SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
With sunroof it will go above the roof rails I would be very careful with the Yakima and sunroof.
That's why I would like to know how much room there is between the side edge of the glass and the rails.

Yakima says my current rack should fit just make sure the glass doesn't hit any attachments. I'll have to wait and see how much clearance there is for my canoe gunwale brackets. Yakima Bronco Sport Fit

Last edited:

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
and while I'm thinking about it. It would be great if Ford added a step on the the back seat door frame at seat height to stand on to access the roof rack.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
My OB/OB has the sun roof option. Since the vast majority of my driving will be without anything on the roof, I’m not concerned about clearance issues.

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
This thread has been super helpful for me. 100lb's for the dynamic roof limit is not very much. I was originally going to order with a moonroof on my badlands, but I also wanted the option of a roof top tent. The options under 100lbs are limited (I only found about 3). But even if I don't end up getting a roof top tent. I'm pretty sure the combined weight of racks, rooftop box, and 5 pairs of skis will go over 100lbs, and I carry a load like that a lot in the winter.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This thread has been super helpful for me. 100lb's for the dynamic roof limit is not very much. I was originally going to order with a moonroof on my badlands, but I also wanted the option of a roof top tent. The options under 100lbs are limited (I only found about 3). But even if I don't end up getting a roof top tent. I'm pretty sure the combined weight of racks, rooftop box, and 5 pairs of skis will go over 100lbs, and I carry a load like that a lot in the winter.
The dynamic limit is most likely based on meeting the NHTSA's rollover resistance standard. Weight on top raises the center of gravity, which can cause the vehicle to tip over more easily in a situation requiring a sudden swerve. The same can be said of lift kits and larger diameter wheels--anything you do that increases vehicle height or adds weight up high will raise the center of gravity and make the vehicle more prone to rollover.

enjuhner357

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS OB
If you still want a moonroof, it is possible. Check out the thread I posted earlier today: https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-moonroof-install-option-yes-webasto-hollandia-700-comfort.4866/

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Probably a dumb question, but if the weight limit for the roof is 100-150lbs, and you put a rooftop tent on that weights 100lbs, do you risk damaging your roof simply by using the tent or does the weight distribution from the tent base itself prevent the roof from being damaged?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Probably a dumb question, but if the weight limit for the roof is 100-150lbs, and you put a rooftop tent on that weights 100lbs, do you risk damaging your roof simply by using the tent or does the weight distribution from the tent base itself prevent the roof from being damaged?
One of my college professors used to say, "There's no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb students." HAR!

Kidding aside, the 100-150 lb figure is the dynamic weight limit, which is the vehicle-in-motion limit. It has to do with center of gravity and roll over accidents. I believe the static (not in motion) limit is 400 lbs, which makes sense if you consider the roof has to protect the occupants in a roll over crash.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
One of my college professors used to say, "There's no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb students." HAR!

Kidding aside, the 100-150 lb figure is the dynamic weight limit, which is the vehicle-in-motion limit. It has to do with center of gravity and roll over accidents. I believe the static (not in motion) limit is 400 lbs, which makes sense if you consider the roof has to protect the occupants in a roll over crash.
Well I never went to a real college so that explains it :crazy:

Ah okay, that makes sense then, thanks. Interesting though that it's still only 400lbs, so I guess if you subtract the 150 for the tent, roof racks, and items you put in the tent, you're left with 250lbs to safely have 2 occupants? I weigh almost 190, so whoever I'm sharing it with would have to weigh 60lbs...either I need to lose a lot of weight or the girlfriend is going to have to sleep outside.
Sponsored

Last edited: