chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
If you go without the BL package, your options open up a little bit.
Agreed, however I placed my order with the BL package yesterday afternoon.

A skinny cargo box may be an out allowing me to throw an extra bike rack and fly rod case up top, while also allowing camping chair/firewood/recovery gear to be in box IF I ever have full vehicle. Although I have a Sears Cargo XL that was rather cheap. The extra storage needed would be rare while hauling people/backpacks to trailhead or shuttling people/bikes after a MTB run.

When space isn't required and on my own schedule, the GFC Superlite would be my best bet for a RTT as yes, quite limited with the weight restriction on the roof.
Sponsored

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
I'm also wondering about the tow rating. I don't know anything about towing.

I do know hauling 3,000 lbs of camper is different than 3k of dirt. And that when off highway it's probably better to be under max on any weight rating.

Is there something similar with towing, ie size matters as well as weight ?

Looks like some of the off-road trailers are based around a 4x6 trailer. I'm thinking of getting a light wt, AL 5x8 utility trailer for home duties with the possible option of taking a couple of bulky ebikes and a 16' canoe off highway. So under max wt but maybe biggish for a small SUV. Would the Sport be suitable ?

Also, at 3,000 gvwr the trailer won't legally require brakes but would they be useful off highway even if the total wt was only 1,000 or 1,500 lbs ?

Thanks !

OP
OP
dreamwrx

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I'm also wondering about the tow rating. I don't know anything about towing.

I do know hauling 3,000 lbs of camper is different than 3k of dirt. And that when off highway it's probably better to be under max on any weight rating.

Is there something similar with towing, ie size matters as well as weight ?

Looks like some of the off-road trailers are based around a 4x6 trailer. I'm thinking of getting a light wt, AL 5x8 utility trailer for home duties with the possible option of taking a couple of bulky ebikes and a 16' canoe off highway. So under max wt but maybe biggish for a small SUV. Would the Sport be suitable ?

Also, at 3,000 gvwr the trailer won't legally require brakes but would they be useful off highway even if the total wt was only 1,000 or 1,500 lbs ?

Thanks !
The BS towing capacity is 2000lbs. A lightweight AL trailer and a couple of ebikes should be ok.

Not sure about the 16'canoe...total weight of trailer & canoe should be considered.

plumber26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
The BS towing capacity is 2000lbs. A lightweight AL trailer and a couple of ebikes should be ok.

Not sure about the 16'canoe...total weight of trailer & canoe should be considered.
Thanks. Should be ~1,000lb all in, with the basics anyway, so around 1/2 the TV rating to start. Will be wider and longer tho.

Just percolating ideas and options. Want to be ready for next year because this year has been a blow out for trips and most recreation.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
For in-car camping maybe something like this would give extra useable length in combo with the front seats moved forward as much as possible:
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/04/this-custom-fit-air-mattress-is-a-brilliant-car-based-sleep-system/
Cool idea.
I guess like so many accessories for the Bronco and Bronco Sport, like their site says, it is just too early. Until people start seeing vehicles (or Ford works with providers), we won't know about accessories. But then again, we are still many months away.

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Some people have built some really neat inside-car-camp rigs. Don't know that I'd always want to bother trying to stretch out to camp inside the Bronco Sport though. I've done it with my Subaru Forester a couple times and in the amount of time I put netting on the car windows and got everything situated I could have easily put up my tent. For me it depends on the weather; the tent has better rain protection/ventilation because in the rain the car windows have to go up.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I personally will be getting just the tent mattress to sleep inside the vehicle for overlanding trips
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People F3833EDE-B671-4A0D-A23E-20738BC82ACB
I would shell out for an Exped megamat 10, I have the single wide version, best ever! Multi-purpose, even works as spare for visiting friends/family, so comfortable!

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-duo-10-m-green

I have a built out Sienna, stretching out is nice, as far as ventilation in a car if it rains, get window rain guards, easy DIY and roll down for most rain environments. One thing needed if sleeping in car, want air flow - portable and rechargeable fan. A must for warmer temps. But agreed, ground tent always an option!

BroncoBruce21

Badlands
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For in-car camping maybe something like this would give extra useable length in combo with the front seats moved forward as much as possible:
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/04/this-custom-fit-air-mattress-is-a-brilliant-car-based-sleep-system/
I got this air mattress by KROPM from Amazon for my BL and it fits perfectly with the front seats moved forward, with no issues closing the back hatch. It is inflated in sections, so if you're solo and want to leave one of the back seats upright for storage you can inflate just one side. It comes with an air pump that runs off 12V for inflate/deflate, with a long enough cable. It's quick!
https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Mattress-Portable-Sleeping-Extended/dp/B08JPRZF5Y/

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 2021BroncoSportBL_mattress

Last edited:

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
dreamwrx, can you please link where the moonroof is optional? From my understanding the moonroof is standard on the BL + BL. IMO, it is the only trim level that is worth considering for my needs and also the only trim level that would be suitable for small scale overlanding.
The BL package is optional and doesn’t add any off roading capability. A BL without the package would be just as good or better for overlanding.

Kq100

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
I have one of these on order. At 80lbs no issue with rack and RTT being over roof weight limit. It will have some over hang but they are super ridged.
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People F23793F9-54EB-4521-8AE9-A7C6EF7F5F40

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I have one of these on order. At 80lbs no issue with rack and RTT being over roof weight limit. It will have some over hang but they are super ridged.
Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People F23793F9-54EB-4521-8AE9-A7C6EF7F5F40
How do you climb into the tent? I suppose a ladder hanging from the back over the tailgate

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I got this air mattress by KROPM from Amazon for my BL and it fits perfectly with the front seats moved forward, with no issues closing the back hatch. It is inflated in sections, so if you're solo and want to leave one of the back seats upright for storage you can inflate just one side. It comes with an air pump that runs off 12V for inflate/deflate, with a long enough cable. It's quick!
https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Mattress-Portable-Sleeping-Extended/dp/B08JPRZF5Y/

Ford Bronco Sport Overlanding People 2021BroncoSportBL_mattress
Awesome share, ordering one of these right now. :)