Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Has anyone else noticed that the lane centering system has a difficult time in high wind situations? I noticed this since I had the vehicle, any crosswind over about 20 mph the system constantly overcorrects with the steering and ends up inducing a minor steering oscillation (steering wheel moving rapidly left/right). I end up taking it off when in high winds because it makes the vehicle unstable.

Ironically, the lane centering responds a bit better to high winds after I put my 1.5" inch lift and slightly larger tires on, but it's still overcorrects so badly I end up turning it off.

Wish I had video to really show what I'm talking about, but if anyone else has experienced this, I'd like to know!
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes. And we have so much road repair going on that the black tar filling cracks is new and shiny and it thinks it is a lane. Between that and the Illinois prairie wind, it’s permanently shutoff.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Have you noticed it's not particularly easy to manually (no assistance) keep the vehicle centered in your lane in high winds? It's kinda the nature of the beast. This is a relatively light vehicle, with a relatively short wheelbase, an a relatively soft suspension. AND, it's about as far from aerodynamic as you can get. This is not a recipe for stability in high winds.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I go to an area that has high winds fairly often and have no trouble at all keeping the Bronco in the lane compared to the pickup trucks I've been driving the last 40 years.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Uhm.. everyone and everything will have difficulty in high wind conditions.

Fergus

Outer Banks
First Name
Fergus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS OB
The only thing I don't like about this vehicle is its handling in high wind. And if it's pouring rain and windy it downright dangerous.

OP
OP
Rawah652

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Have you noticed it's not particularly easy to manually (no assistance) keep the vehicle centered in your lane in high winds? It's kinda the nature of the beast. This is a relatively light vehicle, with a relatively short wheelbase, an a relatively soft suspension. AND, it's about as far from aerodynamic as you can get. This is not a recipe for stability in high winds.
Actually, the vehicle is quite easy to control in high winds. The corrections that are needed for winds and gusts are minimal. Now, the issue you described CAN lead to problems if you are trying to overcontrol the vehicle, which is exactly what the lane centering system is doing in gusty winds.

Yes. And we have so much road repair going on that the black tar filling cracks is new and shiny and it thinks it is a lane. Between that and the Illinois prairie wind, it’s permanently shutoff.
I've definitely noticed that as well! There's also one particular highway exit that the bronco seems to REALLY want to take everytime I have the system on. Both of those issues are warnings in the owner's manual. I just find it odd that the owners manual makes no mention of the issues it has in gusty winds.
Sponsored