Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking!

g2becker

Outer Banks
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Many have experienced clunking after installing aftermarket leveling kits, I think I have possibly figured out the problem. There needs to be clearance on top of strut for rubber gasket to "flex". these after market lifts compress this rubber gasket causing clearance from he top bolt. I designed and spacer and installed on my outer banks and solved the problem. Been driving with it for 2000 miles no issue so far.

Please DM me for more details and if interested in the product!

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! IMG_1094

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! IMG_1016-1

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! IMG_1014-1
Are you still making these spacers? What lift kit did you use them with?
Sponsored

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What is the difference between a lift kit and a leveling kit? Thanks in advance
for helping out a novice

boludaso12

Badlands
First Name
Saran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the ring.

2 weeks ago I installed a 1.5" leveling "puck" (my terminaology) onto my wifes 2021 Badland bronco. The first 6 or so days everything was perfect. The sunday after install, 8ish days, the clunk started. Mainly on the drivers side. It was a very bad clunk, when hitting a bump, stopping, starting, etc... If there was a stiff breeze this clunked. It felt like metal parts rubbing against each other, but not the noise of metal on metal.

I took off the struts and removed the pucks for now as I dont have a fix. I agree with Kcura11 on the potential fix. I inspected both struts after removing. The mounting well, pop the hood to see it, has a swell at the top, roughly 1/4 inch high, from the level at which the bolts mount.

Based on Kcura11's thought, the spacer he designed will provide a space between the top of the strut from the puck. The passenger side strut was perfect. No sign of wear or tear. The drivers side did have some small chunks of rubber removed from the rubber that is exposed at the top of the strut.

I will be making my own spacers at Kcura11 did to see if it will fix the problem, and I cant see how it wont. I still can't figure out way the space is needed, but I cant recreate strut compression with my arms. More gym time needed.

When done I will report back on the issue. Not looking forward to doing it a third time.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the ring.

2 weeks ago I installed a 1.5" leveling "puck" (my terminaology) onto my wifes 2021 Badland bronco. The first 6 or so days everything was perfect. The sunday after install, 8ish days, the clunk started. Mainly on the drivers side. It was a very bad clunk, when hitting a bump, stopping, starting, etc... If there was a stiff breeze this clunked. It felt like metal parts rubbing against each other, but not the noise of metal on metal.

I took off the struts and removed the pucks for now as I dont have a fix. I agree with Kcura11 on the potential fix. I inspected both struts after removing. The mounting well, pop the hood to see it, has a swell at the top, roughly 1/4 inch high, from the level at which the bolts mount.

Based on Kcura11's thought, the spacer he designed will provide a space between the top of the strut from the puck. The passenger side strut was perfect. No sign of wear or tear. The drivers side did have some small chunks of rubber removed from the rubber that is exposed at the top of the strut.

I will be making my own spacers at Kcura11 did to see if it will fix the problem, and I cant see how it wont. I still can't figure out way the space is needed, but I cant recreate strut compression with my arms. More gym time needed.

When done I will report back on the issue. Not looking forward to doing it a third time.
What brand spacer lift did you install?

boludaso12

Badlands
First Name
Saran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Kcura11

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport
If they are from RC, then they are known to cause the issue you are experiencing. HRG seems to be the "go to" now but they are more expensive.
Yes most new companies producing spacer lifts have solved this issue, just seemed like I was the first one to notice it! If I had more people asking me for my invented spacer I would produce more but it inquires slowed down a lot

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Good to know. I was thinking about leveling but these BS models are not the easiest to do.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I was thinking about leveling but these BS models are not the easiest to do.
I don’t know how much easier it could get, unless the BS just came with a suspension that could be dialed up or down.

Mr.Grey

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 cactus grey bronco sport
I recently installed the Belltech 1.5 in lift on my bs and are currently experiencing the clunking noise while hitting bumps. I reached out to Belltech directly and they have a new kit with revised parts and they are sending me the new parts free of charge. I’m guessing these revisions will be new front spacers and camber bolts? I will update when I receive them.
Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! B50ECCFE-93EA-4D35-945B-D59B00661EAF

Mr.Grey

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 cactus grey bronco sport
update on the Belltech 1.5 in lift

New spacers came and looked great!
Spacers were installed this morning and clunking was fixed immediately. The Belltech customer service was very helpful and expedited the shipping so I could install them before my alignment. My only fuss with this kit is the lack of camber bolts but other than that 10/10 for ride comfort after installation. It’s not stock comfort but for running a lift kit and k02s it’s amazing for day to day. I’ll throw some pictures of the comparison of the old and the new spacers and the space in between the top of the strut and the spacer. I forgot to measure but it looked roughly a 1/4 of an inch of travel.

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! 3556E423-4B1C-4B53-8CD6-2E58E4D0EF64

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! 2A9A0229-B244-4AE1-9257-E518F85531CD

New spacer
Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! DDFF1B83-F45F-469D-895A-C2C37C87C104

Old spacer
Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! CE934870-1FEE-4F48-88F1-F93F593E8B9A

Ford Bronco Sport Potential fix to aftermarket leveling kits clunking! 0636196A-358F-4544-A948-54F63FB95E9A

baztien.xplrz

Base
First Name
Reah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I’ve had my RC lift kit installed for about four months now, initially the clunk noise was coming from the rear end links, which was quickly /easily resolved by tightening those nuts (install error), however now (as of last night) the clunk noise is coming from the front struts. It’s looking like I’ll either need to get these spacers (from Kcura) installed or replace the lift kit all together? How safe is it to continue driving in this condition until I am able to get my Bronco to the shop sometime this week?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I’ve had my RC lift kit installed for about four months now, initially the clunk noise was coming from the rear end links, which was quickly /easily resolved by tightening those nuts (install error), however now (as of last night) the clunk noise is coming from the front struts. It’s looking like I’ll either need to get these spacers (from Kcura) installed or replace the lift kit all together? How safe is it to continue driving in this condition until I am able to get my Bronco to the shop sometime this week?
Consider posing this question to the kit vendor/manufacturer.

bryna191

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
For those of you who have been having problems with the rattle going over bumps. Call Robby at Ford Ranger Lifts... his kit fixes the rattle and his customer service is second to none! I had trouble with another brand of lift kit. He showed me where the problem began and how to fix it. He shared a lot of time with me, I ultimately changed from my "other brand" that was causing the issue to his... best decision I've made. Incidentally, I also put his bully bar on mine... very well done.

Ford Ranger Lifts - Ranger, Ford Ranger, Lifts, Truck Accessories
Sponsored