H0pelessOpus

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Hi All - Wondering if anyone has given thought to installing a catch can on their BS. If you're planning on keeping your vehicle past a lease or powertrain warranty timeframe like I am, the longevity of a direct injection engine starts to come mind.

Was looking at a kit similar to this seeing as the Focus ST had the same engine and the Sport. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Mishimoto BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN
Sponsored

AltarBoy

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’fusion
The fusions also use the same 2.0eb. Most of us fusion guys have gone well past the warranty/lease without a aftermarket catch can with zero problems from the engine

OP
OP
H0pelessOpus

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
The fusions also use the same 2.0eb. Most of us fusion guys have gone well past the warranty/lease without a aftermarket catch can with zero problems from the engine
Good to know, thanks!

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
problem with the catch can in cold weather is it could freeze due to moisture and I'm not going to get into the technical end of the results but save your money. Run good fuel and engine oil and perhaps an upper end engine clean every 24K or so

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
I was looking into this, on my wife’s 2.5 Skyactiv I used CRC GDI intake turbo cleaner to good results. I did wait til 60k to do the first treatment and wish I did it sooner. Immediately smoothed out the engine and made it run quieter. Did cause quite the fireworks show on the dash panel but all was well after a good drive.

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
A better solution would be a water/meth injection kit (meth purely for the anti-freeze properties). You can run a small enough nozzle that won't negatively alter the operation while keeping the manifold and valves clean.

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi All - Wondering if anyone has given thought to installing a catch can on their BS. If you're planning on keeping your vehicle past a lease or powertrain warranty timeframe like I am, the longevity of a direct injection engine starts to come mind.

Was looking at a kit similar to this seeing as the Focus ST had the same engine and the Sport. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Mishimoto BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN
I like the idea of a catch can, I'm waiting for a kit specifically made for the 2.0 Badlands and an installation video.

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I had a 2014 Ford escape with the 2 l engine and my catch can caught so much oil and when I was in Flagstaff in the cold it wasn't just oil it was condensation and it would make a nasty chocolate milk soup crap now I have heard on the early ones it was a much bigger problem than these newer ones but for me I can make my own catch cans and it cost me like 20 bucks so I will definitely be putting one on but I will let y'all know how much oil I end up collecting and if I end up having to clean the intake valves or not. It sounds like they're doing a lot of what Hyundai did where at idle and lower engine speeds they're actually be a little bit of Cam overlap and it actually washes some of the fuel from the direct injectors back onto the top of the intake valves my question is Ford why the f*** did you cheap out on the 2.0 upgrade engine and only put direct injection when the crappy little 1.5 3 cylinder gets port and direct injection I thought that was a load of horse s***. I always felt that any direct injection engine should also have port injection or at least just put like one injector behind the throttle body that sprays every now and then just to clean the back of the intake valves and stop the issue because I remember that used to be the fix when the EcoBoost first came out they had the special spray that you would spray and want to vacuum ports while it was running and it would act like gasoline on the back of the valves and it's supposed to help keep them clean but you had to do it really often I think they said every 10,000 miles but that was not often enough and so people didn't do it and then it just I stopped hearing about it probably cuz it didn't work anyways I'm rambling we just need dual injection on every engine.

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Oh also if any of you are putting a catch can on your car make this is a boosted engine so you have to do it the right way you can't just run a hose from the valve cover to the intake after the throttle body because you're creating pressure from the boost from the turbo so first you have to have a check valve so you don't pressurize the crankcase any good oil catch can company should have that in there or at least have it as an option but the problem is that you're in boost most the time and that means the check valve is closed and it's not doing anything so you really have to run two hoses with two check valves so when you get into boost there is two check valves and the other line pulls off of the intake to the turbo which will actually have a decent amount of suction when the turbo is actually spinning up fast it's really complicated to explain in writing but there's videos about it so make sure that you do your catch can the right way so it actually works right especially with these EcoBoost with the tiny turbos you're almost always in boost. Also for those saying that if you have port injection you don't need to catch can you still should run a catch can if you've ever run them I've run them even on naturally aspirated cars with port injection and there's always oil and blow by getting past the oil and piston rings and I've never had an engine that when I took the intake off wasn't covered in oil and that can actually decrease the octane running in your car and most of us are just running 87 and this is on a fairly high compression boosted motor running like 15 psi that's a lot of pressure and if your gasoline gets diluted enough with enough oil and the octane lowers enough to start having detonation and that kills an engine and it's not going to be fun for you so every car every engine I've ever run I always put a catch can on a lot of people can get away with not using them and never have a problem that is true but I have never had a major breakdown on any of my engines since I've done it not saying that those are directly correlated but I always catch so much blow by on every engine that I always feel like it's worth it. and I would highly suggest putting a boost gauge on them I had both on my escape and I'm just waiting for some parts to come in to put them on my broncosport and then I'll post about it and how I did it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
...my question is Ford why the f*** did you cheap out on the 2.0 upgrade engine and only put direct injection when the crappy little 1.5 3 cylinder gets port and direct injection I thought that was a load of horse s***.
Ford did not implement both port and direct injection on the 1.5L Dragon engine to prevent valve deposits. Power delivery is affected by the choice of injection method: Direct injection can generate more overall power and efficiency, while port injection provides a better mix of air and fuel at low engine speeds, making more power more available at lower RPMs. The 2.0L engine produces 80% of its maximum torque at 2500 RPM, so port injection was unnecessary from a power delivery standpoint for that engine.

I always felt that any direct injection engine should also have port injection or at least just put like one injector behind the throttle body that sprays every now and then just to clean the back of the intake valves and stop the issue because I remember that used to be the fix when the EcoBoost first came...
Ford implemented other strategies to mitigate valve deposits on its EcoBoost line of engines more than a decade ago. Given we have no reports of widespread issues with valve deposits on these engines (there are literally millions in operation worldwide), those mitigation strategies seem to have proven effective.

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Ford did not implement both port and direct injection on the 1.5L Dragon engine to prevent valve deposits. Power delivery is affected by the choice of injection method: Direct injection can generate more overall power and efficiency, while port injection provides a better mix of air and fuel at low engine speeds, making more power more available at lower RPMs. The 2.0L engine produces 80% of its maximum torque at 2500 RPM, so port injection was unnecessary from a power delivery standpoint for that engine.

Ford implemented other strategies to mitigate valve deposits on its EcoBoost line of engines more than a decade ago. Given we have no reports of widespread issues with valve deposits on these engines (there are literally millions in operation worldwide), those mitigation strategies seem to have proven effective.
I'm going off my experience with my 2014 escape 2.0 which sure as shit had valve deposit problems I am interested to see if this one has any but a catch goes on ally cars no matter what.
Sponsored