Scratched black piano trim

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Scratched the black piano trim when I rubbed a small oak branch rather than high center. The paint got rubbed, too. But, isn't scratched. I've seen some threads about this trim coming from the factory scratched, but has anyone dealt with removing scratches? I'm still in northern New Mexico, will deal with it when I get home.
Sponsored

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I'm working on that. Gotta find something to try it on in case of swirling patterns.
Also looking into clear plastic vinal adhesive to cover.
Lots of small branches here too.
I know there are wraps for the pillars costing $250+
I could probably find the link if you want

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Scratched the black piano trim when I rubbed a small oak branch rather than high center. The paint got rubbed, too. But, isn't scratched. I've seen some threads about this trim coming from the factory scratched, but has anyone dealt with removing scratches? I'm still in northern New Mexico, will deal with it when I get home.
Pillar Wraps

Draper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport BL + BL, 2021 Ranger XLT Sport
I emailed these folks... https://www.theocdplug.com/
They said they are working on a kit for the Bronco Sport and it should be out within the next 2 weeks. I don't know if the price will be any better than that listed above, but worth looking into when they start selling their kit.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I thought the whole purpose of piano black trim was to get scratched? :)
More annoying to me is the paint coming off of the trim around my sunroof. I haven't seen that since my 1990 subaru legacy lost shiny black paint by the chunk on the roof edge trim.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I think the issue with this C-Pillar trim, is that it's not painted (I believe?) but is instead just molded black plastic. I like how that saves weight, and cost. But I'm also not keen on how quickly it shows 'spider-web' scratches. There's a simple solution: a mild polishing compound like Turtle Wax Premium Auto Polishing Compound. It's at car parts stores and on Amazon. Other similar products I'm sure, would work just as well. I use it on mine every couple months, then re-wax or re-apply spray wax over the panel. Problem solved.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
As long as it's not too deep you can buff it out, mine came with a few marks when I took delivery. Buffed it all out, then weeks later I start seeing marks again even though I hand wash with clean microfiber towels. I've given up on it for this year, when I give it the spring detail after the winter I'll buff it out again and probably wrap it.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
As long as it's not too deep you can buff it out, mine came with a few marks when I took delivery. Buffed it all out, then weeks later I start seeing marks again even though I hand wash with clean microfiber towels. I've given up on it for this year, when I give it the spring detail after the winter I'll buff it out again and probably wrap it.
What's your go to for a compound

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just washed the car. Dried it with a microfibre cloth after a synthetic chamois. It has two coats of Finish First polish on it.

Now I am a sarcastic bugger, so if sarcasm offends, skip the rest of this post.

You have been warned…

To get it better than that, I would remove it from the truck, clean it within an inch of its life, air blow it dry in industrial clean room conditions, and seal it in shrink wrap and put it away out of the uv light like it was some sort of rare first edition comic book, only to be viewed by robotically controlled arms on a screen.
Or, ya know, just drive the thing and enjoy it.

Told you I was sarcastic.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim 82ACDD42-A15B-4F08-9B60-FC73F4CEDEDD

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just washed the car. Dried it with a microfibre cloth after a synthetic chamois. It has two coats of Finish First polish on it.

Now I am a sarcastic bugger, so if sarcasm offends, skip the rest of this post.

You have been warned…

To get it better than that, I would remove it from the truck, clean it within an inch of its life, air blow it dry in industrial clean room conditions, and seal it in shrink wrap and put it away out of the uv light like it was some sort of rare first edition comic book, only to be viewed by robotically controlled arms on a screen.
Or, ya know, just drive the thing and enjoy it.

Told you I was sarcastic.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim 82ACDD42-A15B-4F08-9B60-FC73F4CEDEDD
So, how do I remove the trim safely without scratching it to prevent scratches? Asking for a friend.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, how do I remove the trim safely without scratching it to prevent scratches? Asking for a friend.
It is always best to over remove things. I would use an angle grinder and cut a good few inches around the edge of the trim to preserve it in its most pristine condition. This also allows for context as to where exactly on the Ute the trim once sat. That’ll do ya.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
This whole thread now makes perfect Mike sense to me ,thanks brother for getting us squared up . Enjoy this forum , keeps me smiling.