spiritedcharm

Badlands
First Name
Scarlett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
How can anyone accurately asses this risk? Ford published a dynamic load limit for the roof, and as far as I know no one here has any data that can tell us on what Ford based it on. My GUESS is the car's rollover characteristics--most likely related to emergency handling--suffer because it's a tall vehicle, and any weight you put up there has a much greater effect on the vehicle's center of gravity than it would on a shorter vehicle. But that's pure speculation, and therein lies your problem.

I don't see how anyone here can answer your question with anything beyond speculation.
I actually got an answer from Ford. "The suggested weight limits are flexible. As long as you aren't going over 125% of the load limit you will be fine - 10-20lbs wont affect the load capacity."

I'll be at 110 lbs, so it should be fine in my situation.
Sponsored

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How can anyone accurately asses this risk? Ford published a dynamic load limit for the roof, and as far as I know no one here has any data that can tell us on what Ford based it on. My GUESS is the car's rollover characteristics--most likely related to emergency handling--suffer because it's a tall vehicle, and any weight you put up there has a much greater effect on the vehicle's center of gravity than it would on a shorter vehicle. But that's pure speculation, and therein lies your problem.

I don't see how anyone here can answer your question with anything beyond speculation.
Absolutely correct. I'm planning on putting 2 kayaks up
I actually got an answer from Ford. "The suggested weight limits are flexible. As long as you aren't going over 125% of the load limit you will be fine - 10-20lbs wont affect the load capacity."

I'll be at 110 lbs, so it should be fine in my situation.
Wow that's amazing that they actually said it's 'flexible'. Unfortunately my total weight, with two kayaks, crossbars, one Hullavator and one rack, will be something like 160 lbs. (and I have a sunroof too). But my thought (hope) is that if I take it slow and leave a lot of distance I "should" be fine. Now I really wish I didn't get the sunroof. If you don't mind, how did you contact them and if you can pass along the contact info? If you don't want to advertise you can send me a DM through this forum. Thx.

Last edited:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
I want to add my quandary to this thread. I have a Badlands with sunroof on order and also plan to haul two kayaks occasionally. The combined weight of the kayaks plus two sets of racks is 110 pounds. I have an email in to my salesman to get the weight of the Ford crossbars as well. Obviously I will be exceeding the weight limit, but it will ONLY be a few times a year for short trips on back roads at lower speeds.. What is the real risk for my situation and is it worth it, considering how much I want the sunroof (which will be down most days)?
you'll be fine.

spiritedcharm

Badlands
First Name
Scarlett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Absolutely correct. I'm planning on putting 2 kayaks up

Wow that's amazing that they actually said it's 'flexible'. Unfortunately my total weight, with two kayaks, crossbars, one Hullavator and one rack, will be something like 160 lbs. (and I have a sunroof too). But my thought (hope) is that if I take it slow and leave a lot of distance I "should" be fine. Now I really wish I didn't get the sunroof. If you don't mind, how did you contact them and if you can pass along the contact info? If you don't want to advertise you can send me a DM through this forum. Thx.
I just asked my salesman to research it for me. He said it was his parts guy told him that. I have it in writing that they said I should be fine

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I just asked my salesman to research it for me. He said it was his parts guy told him that. I have it in writing that they said I should be fine
If I were you I would forward that email to Ford. I would be very surprised if the manufacturer agrees with a dealership parts guy that safety-related limitations are flexible.

spiritedcharm

Badlands
First Name
Scarlett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
If I were you I would forward that email to Ford. I would be very surprised if the manufacturer agrees with a dealership parts guy that safety-related limitations are flexible.
I realize the parts guy's word is not gold. I'm also not too worried about going 10 pounds over the weight limit, any more than I'm worried about going 10 miles over the speed limit, on occasion.

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Here are some videos about roof rack weight limits (offroad vs static).

This video goes over a lot of the Q&As that I've seen in this thread:

In my opinion, if your roof rack weight limit is 100 lbs, then you'll probably be physically ok if you're at 110 but you won't be legally OK. If your rack get ripped off by the wake of a passing 18 wheeler or if you do an emergency brake and rear-end someone and your rack flies off and kills someone, and the investigation reveals that you knowingly overloaded your roof rack, it won't be Ford who loses that case, it will be you. Maybe that's a risk you are willing to take.

I would recommend that you rethink your RTT desires and just load up what you need on top to stay within the regs listed in the manual. I would not trust Ford making a mannequin vehicle full of RTTs and awnings and other stuff on there. The people who do that are not engineers, they are marketers. Different department.
Sponsored