Over landing trails near us!

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the area (moved here for a good job after losing mine in the pandemic). I am from the Rocky Mountain West (Salt Lake City, Utah) and was wondering if there are any over landing trails or off-road trails available in a reasonable distance (within 5-6 hour drive) of Chicagoland.
Sponsored

First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
I canā€™t help you out (and Iā€™m sorry for that) as Iā€™ve never been to Chicagoland but I am going to hijack some traffic on your thread as have a similar request for the Carolinas. Transplanted here a year ago and still havenā€™t found the inside scoop on Minor and mild off road trails/overland routes aside from the Georgia Traverse. If there are any Carolinians in the forums help me out here. Currently located in Greenville, SC but willing to leg it 4-5 hours to anything worthwhile.

OP
OP
plumbusfactoryworker
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I canā€™t help you out (and Iā€™m sorry for that) as Iā€™ve never been to Chicagoland but I am going to hijack some traffic on your thread as have a similar request for the Carolinas. Transplanted here a year ago and still havenā€™t found the inside scoop on Minor and mild off road trails/overland routes aside from the Georgia Traverse. If there are any Carolinians in the forums help me out here. Currently located in Greenville, SC but willing to leg it 4-5 hours to anything worthwhile.
Hey dude! I hope you can find something but you may have better luck on the regional forum in your area.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/forums/southeast-usa.30/

First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer

tallmansd

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the area (moved here for a good job after losing mine in the pandemic). I am from the Rocky Mountain West (Salt Lake City, Utah) and was wondering if there are any over landing trails or off-road trails available in a reasonable distance (within 5-6 hour drive) of Chicagoland.
Iā€˜d look around the southern tip of Lake Michigan, I know there are sand dunes down there, not sure about trails though.

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Check out the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It's mostly just gravel roads, but it's a nice drive with good camping, and it starts pretty close to your area.

I haven't lived in that area in a long time, but I've been on a few sections of that, and they're quite pretty.

OP
OP
plumbusfactoryworker
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Check out the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. It's mostly just gravel roads, but it's a nice drive with good camping, and it starts pretty close to your area.

I haven't lived in that area in a long time, but I've been on a few sections of that, and they're quite pretty.
Awesome!!! Thank you Iā€™m going to check that out sounds perfect.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base

Anything too rough for a Base model on A/Ts?

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Really shouldn't be any issues. The actual off-road parts are limited to dirtbikes anyway (was originally designed as a motorcycle trail, but there's a full-size vehicle version too).

The parts I've been on are very much just country/park/forest service roads. I was in a 2WD ancient Ranger and a frickin Chevy Aveo, so use that as context. It's basically pretty country roads with state park/etc campsites scattered throughout. It is still worth it, though, especially if you make it farther north.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Really shouldn't be any issues. The actual off-road parts are limited to dirtbikes anyway (was originally designed as a motorcycle trail, but there's a full-size vehicle version too).

The parts I've been on are very much just country/park/forest service roads. I was in a 2WD ancient Ranger and a frickin Chevy Aveo, so use that as context. It's basically pretty country roads with state park/etc campsites scattered throughout. It is still worth it, though, especially if you make it farther north.
Welp, it's on my to-do list now. Thanks for the heads up, sorry to hijack the thread ?

rjs0962

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport-Badlands, BMW330i, Subaru Forester

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Hey Everyone,

Chicagoland Broncos does an off road trip once a month to various parks. We are going to the Badlands on the 30th

TheNurm

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Eruption Green
There is also a fun overland trip all the way from Crandon Wisconsin all the way to Copper Harbor Michigan at the tip of the Keweenaw Penninsula. It's the blue line, I took this from onX Offroad Maps.

Ford Bronco Sport Over landing trails near us! Screenshot 2024-02-10 104220
Sponsored