Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey All,
please excuse posting this again but I could not find an answer in other posts, addressing the same/similar issues.
I couldn't underline "occasionally" in the title, but that's what it is ... usually starts fine, but occasionally .. no reaction ...
just the short beeps and red led on the fub. (instead the usual green).
The battery is good / no warnings when playing music after engine off, etc.
It's always from the same place / no obstructions.
I checked, when it happened, for ajar door etc.
It worked one day ... and the next it didn't ... even though the car has not been moved.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
That happens to me (Badlands) very often. The only explanation I can GUESS is that the battery is monitored continually and if below a certain charge level, auto start is turned off. When not working, the "auto start" symbol appears on the dash with the line drawn through it, showing me that it is off. Perhaps if you've been just driving short trips, the battery just does not charge up to that minimum level.

OP
OP
BroncMan

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
That happens to me (Badlands) very often. The only explanation I can GUESS is that the battery is monitored continually and if below a certain charge level, auto start is turned off. When not working, the "auto start" symbol appears on the dash with the line drawn through it, showing me that it is off. Perhaps if you've been just driving short trips, the battery just does not charge up to that minimum level.
Thanks for the quick reply, Outback Texan
Interesting!
So - it has been VERY cold for the last week (-30C overnight) and I have been away, so the car has been sitting untouched. When I came back I started remotely ... it worked! ... let it run for 10 minutes ... just being concerned and to be nice :) The next day it didn't work!
I also have to mention that the "Auto Stop/Start" stopped working in the past. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery, which worked fine but just not to the fullest level, (just over 12V) which prevented that feature ... and also had a warning when the radio was on after engine off "... shut off to prevent battery drainage" ... to that effect.
And yes - I only drive about 10 km to work daily.
So-could there be a correlation between short drives and cold temperature?
If so, there cannot be done much, I guess. Winter is winter and it would be odd to drive longer distances just for the battery's sake ... ??? ... or move to remote, hot Texas :)

Any further comments are highly appreciated.
Thanks

Sig Oris

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BSOB
Lots of discussion on this in the Ranger5g forum. If your doing short drives it may be in you best interest to connect a trickle charger. I have our BS-OB and Ranger connected to a CTECK changer when parked for long durations at home. We are both retired.

Fordone Badlands

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Thanks for the quick reply, Outback Texan
Interesting!
So - it has been VERY cold for the last week (-30C overnight) and I have been away, so the car has been sitting untouched. When I came back I started remotely ... it worked! ... let it run for 10 minutes ... just being concerned and to be nice :) The next day it didn't work!
I also have to mention that the "Auto Stop/Start" stopped working in the past. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery, which worked fine but just not to the fullest level, (just over 12V) which prevented that feature ... and also had a warning when the radio was on after engine off "... shut off to prevent battery drainage" ... to that effect.
And yes - I only drive about 10 km to work daily.
So-could there be a correlation between short drives and cold temperature?
If so, there cannot be done much, I guess. Winter is winter and it would be odd to drive longer distances just for the battery's sake ... ??? ... or move to remote, hot Texas :)

Any further comments are highly appreciated.
Thanks
I would connect a trickle charger at least once a week and leave it overnight or untill it indicates a full battery. I use a NOCO 2 amp unit.

OP
OP
BroncMan

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I would connect a trickle charger at least once a week and leave it overnight or untill it indicates a full battery. I use a NOCO 2 amp unit.
Thanks, all
that sounds to be the problem.
Sorry about my ignorance but what is a trickle charger? as opposed to a regular charger?

Thanks

PS: just looked at Amazon ... need advise:
some are 1-2 amps, others are 4 or 6 amps. (all Noco)
What effect has the difference in ampere on the performance?

Last edited:

Fordone Badlands

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Thanks, all
that sounds to be the problem.
Sorry about my ignorance but what is a trickle charger? as opposed to a regular charger?

Thanks

PS: just looked at Amazon ... need advise:
some are 1-2 amps, others are 4 or 6 amps. (all Noco)
What effect has the difference in ampere on the performance?
Length of time it takes to fully charge a battery. Faster isn't always best.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
A trickle charger is also called a battery maintainer. It's meant to be connected to your battery and left on indefinitely. If you own a toy (motorcycle/boat/4-wheeler/etc.) that you can't use during the winter months you can connect a trickle charger to the battery when you put it away for the winter to prevent battery drain.