Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
Anyone else experiencing a clicking/wind up noise while turning their bronco sport? From what sounds to be the clockspring?

dealer states they can hear it, not sure if there will be a tsb or fix for it, they also state other bronco sports on the lot have this issue. The broncos I drove at off roadeo didnā€™t have this sound issue. Dealer marked it off as operating normally.

New car with a steering wheel that makes noise but I donā€™t know where to turn on this, pun not intended lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Nothing on my BS like that, Had mine since August though so not sure how many miles you got on yours. I'm just breaking 2000 in mine šŸ˜…

OP
OP
Broncosprt57

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
My noise started just after that mileage, when turn the wheel itā€™s sounds like something is winding up slowly, like a wind up toy. Itā€™s annoying, I brought it to my ford dealer twice but there isnā€™t a fix as of yet.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
My noise started just after that mileage, when turn the wheel itā€™s sounds like something is winding up slowly, like a wind up toy. Itā€™s annoying, I brought it to my ford dealer twice but there isnā€™t a fix as of yet.
Maby Hydraulic pressure buildup when turning the wheel? Is it noticeable from inside the car with the windows up or just outside with the windows down?

OP
OP
Broncosprt57

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
Maby Hydraulic pressure buildup when turning the wheel? Is it noticeable from inside the car with the windows up or just outside with the windows down?
Hey, itā€™s definitely not a power steering noise, I think this car is electric steering anyhow. This sounds mechanical, as if you were winding up the gears on a kids wind up toy or a pullback car.
Iā€™ll post a video but it sounds like a noisy clockspring

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Do you hear the noise while you are turning the steering wheel, or when the wheels are turning with the steering wheel off center? Does it sound like it's coming from inside the vehicle, or outside?

OP
OP
Broncosprt57

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
Do you hear the noise while you are turning the steering wheel, or when the wheels are turning with the steering wheel off center? Does it sound like it's coming from inside the vehicle, or outside?
inside the the steering wheel, car can be stationary or moving.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
inside the the steering wheel, car can be stationary or moving.
Ok, that's clearly an issue. It's not clear from your original post: Did your dealer acknowledge this is a problem and that it needs to be fixed? Saying it's "operating normally" might be another way of saying it's not a safety issue. That's fine if they mean you can drive it safely, but if they mean it doesn't require a fix then you need to find another dealer.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Anyone else experiencing a clicking/wind up noise while turning their bronco sport? From what sounds to be the clockspring?

dealer states they can hear it, not sure if there will be a tsb or fix for it, they also state other bronco sports on the lot have this issue. The broncos I drove at off roadeo didnā€™t have this sound issue. Dealer marked it off as operating normally. Not happy with a steering wheel that makes noise but donā€™t know where to turn on this, pun not intended lol.
Hey there! I can look into your Broncoā€™s noise concerns on my end if youā€™d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

OP
OP
Broncosprt57

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
Ok, that's clearly an issue. It's not clear from your original post: Did your dealer acknowledge this is a problem and that it needs to be fixed? Saying it's "operating normally" might be another way of saying it's not a safety issue. That's fine if they mean you can drive it safely, but if they mean it doesn't require a fix then you need to find another dealer.
the car has been there for the week starting Jan 3. So youā€™re right and I agree which is why Iā€™ve been persistent it may be fine now, butit definitely sounds like a faulty clockspring.

ford corporate stated via email,

ā€œFord has documented your concerns with the steering and at this time they are normal operating characteristics for the vehicle.ā€

I then stated back that a clicking/winding noise from the steering wheel while turning is not something Iā€™ve experienced driving the same vehicle as mine and wasnā€™t there while it was brand new. They then had me bring the car to the dealer and have opened up a ā€œrequest for technical assistance on the repair for the winding noise.ā€

Ford has been helpful, theyā€™re also reimbursing me for a rental.

I posted a video on YouTube of the noise. Itā€™s not the whooshing sounds. Itā€™s The sounds that are like a creaking of a door or a wind up toy/watch.

Sponsored