"Soft Roading" in South Central PA

GOAT Mode

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Does anyone in the region have any suggestions on where one might go to do some soft off-roading? Looking for gravel/dirt roads that are relatively smooth and passable with the stock tires.
Sponsored

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Does anyone in the region have any suggestions on where one might go to do some soft off-roading? Looking for gravel/dirt roads that are relatively smooth and passable with the stock tires.
How far are you from Broadway, Va.? By Brother and I led a small group of Subaru's on some forest trails, just west of there, earlier this year. More specifically just west of Fulks Run Va. You could come down on either I-81 or route 259. It's also possible to get there coming down through WV on Rt 3 but if that seems best to you let me know and I'll give you more specific instructions, on how to head east from Rt 3. Also, if you come down 3, I found WV 151 to be a easy and fun trail, with a few minor creek crossings and a few good places to camp.
If headed west from Fulks Run German River road, is good and leads to both Long Run Road and Rough Run Road but both of them are more challenging and I advise some combination of a Lift/skid plates or 245/65/17 tires, pick any two.

I plan on, organizing and leading a group of sports, on some of these roads, in mid to late October. Let me know if you are interested. Probably be 2 days with the option to do either day or both and to camp or not. Brandywine motel, in Brandywine WV is cheap and not bad. I'll be recommending people either have a Badlands or at least 2 of the 3 mods I mentioned, for day one and all 3 or a Badlands with at least 235/65/17 AT tires, for day two.

OP
OP
GOAT Mode

GOAT Mode

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! I know right where Broadway is. I used to live in Blacksburg. Unfortunately, I just ordered my '23 Big Bend last month, so I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm hoping to find some more local "under the radar" type places, that I can hit the day I drive it off the dealer's lot! A trip to VA would be great, but I won't have any of the mods that you mentioned. At least not right away.

jnot2

Badlands
First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hot Pepper Red BadLands
Keep us posted on your plans. I am in the Fredericksburg area and would be interested in joining you for this

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'd say look for local jeep forums. Probably have some routes with longstanding adventure. Jeepers are different but well organized and they've been at it for a while. Might be the best way to find good clandestine fire roads etc.

OP
OP
GOAT Mode

GOAT Mode

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Broncoal

Badlands
First Name
Allen Fahey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Green Ridge State Forest in Maryland is close to south central Pa. which is all dirt roads.

OP
OP
GOAT Mode

GOAT Mode

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green Ridge State Forest in Maryland is close to south central Pa. which is all dirt roads.
Thank you!! I’ll check it out!!

Tink27

Badlands
First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My h
Ford Bronco Sport "Soft Roading" in South Central PA AA1F37C0-02AD-419F-A8D4-6BAC90215F72
usband and I took dual sport bikes in PA’s Poe Paddy State Park and Bald Eagle State Forest. Absolutely beautiful! Ran into a few Wranglers but no Broncos. Saw some really nice camping spots in Bald Eagle State Forest too if that’s in your plan. A beautiful view along route.

OP
OP
GOAT Mode

GOAT Mode

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My h
Ford Bronco Sport "Soft Roading" in South Central PA AA1F37C0-02AD-419F-A8D4-6BAC90215F72
usband and I took dual sport bikes in PA’s Poe Paddy State Park and Bald Eagle State Forest. Absolutely beautiful! Ran into a few Wranglers but no Broncos. Saw some really nice camping spots in Bald Eagle State Forest too if that’s in your plan. A beautiful view along route.
Great information! I’ve had my sights on Bald Eagle State Forest. Your comment helps me make up my mind. Thank you so much

pepple84

Badlands
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
resurrecting this old thread to see, are there still any SC PA drivers around?

Tomp611

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I’m in Maryland…
Sponsored