mjp78

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL
If you use a fuse tap you don't need to cut any factory wiring. Here's a video on how fuse taps work.

I think we are asking/answering different questions. I’ve used fuse taps before and all it gives you is a hot lead to crimp or tie into. My dash am (same as yours) has a 12vDC(cigarette lighter) to USB C cable for power. If I use the fuse tap I still need to get it to USB-C. Did you cut the cable that came with the dash cam or did you use a new USB cable and save the original one. Something needs to get connected to the fuse tap unless you just wired in a female 12vDC plug.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I think we are asking/answering different questions. I’ve used fuse taps before and all it gives you is a hot lead to crimp or tie into. My dash am (same as yours) has a 12vDC(cigarette lighter) to USB C cable for power. If I use the fuse tap I still need to get it to USB-C. Did you cut the cable that came with the dash cam or did you use a new USB cable and save the original one. Something needs to get connected to the fuse tap unless you just wired in a female 12vDC plug.
I bought a hard wire kit for the dash cam. It includes connections for both always-hot and switched power connections. I used only the switched connection for mine.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
I bought a hard wire kit for the dash cam. It includes connections for both always-hot and switched power connections. I used only the switched connection for mine.
Oh oh, that one is sold out.

this one works?
Dash Cam Hardwire Kit, Miofive 11.5ft Micro USB Hard Wire Kit for Dashcam Converts 12V-24V to 5V/2.4A w/Fuse Kit and Installation Tool, Enables Parking Mode, Low Voltage Protection for Dash Cameras https://a.co/d/iXDI8xn

is the cam uses USB-c or micro USB? Can’t find that in the descriptions

thanks!

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Last weekend I was the victim of a hit and run just dents and scratches. Totally sucked when I watched him just leave but boy did I ever love having the camera. Had full plate including the actual impact. Was also lucky a good samaritan stopped and confirmed everything to the police.

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Wildtrak
I ordered a 10-pack (link below), mainly because I'm always tinkering, but you can likely find a single at your local auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1KPX7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's possible to buy it in unit on Aliexpress.

Tryed to install my dashcam last weekend, but the "add a circuit" I used to use in the Compass didn't fit (Mini fuse vs Micro fuse).

I ordered one "Micro 2" and I'm waiting for it arrive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000648828410.html

Last edited:

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in my case, I have a small DC-DC transfmormer from 12V to 5DC with a microUSB end

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh oh, that one is sold out.

this one works?
Dash Cam Hardwire Kit, Miofive 11.5ft Micro USB Hard Wire Kit for Dashcam Converts 12V-24V to 5V/2.4A w/Fuse Kit and Installation Tool, Enables Parking Mode, Low Voltage Protection for Dash Cameras https://a.co/d/iXDI8xn

is the cam uses USB-c or micro USB? Can’t find that in the descriptions

thanks!
take a look here

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20220829100921&SearchText=dashcam+hardwire+kit&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

there are several options.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
https://www.amazon.com/THINKWARE-iVolt-Mini-External-Battery/dp/B07YGVQ1V3

there is a less expensive option with a smaller battery.

come to think of it, might as well just buy a $60 jump start battery to keep in the car, which I do for my other cars. that will resolve the "just in case" situation.
How long would be long enough to drain a car battery tho? Just curious. Most of these cameras only activate the main draw if they sense some kind of input in parked mode. Unless they are doing the 30sec buffer thing. Then I guess they would be a constant recording draw.

I drive mine daily. So just curious. I’m considering a dash am too.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
How long would be long enough to drain a car battery tho? Just curious. Most of these cameras only activate the main draw if they sense some kind of input in parked mode. Unless they are doing the 30sec buffer thing. Then I guess they would be a constant recording draw.

I drive mine daily. So just curious. I’m considering a dash am too.
every camera has a different way of operating "parked" mode probably. I have not hooked up my parked mode yet. I will report later. I got the same camera as the OP of this thread.

if you drive yours daily, probably less of a problem. My BS may parked for a few days or just being moved about in/out of the driveway/garage for those days. I read the parked mode has a sensor for 11.8 V for cutoff...so if that's not enough for the BS to start, I will find out soon enough.

I highly recommend a dashcam. I'm sure you all have read/heard the unfortunate experiences. also, it is cool to be able to catch some footage constantly....like an UFO fly by in the desert :). the cost of a dash cam I believe has gone down with units equipped with GPS and other better capabilities. I just find it funny why most manufacturer does not offer this option as we have front and back cameras already (and some cars has many more than just two).

btw, our BS really has limited mounting option for the back camera. mine double sided tape already fell off in the summer heat. it doesn't stick well to that soft plastic molding on the back hatch.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
every camera has a different way of operating "parked" mode probably. I have not hooked up my parked mode yet. I will report later. I got the same camera as the OP of this thread.

if you drive yours daily, probably less of a problem. My BS may parked for a few days or just being moved about in/out of the driveway/garage for those days. I read the parked mode has a sensor for 11.8 V for cutoff...so if that's not enough for the BS to start, I will find out soon enough.

I highly recommend a dashcam. I'm sure you all have read/heard the unfortunate experiences. also, it is cool to be able to catch some footage constantly....like an UFO fly by in the desert :). the cost of a dash cam I believe has gone down with units equipped with GPS and other better capabilities. I just find it funny why most manufacturer does not offer this option as we have front and back cameras already (and some cars has many more than just two).

btw, our BS really has limited mounting option for the back camera. mine double sided tape already fell off in the summer heat. it doesn't stick well to that soft plastic molding on the back hatch.
Yup. Thanks. It’s on the list. My CFO (wife) hasn’t released money yet.

I have the same sticky issues with my GoPro mount in the heat. Summer sux in AZ. Rest of the 9mo is brilliant.

mjp78

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL
Thanks to Mark’s great write up I was able to get mine installed this afternoon. Hardest part was getting the rear camera mounted. Rest of the cable runs were surprisingly easy on the BS compared to most other cars I have owned.

One point of clarification on the RedTiger camera (I ordered the same one). The front camera is in fact 4K. Resolution, verified when I downloaded an image and video to my iPhone, is 3840x2160 (aka 2160P or double 1080P). A purist might argue you need the 4096x2160 aspect ratio to be 4K (hence the name) but with the 2160 is the key indicator. Phone even marked it as 4K. Rear camera is definitely 1080P also.
So far very impressed with the image quality. I haven’t tested it out at night or on 60 fps mode (reduced resolution but double frames per second)
Ford Bronco Sport I Installed a Dash Cam C24A25A2-CD50-4948-B741-16DF970CB846
Sponsored