READ THIS BEFORE installing Yakima TimberLine cross bars

BabyBronco44

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Note to anyone installing cross bars.. There is a taper to our trucks, the width from rail to rail is narrower at the back than st the front of the truck, so don't do what I did and figure one out, then duplicate on the second bar, crank everything nice and tight... only to realize it is almost 1" narrower towards the back... So had to undo and adjust. Also... The Yakima timberline set, when installing.. Don't tighter the screws that hold the oval part that the bars goes through until you've figured out the width needed and passed the bars through, otherwise the bars don't slide in easily and you can end up scratching the bars trying to wiggle them into place... Put them in loose, put on the truck, figure out your width, then crank the screw to lock the bars to the adapters, then fasten it all the to roof rails.... Wow.. That was longer than intended, but important to note. Might apply to other brands as well...
Sponsored

Speedgrizz

Outer Banks
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F250, 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue
I figured that out too, couldn’t figure out why the bars in the rear wouldn’t center the same as the front.

Obbay1953

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Note to anyone installing cross bars.. There is a taper to our trucks, the width from rail to rail is narrower at the back than st the front of the truck, so don't do what I did and figure one out, then duplicate on the second bar, crank everything nice and tight... only to realize it is almost 1" narrower towards the back... So had to undo and adjust. Also... The Yakima timberline set, when installing.. Don't tighter the screws that hold the oval part that the bars goes through until you've figured out the width needed and passed the bars through, otherwise the bars don't slide in easily and you can end up scratching the bars trying to wiggle them into place... Put them in loose, put on the truck, figure out your width, then crank the screw to lock the bars to the adapters, then fasten it all the to roof rails.... Wow.. That was longer than intended, but important to note. Might apply to other brands as well...
I took mine off to run through the car wash. Now I'm trying to reinstall them and I don't see where they attach to the roof rails. I'm obviously missing something. I didn't remove the towers from the cross bars though I don't know that it matters. What the heck am I overlooking?

OP
OP

BabyBronco44

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I took mine off to run through the car wash. Now I'm trying to reinstall them and I don't see where they attach to the roof rails. I'm obviously missing something. I didn't remove the towers from the cross bars though I don't know that it matters. What the heck am I overlooking?
not sure i understand what you're missing... can you send a picture?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Same on my '18 Escape. Spacing is different front and rear. I marked my Yak towers so I know which crossbar goes on the front and rear. Will be moving rack to my Sport when it arrives so will have to respace everything. Rack goes on in the spring and doesn't come off till late fall.
Ford Bronco Sport READ THIS BEFORE installing Yakima TimberLine cross bars boats escape 1
Sponsored