fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I can say on my base model L doesn't lock it into 1st gear. When going down a hill on the interstate it would just maintain engine braking and hold whatever gear would give me the right rpm.
I can tell you , at least when I put it in low at almost a stand still ,on the Beach, it never came out of low when I hit paved road , it was screaming at around 40 mph , it's what alerted me that it was still in low , whatever . Never activated it while driving at highway speeds , was afraid to .;)
Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
This is why I wish the driver's manuals for these vehicles were more clear on exactly what each feature does. This isn't unique to this vehicle, for the last 8 years since this sort of tech has been in off-road vehicles these discussions have been going on about what exactly each button does.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This is why I wish the driver's manuals for these vehicles were more clear on exactly what each feature does. This isn't unique to this vehicle, for the last 8 years since this sort of tech has been in off-road vehicles these discussions have been going on about what exactly each button does.
Honestly I recall having my dad explain four low in our 79 bronco was for icy conditions and low gear was for slow speed to get better traction. Never mentioned hills (which seems to be the main purpose...who knew.) Then again we are at 500ft above sea level with the biggest hill at 600. So...hills aren't part of my daily.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
"L" is similar to tow mode on other cars. Helps by dropping to a lower gear when pulling a trailer and using the engine to supplement breaks on line downhills. Can be used in any gear.

Scott@907

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
When your at a stop light and want to race the Jeep beside you. Sport mode/low peddle to floor! ??

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
"L" is similar to tow mode on other cars. Helps by dropping to a lower gear when pulling a trailer and using the engine to supplement breaks on line downhills. Can be used in any gear.
I'd use sport for towing as that Goat moves the shift points up in relation to throttle input.
A little throttle, it shifts 500 rpm higher,
A bunch of throttle it shifts 2,000 rpm higher,
I noted shifts seem to complete faster in Sport.
But as another noted, from a stop when 'LOW' is toggled it stays in Low.
From what I can tell with my very limited testing, The low button will not allow upshifts from what ever gear was selected by the transmission when the Low button was activated.
Did that make a lick of sense ?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it does make sense , I guess if you want to stay in second gear , you would select low to keep it there when it shifts to it . 4X4 Low is used for hills or what ever you want to creep slow with . My F250 SD has manual for shifting into any gear I want , I use 2 nd for the Beach sometimes , 4X4 Low only stays engaged under 20m mph , it's in the F250 's Trucks owners manual.

Someone needs to test your theory .

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
ROOKIE Question...thought I would piggy back on this thread. Don't get much snow/ice in South Texas (except for Snowpocalypse this year) and never really owned a 4WD before. Do you need to use a "GOAT mode" to engage the 4WD? Or is it always "on" in some function? Like for light snow/ice, do I need to go to "Slippery" mode or I am getting increased traction in "Normal".

Told you it was super Rookie! Any input appreciated.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I guess I would only use L mode if I needed extra traction at lower speeds. Do not think I would use it for trying to go 50mph and pull a trailer. When you plug the 4-pin from your trailer to the hitch the BS should adjust/raise the shift points automatically.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ROOKIE Question...thought I would piggy back on this thread. Don't get much snow/ice in South Texas (except for Snowpocalypse this year) and never really owned a 4WD before. Do you need to use a "GOAT mode" to engage the 4WD? Or is it always "on" in some function? Like for light snow/ice, do I need to go to "Slippery" mode or I am getting increased traction in "Normal".

Told you it was super Rookie! Any input appreciated.
Its pretty much in 4x4 all the time if needed , using the GOAT modes changes shift points or traction control points . Others here can probably get into more detail or correct me . Sport mode is the most fun so far , Sand worked great for us one the Beach , Normal gets good fuel milage , haven't needed or tried ECO or Slippery yet ,no Snow down here in Florida .

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Its pretty much in 4x4 all the time if needed , using the GOAT modes changes shift points or traction control points . Others here can probably get into more detail or correct me . Sport mode is the most fun so far , Sand worked great for us one the Beach , Normal gets good fuel milage , haven't needed or tried ECO or Slippery yet ,no Snow down here in Florida .
Thanks for the reply. Good info. I am excited about getting it down to the beach in two weeks!
Sponsored