jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
So i was out offroading today and my whole system froze up. Disabled the awd, wouldn't change goat mode, screen wouldn't work. Rest of the day, the system was freezing and i had to restart the car multiple times. My gps wouldn't work after four the rest of the day. Wonder if ford gets lots of these complaints?? I tho i might try to update to the newer sync software?

Here is a video of me climbing a rock when the system decided to freeze.

Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There could be multiple issues here. First, the power transfer unit in your car is not liquid cooled, which means it is more prone to overheating than those used in the more off-road oriented Badlands. Your owner's manual will tell you if the PTU overheats the computer will disable 4WD until it cools off to prevent permanent damage.

Second, many have reported anomalous electrical system indications; i.e. various seemingly unrelated error messages (it lit up like a Christmas tree!). Almost all of these have been traced back to a bad or weak battery. Consider having your battery load tested. Use that term (load test) specifically; a load test is not the same as a voltage check.

OP
OP
jhnvan

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
My ptu was definitely not overheating at that specific moment. Was my first try up the rock and the car had lots of cooling time before i tried it. No way the ptu was too hot after 10 seconds of use....My main issue was with the software of the car freezing. The screen is unusable, or gets stuck in the reverse screen and won't exit out of it, can't select anything. I had no lights come up in my dash. my battery was recently load tested and it was good.

My system gets really glitchy and lags whenever i go where there is no cell reception as well. Once i get back to area with reception, the car does better. I have wifi and diagnostics disabled or any other type of connectivity disabled in my car so I'm not sure why its doing that.
Sponsored