ctothejdot

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
I'm thinking of getting a 270 awning - not sure on the sizing yet, as i need to find the length of the roof. Want to also get a fridge for when I'm out for longer trips, but concerned about having access to the spare + being able to tie down the fridge appropriately.

tent - when I'm solo I'll sleep in the car, when I'm out with my wife + baby we'll use our ground tent. The biggest appeal to a tow along or a rtt is having the sleeping bags and everything all setup for me, but that's a tradeoff with having to have the rtt up there 24/7 when I'll be doing a lot of daily driving.

Still sorting it all out and looking forward to adventures after my bronco finally lands (crossing fingers for may)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
5’9”. I’m prepared to make my own cargo management system (hammock for my feet) if I need to.

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 46235389-007D-4BC9-A287-AF1C6711FBC4
There is or plenty of room back there without that, the floor to the front seats is at least 76" and can be increased with them pushed forward and the backs inclined forward too.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am really curious to know what that dimension is from the back of the front seats to the tailgate because from the various photos we have seen so far, It is looking like less than 5'. The entire vehicle is only about 14' long.
I think it's 76". There is plenty of room at 5'9", somebody has already tested/ demonstrated that.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Endless possibilities. Rooftop tents are over rated. Your vehicle is a bomb-proof 4 season tent.. pre-wired electrical system, lights, a/c, heater. And like I mentioned, use the rear attachable tent as a vestibule to expand your shelter.
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 57659859-B36F-4F8D-BA57-43FC378FCA4F
Not necessary, to the front seats there's plenty of length n the back.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Those roof tents require the optinal Bronco-Helmet. I can just imagine trying to get down that ladder in the middle of night in total darkness, barefooted after a few drinks.
Rooftop tents are hugely popular with overlanders....even over pickup beds or on top of overlandiing trailers. Super fast setup and tear down, and stays clean.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That's how I sleep in my '07 Escape. With the front seats all the way forward I can completely stretch out at 5'9". It does require something to fill the space just behind the front seats but an ice chest fits perfectly there.

The B Sport looks to have the same cargo length as my Escape but I'm not convinced the rear seats will fold flat enough for comfortable sleep, just a 10° slope to that seat back makes for an uncomfortable night. Unless the seat bottoms fold forward or are removable (like in the Escape) I don't see that seat back folding low enough to be level. It might require a plywood platform raised at the foot end like is commonly done in the Toyota 4Runner.

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm holding off on ordering until I can see for myself.
The rear seat cushion is easily removable, it wedges under the 60/40 back and is secured to its frame by just 2 snap-in pins along the front. Then the rear seat back will fold flatter than flat. You'll want to add a platform under it for support, and something in the valley between front and back to fill that space.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't mean that the moon roof is optional on the BL+BL.

I was wondering if there are people willing to give up the BL package just to have a stronger roof (50lbs additional).
The 100/150 lb. limit is for DYNAMIC loads... the roof rails support ~600 lb. parked! I'm convinced part of the dynamic restriction is about rollovers. Just watch out for the weight of the tent itself.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I opted for the BL without the BL package.

1) I wanted to have the capability to put more stuff on the roof (50% more).

2) The overall package isn't a bad deal, but for I don't really NEED anything in it. I have lived without out all of those amenities in my current vehicle so I'm not really too bummed about anything. The three things that I would have liked is the dual zone temperature control, the Remote Start system, and the Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror.

- I'm going to install my own custom audio so the B&O is moot, plus its not that good anyways.
- I live in TX.. its hot 90% of the time.. we use the heated seats about 1 month out of the year... so the leather is hot, and heated steering wheel is nice but not needed.
-I'll get the dealer installed remote start system and will probably install the auto-dimming rearview mirror & Wireless charging pad myself.
-Don't want a moonroof.. more trouble than it's worth.. too hot to use in Houston 90% of the time
-I don't need a reverse sensing system... I've been driving a non rear camera non sensing system for 12 years.. I'm ok without it.

Will my addons cost more in the long run?... probably so... but they didn't give me those separate dealer addon options... so this way will give me all that I want.
Why not just pack the light stuff up top? What more stuff? The biggest weight on the roof (rails) is going to be you, not the tent or anything else. It supports ~600 lb. when parked -- those 100/150 lb. are dynamic limits going down the road, probably as much about rollover accidents as capacity.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
More into stealth camping than anything else when time is of essence, driving late or getting early start is priority, not so much hauling gear or sleeping elevated, hence sleeping in rig. Thought about an Outback as it's long enough but would still require moving gear inside and un raveling bed (unless I take advantage of cargo topper I suppose). Probably cheapest option right there! Curious if I could sleep inside BS being 6'
A rooftop clamshell tent is very low profile and incredibly quick and easy to set up and tear down, like 1 min. I think the best if you need the interior for your stuff. Overlanders seem to always be on the move, so a big plus. 3 or 4 people makes it harder, especially little ones who can't be separated/ must be constantly watched. Otherwise you could do 2 up top, 2 in the cargo. or 2 in a trailer, or 2 in a tent on top of your overlandiing trailer (you could sleep 6 that way if they could all get there in your 4+1 Sport!).

Chasepoirier

Outer Banks
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB