P0299 underboost code?

splytsceond

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos
Anybody here have any experience with an underboost code? Curious what resolved it.

Attempted to pickup our new OBX and 1 mile in it's throwing this code. Left at dealership until further notice but curious what we might be in for or any potential long term or recurring gremlins since the car had 6 miles on it when this began....
Sponsored

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Turbo, boost sensor or wastegate.

OP
OP

splytsceond

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos
bump - are we really the only ones that have run into this issue? lol

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That ETC (engine trouble code) indicates the system boost pressure is not reaching that demanded by the PCM (powertrain control module). Because there are so many different things that might cause this condition (leak in induction system, malfunctioning wastegate, bad turbocharger, etc.) it would be impossible to tell you what might be wrong with your car. If you don't have the skills you'll have to take it to a shop for diagnosis.

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
This was a kind of big problem on some of the ecoboosts and I know it from yhe first year escapes like my 2014 but it didn't start til like 50k miles check your wastegate linkage if it rattles. Often you have to loosen the two bolts that hold the metal pipe from the actual wastegate valve on the turbine (exhaust) half of the turbo that connects to the diaphragm that senses the vacuum and boost pressure in the engine, so the diaphragm isn't pulling on it before you can tell if it's loose, look at the end of my post for an easier test first. on the old ones the metal would expand on the collar allowing the wastegate to open when it should be shut leaking exhaust gas past the turbo to the rest of the exhaust limiting howich the turbo can spin up lowering the boost pressure. Google wastegate issue 2.0 escape or or focus rs or any other Ford cars that had the 2.0 Ecoboost especially in 2013/2014 and you'll see it was supposed to be fixed in the later models so you might have something else like a bad diaphragm or sensor cuz the turbo doesn't just go off the spring in the diaphragm of the wastegate to limit boost anymore they also can manipulate it with the ECU now so there are a few other potential causes and if you low mileage I would hope to God it's not the wastegate issues cuz the only way to fix that is a new turbo the way the turbo is made and it's kind of a big job you can definitely do it cuz I did on my escape but it's not like just changing a part real quick. Drive down a tunnel or something with high walls when it's only you there and accelerate then let off the gas and coast while still in the tunnel or between close high walls to hear it and when your coasting if you hear a rattle it's probably the wastegate problem. Feel free to message me if you need I've been all through that issue and fixed it myself.

Last edited:

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
So just seeing this but my wifes 2021 had this code in the system when our brakes failed at 12k miles. We were doing about 70 down interstate when the wrench popped up. Engine started struggling to hold cruise. I figured id better pull over so got off first exit and headed to a truck stop. Soon as i pulled up to a pump the brakes went nearly to the floor and turned hard as a rock. About a month later ford had to replace the vacuum pump.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had the issue. But it seems to have resolved. It was showing the wrench (same loss of power etc) and the ford app said underboost.

drove home with no issues after a rest and restart, but check engine was on. Next day there was no sign of issues and no check engine. Only thing is still in OBD readings.

I think it was either a transient thing with traffic, altitude etc or a software bug. No issues since.

if it happens again, then for sure I will take it in. Will ask about it next time I’m in either way.

I’m in a 2.0. I mentioned it with screenshots in my review.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Had the issue. But it seems to have resolved. It was showing the wrench (same loss of power etc) and the ford app said underboost.

drove home with no issues after a rest and restart, but check engine was on. Next day there was no sign of issues and no check engine. Only thing is still in OBD readings.

I think it was either a transient thing with traffic, altitude etc or a software bug. No issues since.

if it happens again, then for sure I will take it in. Will ask about it next time I’m in either way.

I’m in a 2.0. I mentioned it with screenshots in my review.
Ford Bronco Sport P0299 underboost code? 1663635586143

vid 4:55 (nice vid btw)
not sure if you've tried it or not yet
visor horizontal shift.

Ford Bronco Sport P0299 underboost code? 1663635814155

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport P0299 underboost code? 1663635586143

vid 4:55 (nice vid btw)
not sure if you've tried it or not yet
visor horizontal shift.

Ford Bronco Sport P0299 underboost code? 1663635814155
Thanks @Major Kong No, I didn’t even think of that. Guess it’s the aging brain.
Sponsored