Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice!

BabyGrinch

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Subaru Crosstrek
Hey All!

Picked up a Big Bend and am happy to report it is big dog worthy.

I was that guy that carried a dog crate with him to a test drive and was able to fit a 42 inch wire crate from MidWest Home for Pets in the Big Bend trim (full size spare).

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folding-Divider-Protecting-Leak-Proof/dp/B000QFT1RC

My pup is an American Akita currently 65lbs at 5 months. Attaching some pictures for reference of the fit. I won't lie its tight but It'll get the job done.

Ford Bronco Sport Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice! PXL_20210118_230103627.MP - Copy

Ford Bronco Sport Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice! PXL_20210120_000335989 - Copy
Sponsored

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Hey All!

I was that guy that carried a dog crate with him to a test drive and was able to fit a 42 inch wire crate from MidWest Home for Pets in the Big Bend trim (full size spare).

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folding-Divider-Protecting-Leak-Proof/dp/B000QFT1RC

My pup is an American Akita currently 65lbs at 5 months. Attaching some pictures for reference of the fit. I won't lie its tight but It'll get the job done.

Ford Bronco Sport Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice! PXL_20210118_230103627.MP - Copy

Ford Bronco Sport Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice! PXL_20210120_000335989 - Copy
Yay
Awesome! I do dog transport. I was so disappointed when I found out my Subaru would not take a 42 inch crate.

madcat811

Outer Banks
First Name
MadCat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Have you traveled with the crate collapsed yet? I think the 42" is just slightly too big (by like an inch) to fit in the cargo area flat on the ground. Have you tried it? What about behind the front seats? I sometimes need to transport a crate while also needing use of the backseat so I'm trying to figure out if it can happen or if I need to mount it to something using my hitch or put it on the roof rack. My BS OB comes sometime this week and I added the cargo mgmt system, so I think it *might* be able to fit it flat on top of the cargo shelf as I've seen measurements that the space is closer to 43" across cause it sits above the wheels. Just curious on what you'd found that works, thanks!

zacman777

Big Bend
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I ended up purchasing this https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2021-pet-kennel-1 for my Dogo Argentino who sheds like a m-fer and will run circles in my backseat.

It was a little costly combared to a wire crate like yours but it looks very well made and collapses to about 4 inches thick.

Ford Bronco Sport Solved - 42 Inch Crate Fits. Big Dog Owners Rejoice! 20220124_134406
How well does this work for you? I really want to get it but my lab puppy is only 10 weeks old now and chews on EVERYTHING. I’m worried since this is mesh material he may chew through it really quickly.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Have you traveled with the crate collapsed yet? I think the 42" is just slightly too big (by like an inch) to fit in the cargo area flat on the ground. Have you tried it? What about behind the front seats? I sometimes need to transport a crate while also needing use of the backseat so I'm trying to figure out if it can happen or if I need to mount it to something using my hitch or put it on the roof rack. My BS OB comes sometime this week and I added the cargo mgmt system, so I think it *might* be able to fit it flat on top of the cargo shelf as I've seen measurements that the space is closer to 43" across cause it sits above the wheels. Just curious on what you'd found that works, thanks!
It unfortunately won't happen in just the cargo area. Simply will not sit flat, just an inch or two too large. It will fly behind the front seats, but again, not sitting flat. I tried every which way to make it happen for a temporary 4 month cross-country move but just gave up and bought a new one when we arrived at our destination.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hey All!

Holy Hairballs Batman, are u sure that dog will fit when he's finished growing.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
How well does this work for you? I really want to get it but my lab puppy is only 10 weeks old now and chews on EVERYTHING. I’m worried since this is mesh material he may chew through it really quickly.
I definitely understand. My Dogo doesn't chew on everything, but what she does chew on she is guaranteed to destroy.

When the kennel is assembled it sort of pulls on the mesh sections making it taught, difficult for a dog to grab with their teeth. My dog's mouth and teeth are huge and the mesh openings are small so its almost impossible for her to grab the mesh to chew. Plus, mine is very calm and relaxed in the car so she normally just lays down and relaxes.

Yours might be a little more rambunctious as he's still a puppy but it should be ok as the mesh is taught like I mentioned. Maybe leave a toy in there with him ...
Sponsored