Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
So on my Badlands, I am having an issue where my key fob is not detected by my car when I go to start it. I can safely relate this to when my Bronco is extremely hot from sitting out in the 90+ degree temps. It will cool down for a few minutes and be fine. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sharmie

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport (Badlands/Badlands pkg)
So on my Badlands, I am having an issue where my key fob is not detected by my car when I go to start it. I can safely relate this to when my Bronco is extremely hot from sitting out in the 90+ degree temps. It will cool down for a few minutes and be fine. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes, you are not alone. I had this issue today on my BL/BL and it was 90/91 degrees. My car was outside in an un-sheltered parking lot for a couple of hours.
I had to wait a few minutes until the key was detected. The radio still worked and I was able to get into my car, so this threw me for a little loop when I got the “key not detected” message.
On a related note, how would I know if my key is about to die? Is there any warning that we are given? I was worried that the key had died.
Thanks in advance!

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Our Explorer displays a message on the dash when the FOB battery is getting low. I presume my BS will do the same.

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you are not alone. I had this issue today on my BL/BL and it was 90/91 degrees. My car was outside in an un-sheltered parking lot for a couple of hours.
I had to wait a few minutes until the key was detected. The radio still worked and I was able to get into my car, so this threw me for a little loop when I got the “key not detected” message.
On a related note, how would I know if my key is about to die? Is there any warning that we are given? I was worried that the key had died.
Thanks in advance!
Yeah, my focus warned me. For what it’s worth, I tried both my fobs and it happened the same in my BS. I made an appt at the ford dealer next week.

Sharmie

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my focus warned me. For what it’s worth, I tried both my fobs and it happened the same in my BS. I made an appt at the ford dealer next week.
Thanks for this! Yes, I’m going to make an appointment also! Good luck—pls keep us posted!

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Thanks in advance!
If your fob dies you can still place it on the emergency spot under the mat under the usb chargers. That will allow you to start and drive your car.

Sharmie

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your fob dies you can still place it on the emergency spot under the mat under the usb chargers. That will allow you to start and drive your car.
Thanks for this - I had seen something about it on a video and believe that there's going to be a webcast livestream thing tomorrow on Ford's site that covers some topics-- I think key fob may be on it!.

The Discover Your Ford series: Tomorrow 7/14 at 11:00am Pacific; Here's the link: https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/2021/Ford/Bronco Sport/discover-your-ford/livestream

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sharmie Update: My BS is at the dealer and they confirmed the issue and said , " this is a first for them" They need both my fobs to finish the diagnostics.. Ill let you know what they find when I get to that point.

Sharmie

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sharmie Update: My BS is at the dealer and they confirmed the issue and said , " this is a first for them" They need both my fobs to finish the diagnostics.. Ill let you know what they find when I get to that point.
Thanks so much for the update! I have an appointment on Friday and I will take both of my key fobs with me. I haven’t experienced the error message since that day; however, I haven’t left it outside in 90+ degree weather since. Will keep close. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for the update! I have an appointment on Friday and I will take both of my key fobs with me. I haven’t experienced the error message since that day; however, I haven’t left it outside in 90+ degree weather since. Will keep close. Fingers crossed!
The dealer still has it and the shop foreman is working on it , waiting on a call back from Ford’s engineering dept. The dealer is at least excellent w/their updates

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thankyou so much! I’m glad that I’ll get some warning!
If it's your daily driver, I'd suggest change the battery every year, or year and a half, at least one Fob. I try to rotate which key I use every couple weeks just to keep the key active. I consider it preventative maintenance from all the push button start cars I've leased along the way.

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this! Yes, I’m going to make an appointment also! Good luck—pls keep us posted!
According to Ford there are 7 antennas that detect your keys signal. Ford Overnighted the one they believe was the culprit that was in the console area and it was installed. So far the dealer says it works but hard to confirm because we don’t have 90 degree weather. Picking it up today and giving it a go.
Sponsored