JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Talking with the parts guy at the dealership (someone who does a lot of boondocking on the logging roads of the PNW), he said he liked the idea of crossbars and basket for those of us with a moonroof. The LockNLoad is good if you don't plan to put too much up there.

He also recommended the FrontRunner cargo boxes such as the Wolfpack as a versatile solution for both up top, in the back, and even in a trailer hitch basket. Likes them better than totes.

He also said that, as a 4WD guy, he was very excited about the Bronco Sport. He took one out into the hills last weekend and was very impressed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent this plan to the the parts guy at the dealership. In general, he thought it made sense as a plan for kitting out the vehicle in stages based on my needs. Thought I would share with you all.

My personal goals

We hope to do some boondocking/dry camping. We want to learn to off-roading, starting light. I am a ham radio operator, volunteering with the County Department of Emergency Management so I also want to support that work. I expect to install a mobile radio.

I know there are no end of options you can get and it gets expensive… So I am trying to plan, thinking in stages. The MAD Industries SEMA build was a bit of inspiration.

Here is what I am thinking.

Early: Protection

In their SEMA build, MAD Industries recommended the following and it makes sense to me. We have lots of gravel on the roads even in the Seattle area. (EDIT: Remove flares & body side molding and add mud flaps)

Next: Rooftop

Being able to carry on the roof seems useful. BUT, as has already been discussed, the biggest constraint is that with a moon roof, there is a dynamic weight limit of 100 pounds. That seems to eliminate a lot of alternatives. For example, the LockNLoad platform itself weighs almost 50 pounds so you cannot carry much on top of that.

Therefore, I am inclined to go the crossbars and carrier route. (He agreed, and said he preferred the basket over box, probably a medium basket would be best especially with the moonroof.)
  • Yakima or Thule (He said both are good and he likes Yakima)?
(Also, he agreed that the roof top tent solution that Ford is offering was a nonstarter with moonroof.)

Later: Camping

Recovery gear and such

Start with what you need for the area. Expand as you gain skill and discover what you need. It gets expensive in a hurry.

His recommendations for the PNW,
  • Air compressor / Deflator
  • Hitch shackle or the hitch step
  • Axe/saw (we have a lot of trees that fall on roads in the PNW)
(Other items are such as boards are not as important here unless doing a lot of snow),

Later stuff: Hitch basket

If needing even more storage, the hitch basket idea is good. Again, wait to see what you need.

Last edited:

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
[*]Paint protection (Leading edge and front fenders)

Next: Rooftop

Being able to carry on the roof seems useful. BUT, as has already been discussed, the biggest constraint is that with a moon roof, there is a dynamic weight limit of 100 pounds. That seems to eliminate a lot of alternatives.

Therefore, I am inclined to go the crossbars and carrier route. (He agreed, and said he preferred the basket over box, probably a medium basket would be best especially with the moonroof.)
  • Yakima or Thule (He said both are good and he likes Yakima)?
Those are the two that I am interested in getting also. Paint protection (FYI the link you provided is broken... or maybe it’s sold out?) and roof storage.

-I’d like to get Paint protection film for the hood and maybe a film to protect the head/fog lights (not sure if they help prevent them from yellowing). My previous car has so many little paint chips/damage from the rocks and I don’t want that to happen with my new BS.

-We go camping a few times a year and was looking into getting a roof rack/basket for more storage. Because of the moonroof, how much is the max weight we can put up there? And what’s the difference between a rack and a box?

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are the two that I am interested in getting also. Paint protection (FYI the link you provided is broken... or maybe it’s sold out?) and roof storage.

-I’d like to get Paint protection film for the hood and maybe a film to protect the head/fog lights (not sure if they help prevent them from yellowing). My previous car has so many little paint chips/damage from the rocks and I don’t want that to happen with my new BS.

-We go camping a few times a year and was looking into getting a roof rack/basket for more storage. Because of the moonroof, how much is the max weight we can put up there? And what’s the difference between a rack and a box?
I fixed the link for paint protection Here it is: https://accessories.ford.com/foil-protection-13059.html#2021/Bronco Sport

their recommendation for max weight while driving (dynamic weight) is 100 pounds. Search his forum for a lively discussion what this means.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
I fixed the link for paint protection Here it is: https://accessories.ford.com/foil-protection-13059.html#2021/Bronco Sport

their recommendation for max weight while driving (dynamic weight) is 100 pounds. Search his forum for a lively discussion what this means.
Thanks for fixing the link. The Paint Protection for Ford.com doesnt cover the entire hood or side fenders so i'm thinking you'll be able to see a line where the rest of the hood/fender doesnt have Paint Protection. I'm going to look around and see if I can get a good deal on covering the whole hood.

I'm looking into getting the Yakima Road Warrior basket? Is there a difference between roof rack vs roof basket or is rack/basket used interchangeably?

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for fixing the link. The Paint Protection for Ford.com doesnt cover the entire hood or side fenders so i'm thinking you'll be able to see a line where the rest of the hood/fender doesnt have Paint Protection. I'm going to look around and see if I can get a good deal on covering the whole hood.

I'm looking into getting the Yakima Road Warrior basket? Is there a difference between roof rack vs roof basket or is rack/basket used interchangeably?
Let us know what you find out. I recall that MAD Industries said they use Nano Fusion Paint Protection Film. But I don't know where you can get that.

I think we were contrasting the roof basket and a roof box

Both require crossbars

Meathanky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm considering a roof box since I would likely only be using it on longer trips and would want the contents protected from the elements during the drive. Given the weight restrictions on the roof, I don't think I'd want to put anything too bulky or heavy on the roof anyway. A basket is probably more versatile, but I don't know what I would use it for that a box couldn't likely do easier/better.

My wife's family has a small cabin about 6 hours away in remote northern MI. In the warmer months, we've been spending more time up there since we're both able to work remotely. Hauling all of the extra clothes and bedding we typically bring (no laundry there) usually makes for the car being absolutely jam packed. I'm thinking a cargo box could make things a little more manageable for those trips and other potential long road trips.

I've never had or used a cargo box for any of my previous vehicles, so I'm still somewhat questioning how much I actually need and will use it. If not the cost, the need to store it somewhere when I'm not using it is a potential problem (small garage). I also think I would have to put it on the car outside of the garage due to the height. I live in the city of Chicago and hanging out in an alley with your car to put your roof box on and load it is a great way to get carjacked (sadly this is becoming a real concern).

I'm curious to hear if others that have roof boxes and baskets always leave them on their vehicles, only when they're using them, etc.
Sold my cargo box to get the basket just because of parking heights, when empty you cant go in anywhere as average heights 6'6" hotel undergrounds , shopping , even my condo.
Plus the basket looks better on the bronco
Sponsored