Maryland/VA off/soft-roading

Trist0n

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport + OB Package
Howdy all,

Have any of you hit these trails? I'm looking to somewhere to dip my toes in the water. Not after anything crazy. I'm looking to check out Meadow Mountain, which as I gather is essentially a gravel road (that's fine to start!), but can find very little info about the other Maryland ORV trails other than they exist and where. I've got JCR engine and bumper skid plates (why not?), and some basic safety/recovery gear (shovel, traction boards, hitch and strap that wont explode, spares, etc). Would rather not put myself somewhere where they're necessary but figured it's better to have them and not need them than wish I had them later! I've got some basic offroad and recovery experience from working on a rural Montana ranch, but nothing formal and I wont pretend that's a substitute; just trying to get off the beaten path a bit
  • Ford Bronco Sport Maryland/VA off/soft-roading {filename}Backbone Mountain/Burkholder Road ORV Trail (2.7 Miles)
    That portion of Backbone Mountain Trail beginning near the intersection of Swanton Hill Road and Maryland Route 135 and running northwest in two branches to the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services Backbone Mountain Youth Center and to the boundary line of the forest may be used only by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during deer firearms season; and (2) two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles during the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season.

• Ford Bronco Sport Maryland/VA off/soft-roading {filename}Piney Mountain ORV Trail (1.7 Miles)
    The Piney Mountain Trail beginning at the Sang Run-Cranesville Road and ending at the intersection of the Piney Mountain Road and the unnamed dirt road may only be used by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during deer firearms season; and (2) two wheel and four wheel vehicles the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season. The western half of the loop may be used by snowmobiles only, and may not be used by any motorized wheeled vehicle.https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/garrett/snaggy_orv.pdf
  • https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/garrett/snaggy_orv.pdf
  • Ford Bronco Sport Maryland/VA off/soft-roading {filename}Snaggy Mountain ORV Trail (3.2 Miles)
    That portion of Snaggy Mtn. Road, beginning at Cranesville Road and running south along Snaggy Mountain Road/Hutton-Switch Road to the bridge at the head of Herrington Lake may be used only by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during deer firearms season; and (2) two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season. That portion of the trail forming the eastern side of the northern loop beginning and ending at the points where the loop leaves the part of the trail running along Snaggy Mountain Road/Hutton-Switch Road, the southern portion of the trail beginning at the bridge at the head of Herrington lake to the trail's end, and the trail connecting at midway the northern loop to the southern portion of the trail may only be used by snowmobiles and may not be used by any motorized wheeled vehicle.

• Ford Bronco Sport Maryland/VA off/soft-roading {filename}Wallman/Laurel Run ORV Trail
    Laurel Run Road ORV Trail
    : (2.4 Miles) The northern portion of the Trail beginning at the western boundary of the forest at Rileys Spring Branch and running eastward toward the Potomac River along Laurel Run Road to the intersection of an unnamed dirt road may be used only by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during the deer firearms season; and (2) two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles during the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season.

Wallman Road ORV Trail: (3.9 Miles) The eastern portion of the Trail beginning at the western boundary of the forest at Rileys Spring Branch and running southward along Wallman Road to the boundary of the forest near Wallman may be used only by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during the deer firearms season: and (2) two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles during the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season.

• Meadow Mountain Trail:the northern portion of Meadow Mountain trail beginning at and running along East Shale Road (approximately 1/4 mile south of U.S. route 68) southward to the point where it intersects New Germany Road may only be used by: (1) snowmobiles from December 15 through March 15, except during the deer firearm season; and (2) two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles during the remainder of the year and during the deer firearms season.
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Check this out:

"Motor Vehicle Use Maps"
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547

From the FAQs:

What do you mean by vehicle class?
By vehicle class we are referring to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:
• Roads open to highway legal vehicles only
• Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)
• Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (ATV, motorcycle, etc.)
• Trails open to all (full size) vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for jeeps)
• Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)

That's for national forests, Maryland and other states might have something similar for state land.

PS: There must be some good trails there on the moon. :cool:

OP
OP

Trist0n

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check this out:

"Motor Vehicle Use Maps"
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547

From the FAQs:

What do you mean by vehicle class?
By vehicle class we are referring to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:
• Roads open to highway legal vehicles only
• Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)
• Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (ATV, motorcycle, etc.)
• Trails open to all (full size) vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for jeeps)
• Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)

That's for national forests, Maryland and other states might have something similar for state land.

PS: There must be some good trails there on the moon. :cool:
Good info, thank you!

OP
OP

Trist0n

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that are curious, Meadow Mountain was as expected; a dirt road in the forest. It's well maintained and you will probably find it boring but hey, it was a nice shakedown cruise!

Planning to check out green ridge state forest soon with a 50 mile route I stole from the Rivian guys

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that are curious, Meadow Mountain was as expected; a dirt road in the forest. It's well maintained and you will probably find it boring but hey, it was a nice shakedown cruise!

Planning to check out green ridge state forest soon with a 50 mile route I stole from the Rivian guys
Be sure to report back!

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
For those of you who may be interested in Soft roading and live in or near Virginia, You may want to look into Softroad Nation Va. I just did my first trip with them this past weekend. We did a lot of easy trails on Saturday, near Buena Vista Virginia, around Big Piney mtn. After camping with them on Saturday night, we stepped it up a bit on Sunday, with the warning of a minimum of 10" of ground clearance and did Enchanted creek trail.

We had 9 cars on Saturday but 4 or 5 for Sunday as a couple of people bailed out at the end of Saturdays trails and a couple more, in the mourning, on Sunday.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you who may be interested in Soft roading and live in or near Virginia, You may want to look into Softroad Nation Va. I just did my first trip with them this past weekend. We did a lot of easy trails on Saturday, near Buena Vista Virginia, around Big Piney mtn. After camping with them on Saturday night, we stepped it up a bit on Sunday, with the warning of a minimum of 10" of ground clearance and did Enchanted creek trail.

We had 9 cars on Saturday but 4 or 5 for Sunday as a couple of people bailed out at the end of Saturdays trails and a couple more, in the mourning, on Sunday.
Sounds like a good time!

The minimum of 10" of ground clearance would concern me though. :cool:
Sponsored