Motortrend comparison between Outback Wilderness, Rav4 TRD, Sport, and unlimited Wrangler

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Motortrend just published a rather interesting review that compared the Rav4 TRD, the Outback Wilderness Edition, the Bronco Sport Badlands, and a relatively base (unlimited sport) Wrangler, of all things. It's well worth a read: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/ford-bronco-sport-vs-jeep-wrangler-vs-subaru-outback-wilderness-vs-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-comparison-test-review/amp/

They place the sport at the top overall, with the Wrangler (unsurprisingly) slightly beating it offroad and the Outback beating it by a bit onroad. No real surprises there, though I am surprised they didn't compare the Cherokee Trailhawk instead.

It's a pretty glowing review of the sport, overall. The really interesting thing is how poorly the Rav4 did by comparison and how much the outback wilderness struggled offroad.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jofer

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
And I just saw the main post of this. I can't seem to delete the thread, so feel free to ignore!

Steve8583

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Motortrend just published a rather interesting review that compared the Rav4 TRD, the Outback Wilderness Edition, the Bronco Sport Badlands, and a relatively base (unlimited sport) Wrangler, of all things. It's well worth a read: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/ford-bronco-sport-vs-jeep-wrangler-vs-subaru-outback-wilderness-vs-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-comparison-test-review/amp/

They place the sport at the top overall, with the Wrangler (unsurprisingly) slightly beating it offroad and the Outback beating it by a bit onroad. No real surprises there, though I am surprised they didn't compare the Cherokee Trailhawk instead.

It's a pretty glowing review of the sport, overall. The really interesting thing is how poorly the Rav4 did by comparison and how much the outback wilderness struggled offroad.
I did read this aswell, But I gotta admit a went and seen one the those rav4’s it kind felt a lot more modern, minus the rubber floors which I love in my bronco,

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I did read this aswell, But I gotta admit a went and seen one the those rav4’s it kind felt a lot more modern, minus the rubber floors which I love in my bronco,
The funny thing is that many people will criticize RAV4 and Toyotas in general for having 'outdated' interiors and electronics compared to other manufacturers.

My favorite part of the Sport is the interior and UI, which ironically reminds me of an old Toyota or Nissan. So not at all 'modern,' but practical and free of b.s. like glossy black plastic or touch everything. One of the reasons I avoided a new car for many years is because new car interiors are **** if you like buttons, knobs, minimal screens, and clean + rugged look.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I got a neighbor with an AWD rav 4.
It does not climb loose gravel very well where my base model BS goes up drama free.
If she stops mid climb she has to back down and start over.
I can stop and restart with ease, even briskly, we’re talking a 14% grade on one section.
Most have to take the long way around.
I’m the only non lock up 4x4 that can climb this when dry and loose.
Not even the two AWD Subarus can do it.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If Ford could produce enough sports to satisfy demand they could really eat into competitors sales. I drove by Toyota dealer last week end saw a whole row of RAV4s sitting on the lot waiting for buyers.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
If Ford could produce enough sports to satisfy demand they could really eat into competitors sales. I drove by Toyota dealer last week end saw a whole row of RAV4s sitting on the lot waiting for buyers.
I really think they’ve found a good segment of the SUV/Pickup buying crowd with the Sport and the Maverick which weren’t really well served before. Style & capability at a reasonable price sells. I wonder how sales are lining up with their expectations? Did Ford plan to produce both at the one plant thinking they’d be more niche products than they’ve turned out to be? Could sales cool off longer term? Or is demand just getting going & sales exceeding expectations to need to plan for more production in the future?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
"Great on-road manners" and "shockingly capable off-road" are the adjectives Ford's engineers were aiming for, and they have really hit the mark. Ford's new drive-train technology with the Bronco Sport has the rest of the SUV industry taking notice. Take look at this video from Outside Magazine and this article from Jalopnik if you are interested in how the Bronco Sport can do so well off-road with none of the traditional off-road equipment. The article from Jalopnik includes this graphic, which illustrates how the Bronco Sport automatically transfers power around the four wheels:

Ford Bronco Sport Motortrend comparison between Outback Wilderness, Rav4 TRD, Sport, and unlimited Wrangler 2e7980f1bf93d5bd819206aa7f051eaa

Are there more hard-core off-road capable machines available? Of course. But we get 85% of the capability of the best production offroaders (my informal estimate) without giving up road manners and the convenience available with an automated all-terrain system.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Think about it guys, picture the sales figures if there was no pandemic. If the Bronco sport AND
The Maverick came online with no supply problems, full on unlimited production.
Just Imagine the number of them on the roads today with both these entering second year productions.
The other makers would really see declining sales.
Think of what we would get from the others.
How about all new designs, new engines and drive systems.
By the time the others got newer better models on dealer lots Ford would be so far out front with non stop R&D the foreign cars would fall back into the place they belong.
Imported novelties for those who just have to be different.
While Ford set the standard in technology and value.
I’d like to see FORD move back into Motor Rock City,, Detroit Michigan..
In yer face China ??

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I really think they’ve found a good segment of the SUV/Pickup buying crowd with the Sport and the Maverick which weren’t really well served before. Style & capability at a reasonable price sells. I wonder how sales are lining up with their expectations? Did Ford plan to produce both at the one plant thinking they’d be more niche products than they’ve turned out to be? Could sales cool off longer term? Or is demand just getting going & sales exceeding expectations to need to plan for more production in the future?
I think they've found an underserved market and the numbers and demand bears that out. There are so many dam CUVs that all look the same and are about the same and that have AWD but are kinda suburbanite cares that can barely handle a fireroad. Ford cleverly saw that hey, maybe there's some people out there that would like some off-road capability and different looks in the segment.

I remember driving my volvo S70 around while fishing and wishing it was taller and a bit more rugged. It was fine for a fishing car but it lacked the carefree, car camping vibe I want in a car.

Clearly from their catalogue, thats the vibes they were going for.

Sales will eventually level off, but word is the rivals are already getting their act together and creating models that will compete. I know Toyota is getting on that, no doubt Chevy won't, but it could be the start of a new trend which would be nice.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I know Toyota is getting on that, no doubt Chevy won't, but it could be the start of a new trend which would be nice.
The irony is that Toyota was well-positioned to capitalize on the same vibe as the Bronco Sport given their history with the Land Cruiser (FJ 40 especially) and later FJ Cruiser, which in my region sell for about as much as a new B.S. Badlands lol. The FJ Cruiser saga is an interesting example of "what might have been" from Toyota. The RAV4 Adventure and TRD trims, which I looked at before deciding on the Sport, seem pretty half-assed now that the Sport is on the market.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
The irony is that Toyota was well-positioned to capitalize on the same vibe as the Bronco Sport given their history with the Land Cruiser (FJ 40 especially) and later FJ Cruiser, which in my region sell for about as much as a new B.S. Badlands lol. The FJ Cruiser saga is an interesting example of "what might have been" from Toyota. The RAV4 Adventure and TRD trims, which I looked at before deciding on the Sport, seem pretty half-assed now that the Sport is on the market.
It was interesting reading the Motortrend Comparison between the Rav 4 TRD and the Sport, the TRD isn't even in the same league despite Toyota having the capability to make it so and the cars being in the same segment. I guess they didn't anticipate the response Ford has received.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I wanted a small SUV that had some power acceleration torque. I wanted to like the new escape since they chopped weight by 400 pounds but kept same 2.0 but couldnt get past jelly bean styling. Then I saw the sport and I was like thats what I want right there...

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Sales will eventually level off, but word is the rivals are already getting their act together and creating models that will compete. I know Toyota is getting on that, no doubt Chevy won't, but it could be the start of a new trend which would be nice.
There really are very few competing cars out there for sure. I honestly don’t know what else I might’ve bought had the BS not been available. I’m perhaps enough of a Ford guy to have gone the Escape route. Jeep might be about the only competitor. Subarus seem to be capable enough that they might have earned their black plastic.
https://www.carbibles.com/crossovers-with-black-cladding-for-ruggedness-is-officially-a-trend-now/
Apparently everyone is scrambling to outfit those suburbanite cars with as much black plastic as possible, perhaps more than normal, to try to catch up & have something to offer.

Toyota is an interesting case for sure as with their heritage and strength in the Tacoma, they should be pursuing this market hard. No doubt they’re really looking at what their RAV4 TRD is doing. But hopefully someone there too is passionate about a Bronco & Wrangler competitor with a new FJ.

Interesting you should mention Chevy though. I really don’t get what they’re doing, or not doing in this segment. I realize they have to focus their efforts on the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, but you’d think they could carry that through to make a compelling lineup of something.
https://www.chevrolet.com/suvs/trailblazer
They honestly seem happy stocking lots with 2010 Kias that at least here aren’t selling. I’ve seen fewer of these than the Blazer and fewer of those than there are Sports on my street (the neighbors a few doors up brought home an A51 BB a few months back, and there’s a CG OB the other side of the hood).

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
There really are very few competing cars out there for sure. I honestly don’t know what else I might’ve bought had the BS not been available. I’m perhaps enough of a Ford guy to have gone the Escape route. Jeep might be about the only competitor. Subarus seem to be capable enough that they might have earned their black plastic.
https://www.carbibles.com/crossovers-with-black-cladding-for-ruggedness-is-officially-a-trend-now/
Apparently everyone is scrambling to outfit those suburbanite cars with as much black plastic as possible, perhaps more than normal, to try to catch up & have something to offer.

Toyota is an interesting case for sure as with their heritage and strength in the Tacoma, they should be pursuing this market hard. No doubt they’re really looking at what their RAV4 TRD is doing. But hopefully someone there too is passionate about a Bronco & Wrangler competitor with a new FJ.

Interesting you should mention Chevy though. I really don’t get what they’re doing, or not doing in this segment. I realize they have to focus their efforts on the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, but you’d think they could carry that through to make a compelling lineup of something.
https://www.chevrolet.com/suvs/trailblazer
They honestly seem happy stocking lots with 2010 Kias that at least here aren’t selling. I’ve seen fewer of these than the Blazer and fewer of those than there are Sports on my street (the neighbors a few doors up brought home an A51 BB a few months back, and there’s a CG OB the other side of the hood).
Chevy is interesting, what says it all is they brought out the new Trailblazer at the perfect time to compete with the Big Bronco and Wrangler….only it won’t because it’s another CUV with Camaro accents. They totally missed the trend and produced that.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE