L mode

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey everyone. I'm a happy owner of the Big Bend model. When would I use the L mode or low mode? Also, would you use it in conjunction with the goat modes? Is it the same as other low modes where you just keep in 1st gear?
Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Edit: I was wrong here, it moves the shift points way up I to higher RPMS.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Copy that. When would be a good time to use this ?
Here in the midwest we use low gear for deep slick snow and ice when traction is a premium. Or deep mud. It just gives better grip instead of spinning wheels and burning gas. At least that's how I've used it. A lot of articles mention using it for steep grades going down hill specifically to reduce pressure on your brakes and going up steep grades to give more power to the drive.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Here in the midwest we use low gear for deep slick snow and ice when traction is a premium. Or deep mud. It just gives better grip instead of spinning wheels and burning gas. At least that's how I've used it.
Awesome thank you.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I'm actually not sure why this button even exists you can just switch it to manual to get down to first gear to lock it.

I know when I'm going downhill in my Cherokee I put in the manual but I will go between 1st and 3rd gear. You give up a lot of control just toggling that on and off.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I'm actually not sure why this button even exists you can just switch it to manual to get down to first gear to lock it.

I know when I'm going downhill in my Cherokee I put in the manual but I will go between 1st and 3rd gear. You give up a lot of control just toggling that on and off.
The L button replaces the M button for non Badlands/FEs.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I've used mine for descent control but my 1.5L has little hold back strength as it's such a light crank and all that.

You can use low at higher speeds like 50 mph and it will not drop into 1st gear.
When I press Low at 50, 55 mph it drops to a gear that puts the tac at about 4000 or 5000 rpm for engine braking.
But again it's not like a V-6 or V8, not even as good as a 4 banger.
You cannot hurt it but be advised. Using brakes properly for down hill control is best because brakes are cheap to replace.
As for slow rolling off road or like I do on my steep gravel roads LOW is best because it keeps the engine up on the tac and in the turbo.
Far less work for the motor to climb at 8 to 12 mph in low at 1800 to 2500 ish rpm. My turbo is helping at 1700 rpm as opposed to drive where I'd be in 2nd and the engine is near lugging at 1400 rpm, well below the turbo...
My sweet spot on the tac in LOW is on the smoother steeper sections where I'm climbing at 2500 to 3000 rpm. My little 1.5L dragon is barely working hard. Feels like it's just rolling down the blacktop going up a 13 to 14 degree climb.
When things are loose and slippery and I use the slippery GOAT mode I feel the thing change. The throttle becomes easier to control, not so touchy, sensitivity is vastly reduced. With a smoother throttle Traction easily doubles !
In this we find enlightenment and nirvana with the GOATS. And at runs end you can contemplate this, 'On the tree of Woe'. You simply must fully understand your vehicle. It must become an extension of you. And in this state of being your Baby Bronc will climb like a,,,,
Wait for it,,,,
A Billy Goat !
Sorry I couldn't resist :'P

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I use it in conjunction with Sand Mode on the Beach , worked great our speed limit on the beach is 15 MPH , just don't forget to release it when you get back on the paved roads , don't ask me how I know this :facepalm: .

blown4v

Base
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I can say on my base model L doesn't lock it into 1st gear. When going down a hill on the interstate it would just maintain engine braking and hold whatever gear would give me the right rpm.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've used mine for descent control but my 1.5L has little hold back strength as it's such a light crank and such.

You can use low at higher speeds like 50 mph and it will not drop into 1st gear.
When I press Low at 50, 55 mph it drops to a gear that puts the tac at about ish 4500 or 5000 rpm for engine braking.
But again it's not like a V-6 or V8, not even as good as a 4 banger.
You cannot hurt it but be advised. Using brakes properly for down hill control is best because brakes are cheap to replace.
As for slow rolling off road or like I do on my steep gravel roads LOW is best because it keeps the engine up on the tac and in the turbo.
Far less work for the motor to climb at 8 to 12 mph in low at 1800 to 2200 ish rpm. My turbo is helping at 1700 rpm as opposed to drive where I'd be in 2nd and the engine is near lugging at 1500 rpm below the turbo...
My sweet spot on the tac in LOW is on the smoother steeper sections where I'm climbing at 2500 to 2800 rpm. My little 1.5L dragon is barely working hard. Feels like is just rolling down the blacktop going up a 13 to 14 degree climb.
When things are loose and slippery and I use the slippery GOAT mode I feel the thing change. The throttle becomes easier to control. Traction doubles. And it climbs like a,,,,
Wait for it,,,,
A Billy Goat !
Sorry I couldn't resist :'P
Great explanation as always. Thank you.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I can say on my base model L doesn't lock it into 1st gear. When going down a hill on the interstate it would just maintain engine braking and hold whatever gear would give me the right rpm.
Awesome Thank you.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Ahhh...that's much more usefully. It must change the shift point to a much higher RPM.
Sponsored