Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport (on the way!)
Hello! ? I have been looking at the BS for almost a year now, and still cant decide what to get. I live rural so I was looking more at the BL, but the OB seems just as nice and as capable for my needs. I want to know what people think of their OB or BL, and would they have gone for the OB or BL instead of their choice. Thank you in advance, as orders are closed I guess I get a little bit of time now lol.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hello! ? I have been looking at the BS for almost a year now, and still cant decide what to get. I live rural so I was looking more at the BL, but the OB seems just as nice and as capable for my needs. I want to know what people think of their OB or BL, and would they have gone for the OB or BL instead of their choice. Thank you in advance, as orders are closed I guess I get a little bit of time now lol.
my two cents, and I've spent it many times on the forum. I test drove a couple Big Bend models, I felt they were very capable and all I really needed. Many dealers said the Big Bend is the best bang for the buck. A few other dealers insisted the 2.0 Badlands was a clear upgrade in power and performance with a few features other trim levels don't have. I purchased a Badlands off a local lot when my order delayed with no immediate end in sight.
It's been a very capable ride, smooth and comfortable. I have a thousand miles in a week, one long trip to the UP and back which was five hours each way. Seats were comfortable, didn't really take it off road yet but I can tell it will do anything I need. I have the upgrade 235 tires and it looks great.
The Outer Banks has a few comfort features the Badlands does not. With a running MPG total driving two miles to work and back, with a few trips to Ann Arbor, one to Kalamazoo, and the lengthy trip mentions, I am averaging 24mpg using 87 octane and cruising in eco mode at 78 mph with some bursts over 90 to pass cars on most of those long trips. Sounds like those with the 1.5 are closer to 29-30 and supposedly they all start to average better mileage as they break in. I think it's probably best to make a list of MUST have essentials and figure it out from that point. I hope that helps some. I know others will have excellent input and may make a difference in your choices.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Thank you in advance, as orders are closed I guess I get a little bit of time now lol.
You can still order an Outer Banks without a sunroof. So an Outer Banks can be ordered with all the options except sunroof. It will take a long time to come but Ford will accept the order and do their best to build it. Badlands orders are shut down the rest of '21 model year.

There is no one model is best for all. It really depends on what you like, how much you are willing to spend etc. If you go to Ford web site, you can go though the Build and Price and get familiar with all the options and features that each trim has.

OP
OP

Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can still order an Outer Banks without a sunroof. So an Outer Banks can be ordered with all the options except sunroof. It will take a long time to come but Ford will accept the order and do their best to build it. Badlands orders are shut down the rest of '21 model year.

There is no one model is best for all. It really depends on what you like, how much you are willing to spend etc. If you go to Ford web site, you can go though the Build and Price and get familiar with all the options and features that each trim has.
I have, but wanted to hear if anyone would of gotten a different trim instead. I really would like the Outer Banks package on the Outer Banks, so if I could get it all minus the sun roof id be fine

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I have, but wanted to hear if anyone would of gotten a different trim instead. I really would like the Outer Banks package on the Outer Banks, so if I could get it all minus the sun roof id be fine
What I did was a build and price then requested quotes from four dealers from the Ford web site. I spoke to all four dealers on the phone the next day. Three were very happy to order and provided a quote which included title, taxes, tags. The dealer I selected sent PDF of options, and PDF of detailed quote, and I placed the order with them. That same day got automated email directly from Ford confirming order and I get order status updates directly from Ford. I can track order on Ford web site and it shows all the options on my ordered vehicle. So if you can wait you can order an Outer Banks exactly like you want, no sunroof, and never even have to leave your house.

OP
OP

Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I did was a build and price then requested quotes from four dealers from the Ford web site. I spoke to all four dealers on the phone the next day. Three were very happy to order and provided a quote which included title, taxes, tags. The dealer I selected sent PDF of options, and PDF of detailed quote, and I placed the order with them. That same day got automated email directly from Ford confirming order and I get order status updates directly from Ford. I can track order on Ford web site and it shows all the options on my ordered vehicle. So if you can wait you can order an Outer Banks exactly like you want, no sunroof, and never even have to leave your house.
Yeah I saw the option to order on their website now, I am messaging the saleslady who's been very helpful if I could get the Outer Banks package but no sunroof

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I saw the option to order on their website now, I am messaging the saleslady who's been very helpful if I could get the Outer Banks package but no sunroof
Ford recently published a PDF that showed what can be ordered after April 15 this year. It was posted on this forum somewhere. No more sunroof on any trim and no more Badlands rest of '21 model year. But Outer Banks package, without sunroof, is available to be ordered along with all the other Outer Banks options except no sunroof that is the only thing your can not get rest of '21 model year.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Reactions: Dan

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If your going to use the BS more so as an everyday driver and do some limited off roading and have concern over fuel mileage and rising fuel costs the BS OB would probably be the better choice at least if you believe the fuel mileage people are posting in the 1.5 ecoboost postings. I have a Badlands, fuel mileage in the city is 17.5 to 18 mpg, and in Los Angeles fuel is over $4.00 a gallon, in some places recommended premium fuel is close to $5.00 a gallon it's starting to get pricey for everyday use. It's still fun, the 2.0 motor has some juice.

OP
OP

Dan

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your going to use the BS more so as an everyday driver and do some limited off roading and have concern over fuel mileage and rising fuel costs the BS OB would probably be the better choice at least if you believe the fuel mileage people are posting in the 1.5 ecoboost postings. I have a Badlands, fuel mileage in the city is 17.5 to 18 mpg, and in Los Angeles fuel is over $4.00 a gallon, in some places recommended premium fuel is close to $5.00 a gallon it's starting to get pricey for everyday use. It's still fun, the 2.0 motor has some juice.
I actually go off-roading everyday ? But not heavy off road, just dirt roads that are a little carved up at times. I too live in CA and know very much about the $5 a gallon gas

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That's the type of off roading I was referring too. Obviously you'll pick what works best for you. Everyone has different wants and needs. I picked the Badlands because of the on and off road comparison reviews and my own test drives between the 1.5 and 2.0 litre models, I think if you drive a 2.0 first, you may not want the 1.5, there is a noticeable difference.

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
That's the type of off roading I was referring too. Obviously you'll pick what works best for you. Everyone has different wants and needs. I picked the Badlands because of the on and off road comparison reviews and my own test drives between the 1.5 and 2.0 litre models, I think if you drive a 2.0 first, you may not want the 1.5, there is a noticeable difference.
There may be some truth here, I have the 1.5 in my OB, I wanted a badlands but I was late to the party and was looking at dealer ordered models, my local dealer had an OB with OB package and what seems like every option available.

I was sceptical about the 1.5 but it surprised me, I like the way it drives, acceleration hasn’t been a huge issue for me and I’m quite and aggressive driver (ex Audi driver anonymous) I’ve also had him up to 110 with no issues, I feel like I could have gotten more. However I believe you are right, if would have driven the 2.0 first I would not be as satisfied.

Fuzzball

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks, Honda CB1100
So I just bought mine yesterday. Here’s what I think it comes down to and what factored into my decision.

First, do you plan on off roading more than a few dirt trails? If so, stop right here and find a bad lands, it is just better equipped for this type of riding. It has a bigger engine and better suspension.

If you get past that first question with a no answer, then you have to start looking at the other features. Do you want the more advanced cruise control? Do you want the leather line seats, and do you want the extra accessories? If yes, then the outer banks might be the perfect truck for you.

If you find you don’t want the extra cruise options and don’t need all the accessories, and you don’t plan on off roading, then get the big bend. I personally wouldn’t go below the big bend because I think there’s enough missing that you will notice it.

We are more road warriors than off road people and wouldn’t make use of the badlands, so we went with the Outer Banks.

Last edited:

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
In my case, I need to be able go through deep-ish snow and on sheets of ice.
I had just expressed my frustration about having two 4WD's and an AWD vehicle and not seeing significant snow for years. Then late this winter we got two storms that had the snow deep enough that the diffs on my BII were plowing snow. Ice covered streets are an annual thing here as we get sleet fairly often. My hope is the rear diff in the BL makes a difference.

I've always considered horsepower/acceleration to be a safety advantage. Of the ways you can avoid an event acceleration is one of them. Awareness, steering, braking, and acceleration.

Enough of the justification, it's simply that I want more. LOL
Sponsored