JRav007

Big Bend
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Question...when changing the GOAT modes...is it ok to change your selection while the vehicle is moving?

I assume the answer is yes, so you can adjust as you encounter different conditions. But I just wasn’t sure if the change of mode while driving is good for the engine/transmission. I’ve been waiting to change or engage them until I’m at a red light or stop sign...
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I have done it , no problem.

BrunoTheBronco

Badlands
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I’ve changed it while driving and I never noticed a concerning sound or feel. But just as a precaution I slow to a crawl or a stop when I engage the 4x4.

Butter

Outer Banks
First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
Are their top speed recommendations or guidelines for the 5 standard GOAT modes? Tried Slippery mode for the first time yesterday in wet slushy snow on the highway and had a great ride. Was conscious of my top speed. Have also used it on ice covered parking lots. Clearly going slow there.

Jeff W.

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Question...when changing the GOAT modes...is it ok to change your selection while the vehicle is moving?

I assume the answer is yes, so you can adjust as you encounter different conditions. But I just wasn’t sure if the change of mode while driving is good for the engine/transmission. I’ve been waiting to change or engage them until I’m at a red light or stop sign...
The manual doesn't specifically say one way or another for the G.O.A.T modes but on page 172 where it describes the four wheel drive lock it says that's usable on the fly, but warns against using it and the rear differential lock (if your model has it) on dry hard pavement. If you can shift into 4WD on the fly I can't see why you wouldn't be able to switch between the GOAT modes.

TeamTaylorBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, 2020 Ford Edge
Heavy snow storm here today. I just switched over to slippery mode while driving and it made a HUGE difference. Handled much better and didn't slip when i accelerated. I switched into slippery mode on the fly and it seemed to work fine.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
you can change modes on the fly, here’s some related Badlands info:

7 G.O.A.T. modes: Normal, Eco, Sport, Slippery, Sand, Mud/Ruts, Rock Crawl

The last THREE modes are tied to the Badlands 4x4 system (4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock features).

Rear Differential Lock feature is available in Sand, Mud/Ruts, and Rock Crawl modes when below 30mph.

Rear Differential Lock feature is available in Normal and Slippery modes when below 15mph.

Rear Differential Lock feature is not available in Eco or Sport modes.

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just because you can doesn't mean you should, was the advice given to us at the Bronco OffRoadeo.

Stating it's more of a marketing feature rather than an engineering feat.

A retired US Army mechanic friend told me much the same.

Wondering what @Ford-Motor-Company can add to the topic?

I have successfully changed GOAT modes from ECO to Normal to Sport on the Hwy, but am hesitant to do so now.

TeamTaylorBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, 2020 Ford Edge
That's a great point. I have switched from Normal to ECO while driving as well. Even though i could, i wondered if it was the right thing to do. I haven't found a definitive answer, even in the manual. I had to go out yesterday in the snow (about 7") and switched to slippery mode before i engaged the transmission. I think i'm going to error on the side of caution moving forward and select the mode either before my trip or at a stop during. Thanks for the insight!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I wouldn't worry about changing modes that change throttle mapping and transmission shift points (NORMAL, ECO, SPORT); these do not result in any mechanical changes to the configuration of the various systems. I would be less cavalier about shifting between modes that lock/unlock 4WD and the rear-diff (for Badlands) while on the move. Locking/unlocking 4WD and the rear diff require mechanical engagement/disengagement of clutch packs, and I would think doing so on-the-fly can add to increased wear on those devices.

That said, unless something goes drastically wrong with the way the computer effects these configuration changes, you SHOULD be able to switch to any mode on-the-fly as long as you observe restrictions in the manual. For example, you should not operate in any mode that locks 4WD and/or the rear diff on dry pavement. The clutch packs in these components were specifically designed to allow shifting on the fly, so doing so should not result in any damage. These are not like transfer cases or mechanical lockers on hard-core off-road vehicles. You can actually damage the gears in a mechanical transfer case if you try to shift it while the vehicle is moving.
Sponsored