JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Thinking about roof top accessories, what is your preference: a roof basket or a roof box? Why?
Sponsored

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
How about a platform? Yakima LocknLoad looks pretty great.

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about a platform? Yakima LocknLoad looks pretty great.
because it is so heavy, it seems to me to be a non-starter if you have a moonroof. but happy to hear alternative views

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Thinking about roof top accessories, what is your preference: a roof basket or a roof box? Why?
I'm considering a roof box since I would likely only be using it on longer trips and would want the contents protected from the elements during the drive. Given the weight restrictions on the roof, I don't think I'd want to put anything too bulky or heavy on the roof anyway. A basket is probably more versatile, but I don't know what I would use it for that a box couldn't likely do easier/better.

My wife's family has a small cabin about 6 hours away in remote northern MI. In the warmer months, we've been spending more time up there since we're both able to work remotely. Hauling all of the extra clothes and bedding we typically bring (no laundry there) usually makes for the car being absolutely jam packed. I'm thinking a cargo box could make things a little more manageable for those trips and other potential long road trips.

I've never had or used a cargo box for any of my previous vehicles, so I'm still somewhat questioning how much I actually need and will use it. If not the cost, the need to store it somewhere when I'm not using it is a potential problem (small garage). I also think I would have to put it on the car outside of the garage due to the height. I live in the city of Chicago and hanging out in an alley with your car to put your roof box on and load it is a great way to get carjacked (sadly this is becoming a real concern).

I'm curious to hear if others that have roof boxes and baskets always leave them on their vehicles, only when they're using them, etc.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I have a roof box and I think it has some advantages but you are limited by the shape of the box.

A basket has no limit on how bulky your items are, but will fit and can stack higher if needed. Also it's exposed if you have weather sensitive items like sleeping bags.

Maybe a basket or box is dependent what you will put on top

Heck get both, and swap when needed. You can either get a high quality basket, and a cheap box, or vice versa or get both cheap or get both high quality.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Another option would be a hitch carrier and some totes. I had a Yakima box years ago and it was a PITA to open (hinge arms would always pop out), bulky to store when not in use, etc.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Another option would be a hitch carrier and some totes. I had a Yakima box years ago and it was a PITA to open (hinge arms would always pop out), bulky to store when not in use, etc.
I have a hitch carrier I use all the time - its great. Just put everything that can't get wet in a dry bag. Then can easily hold hundreds of pounds.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is another option I'm looking at. Thoughts on the carrier w/totes on the hitch vs. a hitch mounted box?

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
This is a good discussion. I'm going with just roof rail crossbars as kayak carrying will be primary use-case, though locknload might work for that too.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
This is another option I'm looking at. Thoughts on the carrier w/totes on the hitch vs. a hitch mounted box?
We use a hitch carrier with totes. I believe it's a more flexible setup. Without the totes we can strap trash to the carrier for a trip to the dump. And totes are easier to store. We hang the carrier on a wall when not in use. For those with the room, we bought a small pull behind trailer. 3.5 x 5 ft. That little trailer has been one of the best buys. We use it a lot.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We use a hitch carrier with totes. I believe it's a more flexible setup. Without the totes we can strap trash to the carrier for a trip to the dump. And totes are easier to store. We hang the carrier on a wall when not in use. For those with the room, we bought a small pull behind trailer. 3.5 x 5 ft. That little trailer has been one of the best buys. We use it a lot.
There is a dump "in town" that I have to take all the garbage to when we leave the cabin, which usually means I have to do that before I can pack the car to avoid spills, stains, etc. This could potentially solve that issue as well.

Any specific carrier, totes or cordage you recommend for securing the totes?

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
There is a dump "in town" that I have to take all the garbage to when we leave the cabin, which usually means I have to do that before I can pack the car to avoid spills, stains, etc. This could potentially solve that issue as well.

Any specific carrier, totes or cordage you recommend for securing the totes?
We've never used any special totes. I personally prefer using the bungee netting to strap everything down. We do have to watch placement of the bungee when using our Forester. The exhaust burned through the bungee. Never happened on the Wrangler or the escape. A Sport is replacing the Forester.

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dinglehead