ChadG

Big Bend
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
i can’t find an interior release for my Big Bend liftgate. Doesn’t it have one?
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
If you mean the power release from the dash, some models do not have it. If you have one it is right below your headlight switch. Without a power lift gate it’s really kind of silly to have the button since the obvious lift point causes the person opening the gate to hit the open button.

OP
OP
ChadG

ChadG

Big Bend
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If you mean the power release from the dash, some models do not have it. If you have one it is right below your headlight switch. Without a power lift gate it’s really kind of silly to have the button since the obvious lift point causes the person opening the gate to hit the open button.
Would eliminate having to get out of vehicle when getting to your car grocery pickup. Guess my wife will have to dig around in her purse for the remote if she wants to stay out of the weather. I found dash photos of a base model that had a switch to the left of the headlight switch. I guess that switch must have disappeared along with the engine cover when Ford started dropping standard features.

rasII

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Would eliminate having to get out of vehicle when getting to your car grocery pickup. Guess my wife will have to dig around in her purse for the remote if she wants to stay out of the weather. I found dash photos of a base model that had a switch to the left of the headlight switch. I guess that switch must have disappeared along with the engine cover when Ford started dropping standard features.
M

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The wife and I got a really nasty cold a few weeks ago and didn't want to spread it around, so we ordered some groceries and NyQuil and DayQuil and picked it up in the store parking lot.

The employee came out with the stuff, I opened the gate from the driver's seat and we thus avoided contaminating the employee.

It can be useful.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
The wife and I got a really nasty cold a few weeks ago and didn't want to spread it around, so we ordered some groceries and NyQuil and DayQuil and picked it up in the store parking lot.

The employee came out with the stuff, I opened the gate from the driver's seat and we thus avoided contaminating the employee.

It can be useful.
It can, but I’d bet you that the employee lifted the gate by placing their finger right on the button that unlatches the hatch. I realized it’s just a natural place to lift (for a right-handed person). That said, there is something reassuring about hearing the unlatch “click” for both the driver and the employee.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
He probably did, but I hadn't opened the back for over 6 weeks so he didn't get anything from touching it.

Fordson04

Big Bend
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
They got rid of the interior liftgate switch on the base and Big Bend mid-2021 model year. I had a 2021 Big Bend that did not have it that was built in October of 2021. I asked the dealer and they called Ford and it was something that was phased out on those models mid model year

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Are we sure you don't have to manually unlock the rear hatch first -- by pressing the door lock/unlock button on the door, before the hatch can be manually opened (from the outside, by someone who doesn't have the key)?

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Are we sure you don't have to manually unlock the rear hatch first -- by pressing the door lock/unlock button on the door, before the hatch can be manually opened (from the outside, by someone who doesn't have the key)?
Yes, the doors must be unlocked before you can open the liftgate using the exterior release button. If you have a release button on the dash (near the headlight switch) you can push it to unlock/open the liftgate with the doors locked.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, the doors must be unlocked before you can open the liftgate using the exterior release button. If you have a release button on the dash (near the headlight switch) you can push it to unlock/open the liftgate with the doors locked.
So there IS an advantage -- a quick and easy way while sitting in the parked BS -- key buried somewhere on my person but not conveniently accessible, and why would it be? -- to "pop" the rear hatch without unlocking the rest of the vehicle. I have used it this way and would miss it. (I asked my question because I realized I've never waited for them to try the hatch before popping it open with the release button 1st.)

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well, if they got rid of the button in the newer models, I guess that dashes my hopes for a powered lift gate option.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Well, if they got rid of the button in the newer models, I guess that dashes my hopes for a powered lift gate option.
I could be wrong (I often am), but I don't think a powered liftgate is in the future for the Bronco Sport. The hardware for a powered liftgate add weight, and most of it will be at the hinge. This is a relatively tall vehicle, and any weight added up top makes the vehicle more prone to rollover. That's why the dynamic limits for weight on the roof are so low for the Bronco Sport.
Sponsored