SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am staying at a resort near Grand Tetons National Park and what do I see? A red Big Bend Bronco Sport. I asked the two women who were in it and they told me it was a rental from Budget Rental!

I was shocked that it was a rental since Bronco Sports are in short supply. I guess Ford wants people to drive it and want one even though they will have a hard time finding them at dealers.

The two women were extremely impressed with the Bronco Sport and one was seriously thinking of buying one next year. I guess Ford sending some to rental car companies is driving demand although they don't really need it right now.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well in fairness, there really aren't many options of any brand to choose from, and to me, that's an incredible marketing strategy for Ford. Particularly if you consider the location, what better way to draw in consumers than put them behind the wheel. For rental companies the Sport is a great option, lots of room, driveability and comfort, all at a budget. While they are tough to get now, many people are backing out, leaves a lot available. Rental companies have to stock their lots with something. This chip crap won't last forever.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Well in fairness, there really aren't many options of any brand to choose from, and to me, that's an incredible marketing strategy for Ford. Particularly if you consider the location, what better way to draw in consumers than put them behind the wheel. For rental companies the Sport is a great option, lots of room, driveability and comfort, all at a budget. While they are tough to get now, many people are backing out, leaves a lot available. Rental companies have to stock their lots with something. This chip crap won't last forever.
A notable (possibly unintended) marketing boon of the last century was the inclusion of mini bottles of Tabasco sauce in WWII C-rations. Something nice to enhance the mundane food, many soldiers returned home and remembered it a bright spot in a miserable situation.
Fast forward to now, people emerging from a year-long pandemic, getting out enjoying the outdoors for the first time, and in a Bronco Sport!
An oblique comparison, but possibly some similar effect from a marketing standpoint?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I was shocked that it was a rental since Bronco Sports are in short supply. I guess Ford wants people to drive it and want one even though they will have a hard time finding them at dealers.
There are two dozen on lots within twenty mile of my home with another thirty shown as ordered. There is a shortage of BL+BL, my goal, so I'm shifting plans to a 22 when the order bank opens.

It seems to me it's a shortage of certain options more that the actual BS itself.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
There are two dozen on lots within twenty mile of my home with another thirty shown as ordered. There is a shortage of BL+BL, my goal, so I'm shifting plans to a 22 when the order bank opens.

It seems to me it's a shortage of certain options more that the actual BS itself.
What zip code are these lots in if you don't mind saying? If I found a BB optioned the way I want, and I could get it now, I might forgo my OB that may or may not get built this year.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
A notable (possibly unintended) marketing boon of the last century was the inclusion of mini bottles of Tabasco sauce in WWII C-rations. Something nice to enhance the mundane food, many soldiers returned home and remembered it a bright spot in a miserable situation.
Fast forward to now, people emerging from a year-long pandemic, getting out enjoying the outdoors for the first time, and in a Bronco Sport!
An oblique comparison, but possibly some similar effect from a marketing standpoint?
Nah I'd say that's the same simple subtle placement or enticement. Completely followed the logic. People want to get out and live a bit. Can't find bikes anymore...the great American adventure is on.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What zip code are these lots in if you don't mind saying? If I found a BB optioned the way I want, and I could get it now, I might forgo my OB that may or may not get built this year.
20 min west of Cleveland

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My son manages a large corporate fleet that has everything from heavy duty tractors to small company cars. He buys quite a few Fords. Said he is considering base BS's if they are ever available as company cars in locations that have a lot of snow. Their price makes them attractive as rentals and company cars.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
My son manages a large corporate fleet that has everything from heavy duty tractors to small company cars. He buys quite a few Fords. Said he is considering base BS's if they are ever available as company cars in locations that have a lot of snow. Their price makes them attractive as rentals and company cars.
Base models can usually be found without too much effort. But if they are on the lot a lot of dealers want over MSRP for them.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Base models can usually be found without too much effort. But if they are on the lot a lot of dealers want over MSRP for them.
Large companies order vehicles at a fleet price. Way back of invoice. He buys hundreds of Fords annually. Right now, like everyone else, he has orders he can't get built. Were supposed to have built 70 F350's for him last week. Built none. This Wuhan Virus has sent shock waves through every facet of our economy and personal lives.

When things get "normalized" (assuming this isn't the new normal) I expect rental companies will opt for some Sports. I can't see Ford selling many Broncos to rental companies at reduced prices when they can sell all they can build for the retail market.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rental companies stopped buying and sold off when the C19 lock downs hit and are short as a result.
Not to pan the Sport at all but they are picking up what they can get and charging a ton for the cars available.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I am staying at a resort near Grand Tetons National Park and what do I see? A red Big Bend Bronco Sport. I asked the two women who were in it and they told me it was a rental from Budget Rental!

The two women were extremely impressed with the Bronco Sport and one was seriously thinking of buying one next year. I guess Ford sending some to rental car companies is driving demand although they don't really need it right now.
My son recently bought a base BS for an employee to drive as a company car. He had been driving an AWD Edge, but couldn't find one. Says he will buy more if they ever get numbers to the point he can get fleet pricing.

We were up on a forest road in Hinsdale County, CO, yesterday and ran across a Forest Ranger. First thing he said was how much he liked the BS we were driving. Then he asked if it was mine or a rental. We were kind of puzzled by that remark. Maybe they are seeing some rentals in CO.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Our dealer uses one as a loaner car. It works because a friend had it for a day and told me how much she loved it.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Reminds me of why I have a Bronco Sport. I was a truck man from 1973 on. Bought an F100, then a F150, then a couple of Ford Rangers. Had no use at all for cars or SUVs or anything but trucks.

We go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks each year and are in a loyalty program for Budget Rent a car and one year they gave us a free upgrade to a SUV. We liked it quite a lot.

Then for the next 4 years, every year we got a free upgrade to a SUV. We liked them well enough to start looking at SUVs, and around then the Bronco Sport showed up. I saw one online for a local dealer, actually I saw 6 because that's what they had. It was Wednesday, made an appointment to meet the Internet Manager on Saturday.

When we got there, he told me they were down to only 1 Bronco Sport on the lot. With my luck, I figured it wasn't the one I liked and figured we'd say thanks but no thanks. But surprise, surprise, it was the one I liked the best of the 6 and we bought it on the spot.

Still got one of the Ford Rangers, though...

Larryjaquins

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yep one dealer where I live has a bronco sport and a four door bronco as loaner cars
Sponsored