Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
My wife's '20 Ecosport just started doing the same thing recently, Going to the dealers next week.
Sponsored

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's '20 Ecosport just started doing the same thing recently, Going to the dealers next week.
UPDATE

The dealer had to consult with the sync folks. Supposedly they figured out the answer and the car goes back in this Friday (3/10). I'll post the results when I know. I reached out to the Ford Motor Co rep on this site about this issue. He called me, took all the info, and followed up with the dealer's service department. Hopefully between them, the dealer, and the sync folks they have a solution. I'll know this Friday.

OP
OP
rjs0962

rjs0962

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport-Badlands, BMW330i, Subaru Forester
UPDATE

The dealer had to consult with the sync folks. Supposedly they figured out the answer and the car goes back in this Friday (3/10). I'll post the results when I know. I reached out to the Ford Motor Co rep on this site about this issue. He called me, took all the info, and followed up with the dealer's service department. Hopefully between them, the dealer, and the sync folks they have a solution. I'll know this Friday.
That's great!

I know this forum has got to be a two-edged sword for FoMoCo, but owners exchanging information has a very high value for me.

Ron

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
UPDATE

If possible, can you ask for specifics? What precisely is the cause of this problem? Software? Firmware? Hardware?

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If possible, can you ask for specifics? What precisely is the cause of this problem? Software? Firmware? Hardware?
I'll see Mark. I'll get a printout of the work they do. My problem started out with just the radio turning on by itself. Several Bronco Sport owners are seeing the same symptoms. Our situation progressed to the screen going black at times when driving, back up camera staying on, cannot pair phone, and cannot maintain Wi-Fi connection. Hopefully the Bronco Sport owner's situation doesn't end up like ours.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the dealer had my wife's car all day Friday. They checked all the wiring etc. and couldn't find the problem Now they are ordering a whole new system (?). It should be here in 5 or 6 days, and then we'll get it back in the shop. They said it's about a 2-hour job to replace. I'll keep you folks updated. I just hope your Bronco Sports radio problems don't turn into this also.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Well, the dealer had my wife's car all day Friday. They checked all the wiring etc. and couldn't find the problem Now they are ordering a whole new system (?)…
Yep a bad Module on your wife’s ‘20 Ecosport (or the APIM Module on a Bronco Sport) is certainly one reason for the issue you are experiencing. It was very unlikely to be a software or firmware issue and given you were told the sync team figured out a solution was quite unlikely to be correct. I have seen other Bronco Sport owners have their APIM replaced and the problem went away.

But it would have been nice to see more details for the problem on your ‘20 because there are other known things that can cause the same problem. But let’s see what happens when the dealership gets your ‘20 fixed.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep a bad Module on your wife’s ‘20 Ecosport (or the APIM Module on a Bronco Sport) is certainly one reason for the issue you are experiencing. It was very unlikely to be a software or firmware issue and given you were told the sync team figured out a solution was quite unlikely to be correct. I have seen other Bronco Sport owners have their APIM replaced and the problem went away.

But it would have been nice to see more details for the problem on your ‘20 because there are other known things that can cause the same problem. But let’s see what happens when the dealership gets your ‘20 fixed.

This is my wife's vehicle, so I don't drive it every day. First of all, my wife doesn't listen to the radio much. A month or so ago the radio would be on when she started the vehicle. She would turn it off, and the next time she re-started the car it would be on again. As things got worse, she couldn't turn the radio off. This would lead to the backup camera staying on for an extended time, and eventually the screen would periodically turn black when driving. If you stop the car and wait a few minutes, it would be OK, but the radio would come on again. I did a master reset and it temporarily worked for a while. Then we were back to the same problem. After the reset I tried to reconnect with the internet and re pair her phone. I couldn't do either. This vehicle only has 12000 miles.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK. Here's what happened. The dealer had the car 1 day and could not find the problem. After checking with their technician's hotline, they ordered a new ACM. They had the car Monday and installed the new ACM. So far it seems to be OK with one exception. I connected to my home Wi Fi network Monday night, and when I checked today, I lost the connection. I'll wait a few days and try again.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Is bad APIM. Mine freezes, locks up, blacks out and or lose all hvac controls and cams. Have to disconnect battery at times. Even mirror sensors stop working.
Has been doing this for over 6 months. Is outright dangerous. Literally lose tons of functions instantly.
Have videos etc. happens intermittently but often enough.
Ford could give 2 fucks about your after purchase warranty issues. You’ll wait months for the part and then will be installed by a half wit who leaves grease all over your fucking door handle and steering wheel. And plastics not clipped in right, or clips broken and left that way.

Ford finally had a tech look at it. Said wasn’t taking the update so needs new module. What I had been saying since it started. Ford CM/corporate refused to address it for months until I was gonna lawyer up. Then magically, oh yeah. There is a problem.
I’m really reluctant to have Ford pull the whole dash apart to replace it. They fuck up most things they try to fix under warranty. Then I have to fix properly myself or pay to have done right at another shop.
Anyone able to actually get decent warranty work done from Ford?
I’ve been to 3 dealers. And not one tech could find their dick without a helper and a map. I’ve owned this thing a year and am still waiting on GD warranty parts from when I bought the fucking thing.

I’ve never dealt with such an awful company about honoring warranty issues.
Hope you peeps have gotten it fixed right the first time and have decent dealers by you.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes, that's got to be it--a ghost. In the meantime I'm starting a log to see if I can gather enough data to spot a pattern.
If this is the case, I'd be carrying some chicken bones with me. When the radio kicks on without my assistance, I'd toss the bones in the air and chant for the radio demons to be gone.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
That's great!

I know this forum has got to be a two-edged sword for FoMoCo, but owners exchanging information has a very high value for me.

Ron
As well as them (Ford). They should monitor this site looking at the common problems owners are having and sharing with other members. A valuable resource I'd think for any customer care organization.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Anyone able to actually get decent warranty work done from Ford?
It's definitely hit or miss. I stay away from one of the local Ford dealerships because of bad experience. A few of the others are so-so. One is outstanding--never had a complaint about the work done.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
OK. Here's what happened. The dealer had the car 1 day and could not find the problem. After checking with their technician's hotline, they ordered a new ACM. They had the car Monday and installed the new ACM. So far it seems to be OK with one exception. I connected to my home Wi Fi network Monday night, and when I checked today, I lost the connection. I'll wait a few days and try again.
If you have to go back to the dealership I’m curious if it was the ACM, APIM. Some uses those terms interchangeably.

ACM - Audio Control Module
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module aka SYNC computer

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I’ve been to three dealers. Each in different state. One in NY, VT, and MA and really no difference. Mines def the APIM. Have to pull the whole center stack out, plastic around wheel and center console, shifter, etc to replace one little thing. Ford should upgrade me to the NAV module just on principle at this point.
My dash already rattles. I’m afraid it’s gonna get way worse
Sponsored