On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

fog53

Big Bend
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone else had an issue with the brakes grunting after you get your brake pads replaced due to the recall? I took my Big Bend in a few weeks ago for another noise (which is getting really annoying at this point), and the dealership, while they couldn't diagnose that issue, told me the brake pads were finally in. They replaced it, but then when I got it back, every time I braked at low speeds (like at a stop sign, red light, or parking) or let go of the brake, it would grunt really loudly. I brought it back to Ford, and insisted on a ride along. The technician instantly heard it and after ANOTHER week at the dealership, I just got it back and it still makes the noise, albeit much quieter.

Additionally, has anyone had a wind/buzz noise coming from the front of the vehicle upon acceleration?

For context, I purchased my Bronco Sport in April 2021. Since then it's just had random noise after random noise. I first took it in maybe May or June for a grumbling sound at lower speeds. They couldn't diagnose it, and a year later, thanks to this forum, I took it in again with the fix that one of y'all posted. They finally fixed it after 2 weeks in the shop. Then about a month ago, the car started making another noise. Only when accelerating, it would make this wind/buzz noise coming from the front of the vehicle. When I first took it in two weeks ago, they couldn't replicate it. So when I took it in again last week (because after they did the brake pads, as referenced above, the brakes started making noise), I rode along with a technician. He heard the noise and mentioned it could be normal because of the turbocharger, which is odd, because this just started after over a year of not doing that.

Also -- last time I took it in, they added nearly 90 miles to my vehicle. This time they've added 50 miles to my vehicle. Is that normal?

I'm so tired of taking it back to the dealership and being without a car days, sometimes weeks, at a time, only for them to not fix the problem or cause more issues. Has anyone had any luck with any of these issues? Or better yet, is anyone in the DC area and has had a good service advisor/dealership service dept they can recommend?
I have almost resigned myself that the grunting noise will never go away, although it does lessen for me after driving it for while. On another issue, I have the same "thumping noise" others have talked about when backing out first thing in the morning, when making a turn from a stop and when slowing down. My dealer has diagnosed it as a front brake pad retaining clip issue but that haven't heard anything back from Ford about a possible problem with the clips after the replacement of front pads due to recall. I'll give them a couple more days to hear from Ford but so far I'm not too confident in a speedy solution.
Sponsored

ACGilbert

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
I have a 22 Badlands BS and am now getting this same noise at lower speeds. Roughly 1300 miles on her since picking up at end of June.
Looking at your speedometer Iā€™d say itā€™s the manual park release issue. Replacement under warranty fixed mine. Thereā€™s a bulletin on it.

DavidE

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I realize this thread is a bit older, but it seemed like the most appropriate place to post this. I have a 2022 base model, with only ~4700 miles on it, purchased in February 2022. It has the driver side rattle like many of you have had, but has also recently started making a "popping" sound when hitting bumps/potholes, making a tight turn, and/or sometimes just releasing the brake after being stopped at a light or when beginning to drive. There is also occasionally a strange noise that I'd describe as between a pop and a rattle coming from the right front.

The newer popping sound is the most worrisome to me, and I'm bringing it to the dealer on Monday morning. I had driven once through a bit of wet mud on a dirt road about a week before the popping started, and the underside and wheal wells did have some mud caked up, but the road was nothing near any kind of off-road driving, and it was only a few yards total of mud that I drove through. I brought it to Firestone for an oil change the next week, just because it's around the block from my place vs. the Ford dealer being in a much less convenient location, and the Firestone people told me they noticed the popping sounds and that the vehicle needed to be brought to the dealer. They also told me that it is not related to the mud, but that the dealer would likely tell me it was. Have any of you experienced this kind of popping sound on turning or releasing the brake?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I realize this thread is a bit older, but it seemed like the most appropriate place to post this. I have a 2022 base model, with only ~4700 miles on it, purchased in February 2022. It has the driver side rattle like many of you have had, but has also recently started making a "popping" sound when hitting bumps/potholes, making a tight turn, and/or sometimes just releasing the brake after being stopped at a light or when beginning to drive.
I'd take their advice and have it looked at. But that to me, sounds like a suspension or sway bushing has worn out. When accelerating or turning, sounds like a front control arm. Take a good look at the rubber parts under there. I can foresee that being a... difficult item... to warranty.

DavidE

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks Glamdring70. I am taking it on Monday morning. It seems strange that a suspension or sway bushing would be worn out given how little I've driven it. We have horrible streets here in New Orleans, but I'm always careful to slow to a crawl before going over a pothole, etc..

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thanks Glamdring70. I am taking it on Monday morning. It seems strange that a suspension or sway bushing would be worn out given how little I've driven it. We have horrible streets here in New Orleans, but I'm always careful to slow to a crawl before going over a pothole, etc..
If you're at all interested in investigating, this video shows a good technique for discovering the source of strange noises.

DavidE

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks Mark. If the dealer doesn't fix it this week I'll give that a try.

stubblejumper

Outer Banks
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco sport
Can't seem to find if anyone has heard this one yet. Sound is made on medium to heavy acceleration and stops when you let off

Last edited:

Bignbeefy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
New bronco. Slight pop under the drivers side after accelerating from Stop, stop to reverse. Nothing crazy do you yā€™all notice this? Just noisy unjoint etc normal?

when driving get occasional pop pop feeling under foot. Car has less then 1000 miles,

DavidE

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've never had the sound that you're having stubblejumper, and I don't think that's the park release cable.

The pop that I have been having does often happen both on accelerating after a stop in either direction, but it also happens on tight turns and when hitting bumps, and sometimes when simply starting the car.

I brought my Bronco into the dealership Monday morning (it's Friday morning now) and they still haven't even looked at it. :( It would be nice if they could have given me an appointment instead of just having it sit there.

stubblejumper

Outer Banks
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco sport
I've never had the sound that you're having stubblejumper, and I don't think that's the park release cable.

The pop that I have been having does often happen both on accelerating after a stop in either direction, but it also happens on tight turns and when hitting bumps, and sometimes when simply starting the car.

I brought my Bronco into the dealership Monday morning (it's Friday morning now) and they still haven't even looked at it. :( It would be nice if they could have given me an appointment instead of just having it sit there.
I have sent the video to my dealer as well. See what they have to say. Have not been impressed with them so far . Had another issue with the throttle body that caused loss of power and they had to order the part. They told me I would have to rent a vehicle if I wanted a loaner. Is this common elsewhere?
Dealer did the same to me. Sat there 2 days before they could even look at itšŸ˜ 

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have sent the video to my dealer as well. See what they have to say. Have not been impressed with them so far . Had another issue with the throttle body that caused loss of power and they had to order the part.
This should be a big clue to your dealership service department. The sound is related to throttle application, and its nature suggests an air leak in the intake tract. Given the intake system connects to the throttle body I would be looking hard at the components they touched during the last repair.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
New bronco. Slight pop under the drivers side after accelerating from Stop, stop to reverse. Nothing crazy do you yā€™all notice this? Just noisy unjoint etc normal?

when driving get occasional pop pop feeling under foot. Car has less then 1000 miles,
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands

I made a thread already. But thought Iā€™d add another normal noise according to Ford

DavidE

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford has finished my recall issue and is now moving onto the noises. I'll update with the fixes once they've gotten into those on Monday.
Sponsored