Obbay1953

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
I'm driving in Colorado, in and out of snow covered roads. I'm using the "Slippery" GOAT mode and I also engage 4WD if conditions warrant. Is there a recommended maximum safe speed to drive while in 4WD? Given the conditions that warrant driving in 4WD, I'll obviously drive slower though I want to know the top speed recommended if someone knows. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I'm driving in Colorado, in and out of snow covered roads. I'm using the "Slippery" GOAT mode and I also engage 4WD if conditions warrant. Is there a recommended maximum safe speed to drive while in 4WD? Given the conditions that warrant driving in 4WD, I'll obviously drive slower though I want to know the top speed recommended if someone knows. Thanks in advance.
I thought 4wd is always engag ....

Oh, you have a Badlands and are referring to 4wd low, right?

Mlarv

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

if he is going into 4 low while driving I would like to see that. Any other vehicles I have owned you had to come to a complete stop to engage 4lo.

max speed is what feels comfortable in the condition. If you can put the center instrument cluster in the mode you can see which wheels have traction and which wheels are getting power, that should give you a good clue how you are doing.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
tbh, just put it in slippery mode and call it a day. i think locking the diff and that kind of stuff is more for low speed crawling and such.
i would check your owner's manual just to be on the safe side.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL

if he is going into 4 low while driving I would like to see that. Any other vehicles I have owned you had to come to a complete stop to engage 4lo.

max speed is what feels comfortable in the condition. If you can put the center instrument cluster in the mode you can see which wheels have traction and which wheels are getting power, that should give you a good clue how you are doing.
BS doesn't have a transfer case, so no 4 Low.

If you're using GOAT modes, I would let the computer do the thinking. If it auto engages the 4WD lock, let it, otherwise don't use the 4WD or rear diff lock unless you need to get out of a sticky situation.

OP
OP

Obbay1953

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9

4WD isn't always engaged (AWD is I suppose). I was only referring to either manually putting it in 4WD or allowing the GOAT modes automatically engage according to the mode.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There is no speed limitation listed in the Owner's Manual for operating the vehicle with 4WD locked. The only limitation I'm aware of in the manual is the caution that driving with 4WD locked on dry pavement can damage the system. Based on the plethora of reviews I've seen, Ford's "Intelligent 4WD" system is indeed intelligent, and will switch in and out of the appropriate 4WD mode as required. My advice is to leave it set to NORMAL or ECO when driving on wintry roads and let the system do it's thing. Leave the other GOAT modes--some of which lock in 4WD--to driving off the pavement. Certainly do not lock the system in 4WD on road unless you are in truly slippery conditions.

OP
OP

Obbay1953

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Iā€™m back now though Iā€™d like to see how it would respond as you suggest. I wasnā€˜t aware the system could decide which GOAT mode to select based on conditions. I knew certain modes automatically puts it in 4WD. Thanks for the advice. Hope to test it soon though itā€™s in the 70ā€™s here and I think winter is over.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Iā€™m back now though Iā€™d like to see how it would respond as you suggest. I wasnā€˜t aware the system could decide which GOAT mode to select based on conditions. I knew certain modes automatically puts it in 4WD. Thanks for the advice. Hope to test it soon though itā€™s in the 70ā€™s here and I think winter is over.
The system can not change GOAT modes automatically. The ā€œintelligent ā€œ feature just means that the system can determine when and where to send power (and how much of it to send).

I know the owners manual is big but it really is an important read.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I wasnā€˜t aware the system could decide which GOAT mode to select based on conditions.
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word "mode." As DMEARC notes, the system will not automatically select GOAT modes, although my assumption is that in the right conditions it will function much the same as if you had manually selected one.

Because it's bad for the system to operate on dry pavement with 4WD or the rear differential in lock mode, I don't believe the computer will ever automatically configure the system with those components locked. It can, however, send power to the rear wheels as needed when the front wheels slip, and it can selectively use the brakes to prevent wheel spin at all four corners. Leaving it in NORMAL or ECO mode should provide more than satisfactory performance for 99% of on-road conditions most owners might experience, especially those living in Georgia. ā˜ƒ

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
ā€¦although my assumption is that in the right conditions it will function much the same as if you had manually selected one.

It can, however, send power to the rear wheels as needed when the front wheels slip, and it can selectively use the brakes to prevent wheel spin at all four corners.
Of course using the brakes isnā€™t the same as locking the 4 wheels as the Badlands can do on command which can be a hugely important feature.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
What I see worries me a little.
It sounds like most of you all are giving opinions rather than facts.
This guy could do damage to his system if he takes the wrong advice,
Agree ?
How about someone look it up in the owners manual and posts a page number. Since he cannot find it himself.
Just sayin~~~~

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I've seen a couple videos where they test in some pretty rough areas and just leave it in normal, one review legit was are the goat modes totally bogus thats how good the intelligent system is supposed to be 95% of the time