Removing factory floor mats, cargo mgmt. system, etc.?

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
If they are selling at MSRP/sticker price, then these additions are not over the top expensive and all are options that are popularly chosen. Thus, I’d suggest none should stop you from buying and none will be beneficial to sell, but you will be happy.

Buy it and avoid the wait!

edit: also, I have all of these options on my Outer Banks and I am happy with them
Good advice!
Removable cargo mat is a nice feature, along with rubber floor liners. I guess I could store the carpet mats in my garage but I just left them in the car under the removable cargo mat.

Seriously, if someone wanted to save some bucks, dropping the Outerbanks trim model and picking up a Big Bend trim model would be much more cost effective than trying to eliminate cargo mat, cargo management system and floor liners. To each their own.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
In the end, as long as you are paying MSRP for it, then this deal is way better that what most people that buy off the lot are paying. Not only are you paying less than them but you are getting something for the money. Most "off the lot" vehicles are getting "Additional Dealer Markup" which on the BS seems to be in the $3-5k range. The one you are looking at comes with something like $1000 (guesstimate) of accessories. If you want/need the vehicle sooner, this seems like a very small price to pay. On top of that, you have the opportunity to recoup a fair bit of that by selling some of those items here in the forum. It will take some effort but at least you can if you want.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi all,

Looking to get a BS Outer Banks soon but hoping to get around the 6-month order timeline my dealer told me by shopping for existing inventory. I found a great car in my color preferences— the only thing is that it has several options that are simply not needed and bump up the sticker price. They include the Cargo Management System, Cargo Mat, Front and Rear Splash Guards, and Floor Liners w/ Carpet Mats.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these are things that can be bought after-purchase as accessories anyway so my hope was that I could just have them taken off during purchase. However, a sales manager at the dealer that has this vehicle told me that they can't be taken off because they're factory installed, but I could sell them on my own afterwards if I want to.

Just wondering if there's still any room to trim down this car a little bit if I were to actually go to the dealer and say I would buy it if they took these things off. I realize my negotiating power is pretty limited these days, but am wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences or been successful.

Thanks!
my experience, nope...what's built is built, at least the dealer I worked with, and he was, I would consider, pretty straight up. I paid less than MSRP, etc. But, whatever it came with it, came with. I'd be surprised if they budge, the markup is money in their pockets... depends on how much they need the sale.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Fairly sure it's just an extra, removable rubber mat. Probably great if you plan on throwing muddy things in the back or if you have a herd of Golden Retrievers who shed everywhere.
it's nice...my BS came with it, I swooped on a backout when it seemed like my build was going to take an extra couple of months as my lease ran out. I loaded a number of wet things including leaking rust...it contained the water, and rinsed off with a hose and a little scrubbing. It's been a welcome 'mistake'. I didn't add the mats on my original, and looking back, I'm glad someone else did it for me :)

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Those are all low cost options and dealer is not going to remove any of them. You can keep debating what to do and someone else will buy it then back to square one.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Hi all,

Looking to get a BS Outer Banks soon but hoping to get around the 6-month order timeline my dealer told me by shopping for existing inventory. I found a great car in my color preferences— the only thing is that it has several options that are simply not needed and bump up the sticker price. They include the Cargo Management System, Cargo Mat, Front and Rear Splash Guards, and Floor Liners w/ Carpet Mats.
Cargo Management option (not available later): $110
Cargo Mat (see below): $130
Front and Rear splash guards: $220
Floor Liners with mats: $200. I don't think I've ever seen a BS window sticker without this. Sometimes they only have this one.
Total here is $660. If you don't buy it, someone will and you can wait 6 months or longer and hope prices don't go up.

Look over the window sticker carefully. Things that are listed as factory options have to sell with the vehicle. Legally have to. There might be some on a separate column listed as DIO or dealer installed options. You might be able to negotiate on those. On that list, the Cargo Mat and the Splash Guards are the only things that I expect might be DIO category. So you're negotiating the last $350 on a $35,000 car and the dealer has zero incentive to negotiate on those items.

Most dealers are adding more "market incentive" than that to vehicles. If you are getting an MSRP or lower price with those options, you're getting a bargain. Either resell the mats and guards and recoup a portion, or just live with them. They're pretty nice additions that you'll probably buy some version of aftermarket. Like, who doesn't want floor mats at all? WeatherTech cargo liner (overpriced brand IMO) is $110. F+R mats at Wally World would fit worse and cover less and cost at least $50.

One has a horse on it. Literally the only difference. I asked about the comparison between the OEM stock mat and the upgraded version when placing my order. Had a good chuckle about it. Is it a $130 horse? You decide.
I compare the mat in question to a rubber material instead of the "plasticky" material of the cargo floor. It's an added layer of protection. It "sticks" most cargo better from sliding and it comes out easy and can be pressure washed. I suppose the cargo floor could also, but just feeling the material it reminds me of MDF and I would be afraid to soak it. You can get aftermarket mats too. WeatherTech I mentioned above is only $20 less, and some generic ones on Big Rainforest's site save like $50 of the Ford price. So at worst, it is a $50 horse, and the horse fits every notch and bump on the floor perfectly vs. a generic "sheet" or cut to fit brand.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have my cargo mat on backorder, but from what I can recall, the major difference is there is a lip on the mat edge and the stock one that comes with your vehicle is nearly flush edge to edge. This may protect on liquid spills getting all over the place (depending on your driving style of course.)

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Hi all,

If I'm not mistaken, all of these are things that can be bought after-purchase as accessories anyway so my hope was that I could just have them taken off during purchase. However, a sales manager at the dealer that has this vehicle told me that they can't be taken off because they're factory installed, but I could sell them on my own afterwards if I want to.

Just wondering if there's still any room to trim down this car a little bit if I were to actually go to the dealer and say I would buy it if they took these things off. I realize my negotiating power is pretty limited these days, but am wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences or been successful.

Thanks!
If you decide you don't want the cargo management system, i'll trade you for my non management parts ...:)

*EDIT: I'll even send you $1k with my parts if you send me everything needed for the cargo management system.

Last edited:

BlueBayeux

Badlands
First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi Zach, I'm in Texas as well. I went to Ford's website and looked up every dealer in the state. Starting with the ones closest, I went to their individual websites to look at their in-stock/in-transit BS inventory. I ended up finding 6 that had every combo I wanted after going to about 2 dozen websites. Then I had to call to get the "actual" price as many are playing the "you can't get these right now" mark up game. My local dealerships were $2k-$3k over sticker. The one I ended up buying was in Houston at Conroe Ford. They did charge $599 over sticker price but tinted my front windows, gave me wheel locks and bought/shipped me an engine cover so to me, that was fair. They also had 4 other BSs on the lot when I went to pick mine up. From start to finish I bought my BS in 2 weeks, with the exact options/color I wanted. It's well worth the effort!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
From start to finish I bought my BS in 2 weeks, with the exact options/color I wanted. It's well worth the effort!
per·sist·ence | /pərˈsistəns/

noun

: firm or obstinate continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.

"Bronco Sport buyers must have patience and persistence to get the car with the exact options/color desired, but the rewards are well worth the effort."

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Interesting… I do like the horse, but I think the ~dozen others throughout the car suffice. Does it stick on top of the existing liner or replace it completely? Will help me interpret whether it’s feasible to have them take it off or if it’ll cause problems. Kind of disappointing that the existing inventory comes with this random stuff.
All BS's have the rubberized back but this a mat that goes on top of it for easier cleaning.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I wouldn't call the one in my Big Bend a mat, it's more like a wood floor with a rubber-like coating. It still will lift out for cleaning and to access the spare tire. The actual mat might be nice to have if you could get it with your Ford points.

Michael G

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The only thing that I do not like about the cargo management system is they add some protrusions on either side wall to catch the platform and it cuts down on the width of the back area when you don't have the platform in. I chose against it for these reasons. You loose about 3?-$? inches of width there.

wibled

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2015 Mustang GT, 2002 T-bird
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2021-ford-bronco-sport-cargo-mat.html
I’m sure it’s this. One of the first two options, either compact or full-size spare. I’m just not sure what the difference in the 2 mats is, though they have 2 different part numbers.

I’m trying to get my dealer to add this in through their parts & they seem to think the BL needs the compact spare one though I pointed out to them what I thought was correct.
The rear floor sits higher in a BS with a full-size spare than with the compact spare, so the rear mats are molded to conform to this difference. They are different...
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE