Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I recently installed a JB4 on my full sized Wildtrak and wow what a difference. This made me explore what I could do to my wife’s Bronco Sport and found that it is the same part! So I ordered one for it, too.

I will be posting installation process and dragy data per map once it arrives and I get it going.

The only other mod currently is a K&N drop in filter.

Stay tuned! (Pun intended)

UPDATE - 3/14/22

Hey Folks,

So I got the installation completed over the weekend. Pardon the crude markups in the photos. While the install was easy, frustration developed quickly (more on that later).

First I opened the hood, locked the vehicle and put the key in my bedroom and waited 5 minutes for the computer to sleep (as per instructions).

As you can see, I mounted the JB4 on the plastic guard above the firewall. I used Velcro and it holds very solid. I mounted the Bluetooth dongle to the right of it, away from the box and other metal parts (as per the instructions). I routed the harness as shown. Connecting the middle connectors to the rear MAP sensor and the end of the harness to the front MAP sensor. A few Velcro loops tidied it up a bit. It blends in with the rest of the hose/harness/wiring mess that is under our hoods.

Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 0dde3ef2-a364-4f17-9bcc-559a01c046a6-jpe

I routed the OBDII harness from the JB4, to the drivers side, (I drilled a hole to wrap the excess wire to) then through the foam separator and ultimately through the grommet in the side of the door jam. This was a tough choice, but the firewall grommet for the main harness is more difficult to get to and the door side positions the OBDII plug right near where it has to plug in to the vehicle. Please note that the photos do not show the actual cable, but highlights and mock-ups (again, more on that later).

Also, please note that you must pop out the grommet, fish a hanger (or equivalent) through the hole and then attach the JB4-side of that harness and pull it back through and route as described. The OBDII plug will not fit through the grommet.

Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 f7b0e78a-68a7-4443-8ad5-034bbe07af25-jpe

Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 da5106ea-223e-4ddb-9aad-f39496489e02-jpe

Now for the frustrating part. I get everything connected. Grab my key and start the vehicle. I am immediately greeted with check engine lights and other warnings lighting up my dash.

BUMMER.

So I start double checking all connections. I also go ahead and pair up my phone to the system. All connections were correct and the app was working. I reverted it all back to stock and was able to clear up the dash. Re installed and they all came back.

So I put in a call to Lethal, whom which I bought the JB4 from. They said since Burger doesn’t list a phone number, that emailing directly was my best method of resolution.

No phone number? Now I was concerned.

I promptly sent an email to there support email.Much to my surprise, within an hour , late on a Friday evening, I get a reply from Terry Burger himself! He was extremely attentive to the issue. Emailed back and forth with me with strategic troubleshooting steps. Very detailed and very professional. After all of the troubleshooting, it was determined that there was something wrong with the JB4 board itself, and possibly the OBDII harness, and he said replacements will be shipped out today.

In a world where customer service is out the window (especially post-Covid), this was an excellent breath of fresh air. If this device does to our Sport what it did to our full sized Bronco, I will be one happy camper.

Sooooo, I have to wait to get a replacement, but am very pleased with the backbone behind the product so far. All manufacturers have a percentage of failures and Burger Tuning has the customer service skills in place to take care of business.

More to come after the replacement!

Update 3/18/22

The replacement board arrived. The issue remains. Emailed Burger and they emailed back within 15 minutes. Couple of troubleshooting emails back and forth and determined that it must be the harness. They are sending a replacement harness out via FedEx 2nd Day Air. Fingers Crossed!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Just to caution you: many of the threads about blown engines or even lesser problems with injectors, misfires due to plugs/coils, or whatever have JB4 in the mods list. There are no "safe" tunes: they all have risk.
From the BMW Forum.
I’d run the Wildtrack with it’s JB4 for about a year first.
Make sure you got a good alibi if you blow your wife’s BS engine !

OP
OP

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just to caution you: many of the threads about blown engines or even lesser problems with injectors, misfires due to plugs/coils, or whatever have JB4 in the mods list. There are no "safe" tunes: they all have risk.
From the BMW Forum.
I’d run the Wildtrack with it’s JB4 for about a year first.
Make sure you got a good alibi if you blow your wife’s BS engine !
Thanks for your concern, Marty. I have a long background in modding vehicles. The last 4 ecoboost vehicles I have owned were heavily modified (i.e.- Big turbo Focus ST (400hp/450tq), Big turbo Fiesta ST (350hp/350tq), Fusion 2.0t, 2.3t mustang, roush blown GT mustang (750hp/670tq), etc). Having said all of that, I am aware that any time you start modding, there is risk. And anyone who is willing to play, better be ready to pay. That is just the name of the game.

Life is too short to not live it to the fullest. For some of us, that means modifying and pulling out as much performance as we can out of the vehicles the we have chosen. Obviously this isnt a speed demon, but it would be nice to have the power of the 2.0 from the 1.5. Time will tell. I will share my findings as I gather them. Should be fun. Thanks again.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Thanks for your concern, Marty. I have a long background in modding vehicles. The last 4 ecoboost vehicles I have owned were heavily modified (i.e.- Big turbo Focus ST (400hp/450tq), Big turbo Fiesta ST (350hp/350tq), Fusion 2.0t, 2.3t mustang, roush blown GT mustang (750hp/670tq), etc). Having said all of that, I am aware that any time you start modding, there is risk. And anyone who is willing to play, better be ready to pay. That is just the name of the game.

Life is too short to not live it to the fullest. For some of us, that means modifying and pulling out as much performance as we can out of the vehicles the we have chosen. Obviously this isnt a speed demon, but it would be nice to have the power of the 2.0 from the 1.5. Time will tell. I will share my findings as I gather them. Should be fun. Thanks again.
i'll agree with this. I've owned several hondas with tuning software, and it was always a great mod. as long as it's a good, safe tune and you arent beating the piss outta the care you're fine.
Hondata and Chrome were the 2 applications i would use, and my tunes were reviewed and revised by a dude way out in new york.

interested to see how this works, keep us posted. And a 350 hp fiesta?!?! that sounds wicked awesome.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Coolio, I to will be watching.
My only experience was minimal.
Doing Stage 1 and later Stage 2 tunes at the Harley Davidson MOCO.
The two tunes there were both very mellow. Stage 1 took a Torque focused 84Hp V-twin to 90 Hp
And Stage 2 up the number to
99 ish or 102 at best.
After that it was porting and polishing internal things with even more air/fuel remapping.
The money stopped me at 2.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got tracking and the JB4 will arrive next Monday 3/14. Hope to install it that evening.

OP
OP

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey Folks,

So I got the installation completed over the weekend. Pardon the crude markups in the photos. While the install was easy, frustration developed quickly (more on that later).

First I opened the hood, locked the vehicle and put the key in my bedroom and waited 5 minutes for the computer to sleep (as per instructions).

As you can see, I mounted the JB4 on the plastic guard above the firewall. I used Velcro and it holds very solid. I mounted the Bluetooth dongle to the right of it, away from the box and other metal parts (as per the instructions). I routed the harness as shown. Connecting the middle connectors to the rear MAP sensor and the end of the harness to the front MAP sensor. A few Velcro loops tidied it up a bit. It blends in with the rest of the hose/harness/wiring mess that is under our hoods.

Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 0DDE3EF2-A364-4F17-9BCC-559A01C046A6

I routed the OBDII harness from the JB4, to the drivers side, (I drilled a hole to wrap the excess wire to) then through the foam separator and ultimately through the grommet in the side of the door jam. This was a tough choice, but the firewall grommet for the main harness is more difficult to get to and the door side positions the OBDII plug right near where it has to plug in to the vehicle. Please note that the photos do not show the actual cable, but highlights and mock-ups (again, more on that later).

Also, please note that you must pop out the grommet, fish a hanger (or equivalent) through the hole and then attach the JB4-side of that harness and pull it back through and route as described. The OBDII plug will not fit through the grommet.

Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 F7B0E78A-68A7-4443-8AD5-034BBE07AF25
Ford Bronco Sport Pulled the trigger on a JB4 DA5106EA-223E-4DDB-9AAD-F39496489E02

Now for the frustrating part. I get everything connected. Grab my key and start the vehicle. I am immediately greeted with check engine lights and other warnings lighting up my dash.

BUMMER.

So I start double checking all connections. I also go ahead and pair up my phone to the system. All connections were correct and the app was working. I reverted it all back to stock and was able to clear up the dash. Re installed and they all came back.

So I put in a call to Lethal, whom which I bought the JB4 from. They said since Burger doesn’t list a phone number, that emailing directly was my best method of resolution.

No phone number? Now I was concerned.

I promptly sent an email to there support email.Much to my surprise, within an hour , late on a Friday evening, I get a reply from Terry Burger himself! He was extremely attentive to the issue. Emailed back and forth with me with strategic troubleshooting steps. Very detailed and very professional. After all of the troubleshooting, it was determined that there was something wrong with the JB4 board itself, and possibly the OBDII harness, and he said replacements will be shipped out today.

In a world where customer service is out the window (especially post-Covid), this was an excellent breath of fresh air. If this device does to our Sport what it did to our full sized Bronco, I will be one happy camper.

Sooooo, I have to wait to get a replacement, but am very pleased with the backbone behind the product so far. All manufacturers have a percentage of failures and Burger Tuning has the customer service skills in place to take care of business.

More to come after the replacement!

OP
OP

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Update 3/18/22

The replacement board arrived. The issue remains. Emailed Burger and they emailed back within 15 minutes. Couple of troubleshooting emails back and forth and determined that it must be the harness. They are sending a replacement harness out via FedEx 2nd Day Air. Fingers Crossed!

OP
OP

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well? Any luck?
Welp, the device seems to be incompatible with my vehicle configuration. Terry said it was something to do with the sensor changing from when they R and D’ed it at launch. I had waited too long at this point and requested a refund. I may or may not buy it again once it is all sorted.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I hope they sort it out. I would be interested in doing this.
Sponsored