Ehendricks

Outer Banks
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Just bought my 2022 Bronco Sport a week ago and I am noticing it start to squeal on occasion at startup is this normal or is it something to worry about?
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
When something happens on occasions it usually means something isn't right. It's only been a few days and I know you're worried so here are a couple of the normal sounds that it could be.
When the car unlocks or you open a door the headlights and cooling fans turn on, this creates a light hum not really a squeal. However when I park in the garage it seems to amplify the sound to more than just a hum and almost tinny.
Another would be there are a lot of complaints on the forum about a squeal in reverse, but you say this is at startup or could you have just notice when you backed up.
Then there is the mystery growl, which has lots of threads, but again this really isn't a squeal.
Hope this helps, otherwise I recommend calling your salesman who might be able to get you inspected faster than service as it's only a week old.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hope this helps, otherwise I recommend calling your salesman who might be able to get you inspected faster than service as it's only a week old.
In addition to all Ben said, you can really help yourself on a forum like this with specifics. By "startup" do you mean engine start, or just when you turn the power on? Is the noise correlated with engine speed? In other words, does volume of frequency change with engine RPM? Does the noise change or disappear? Under what circumstances? Just by itself after the engine is running for some time? When you put the car in gear? When you start driving?

The more details you provide the better chance someone can help you narrow down the possibilities.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Just bought my 2022 Bronco Sport a week ago and I am noticing it start to squeal on occasion at startup is this normal or is it something to worry about?
First thing that comes to mind
*squeal*
bacon, belts or bearings

OP
OP
Ehendricks

Ehendricks

Outer Banks
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
It is just when I hit the start button. After that I never hear it again so it is a very brief noise

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
It is just when I hit the start button. After that I never hear it again so it is a very brief noise
Hi Erick! I can look into your Bronco's noise concerns on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
As a diagnostic test, once it is started touch a bar of soap, or a candle, on the belt and see if the noise happens again the next time you would expect it to. If the noise goes away, then it is a belt tension issue.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
As a diagnostic test, once it is started touch a bar of soap, or a candle, on the belt and see if the noise happens again the next time you would expect it to. If the noise goes away, then it is a belt tension issue.
As forum members are of varying degrees of mechanical ability, I would suggest doing this once it has stopped and then checking the next startup.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
As forum members are of varying degrees of mechanical ability, I would suggest doing this once it has stopped and then checking the next startup.
It has to get distributed on the belt, so doing it with the engine off would be kind of difficult. On a serpentine belt like on the BS, finding the idler with the ribbed portion of the belt exposed would be ideal for touching it with the soap or candle.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
First thing that comes to mind
*squeal*
bacon, belts or bearings

This made me think of this weekend being off road and thinking about “Deliverance”.

In all seriousness, these little boogers make a lot of strange noises. They are all cataloged is some fashion on the forum.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Sounds less like a belt and more like an issue with the starter. Has it ever happened when the engine auto starts (auto start/stop system)?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It has to get distributed on the belt, so doing it with the engine off would be kind of difficult. On a serpentine belt like on the BS, finding the idler with the ribbed portion of the belt exposed would be ideal for touching it with the soap or candle.
I getcha. But if they rub a portion it will eventually distribute. Alternatively, use something non-contact like WD-40 or
Ford Bronco Sport Squeal at start-up srhdzgd
Ford Bronco Sport Squeal at start-up 7b-6e96339fc1a3_1.9d0ce768051dafc3c6cf8ee347b67de2
Ford Bronco Sport Squeal at start-up M206_fro_00_032017_1500x1500-72-DPI

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
We can keep guessing but op doesn't seem to care we are trying to help... Probably another troll
Sponsored