How will factory fabric wheel well liners hold up?

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Since the BS is a relatively new model that just came out, I hope that there will be a bunch of aftermarket items for the Bronco Sport. Do you think someone will make aftermarket plastic inner wheel well liners to replace factory fabric ones? I am not sure how long these fabric wheel well liners will hold up to water, snow/ice/salt, dirt, and mud. Excuse my ignorance, but these fabric ones are all new to me since my current 2008 Jeep Liberty has rugged plastic wheel liners. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Since the BS is a relatively new model that just came out, I hope that there will be a bunch of aftermarket items for the Bronco Sport. Do you think someone will make aftermarket plastic inner wheel well liners to replace factory fabric ones? I am not sure how long these fabric wheel well liners will hold up to water, snow/ice/salt, dirt, and mud. Excuse my ignorance, but these fabric ones are all new to me since my current 2008 Jeep Liberty has rugged plastic wheel liners. Any thoughts?
I destroyed one of mine (front passenger side ) minor off-roading mishap.

They use the same material on the F-150 ( parts guy at the nearest dealership claims that )

Getting my lower bumper and the wheel well liner replaced this week.

I hope someone makes a plastic replacement. If your bumper gets slightly damaged the wheel liner will get loose. Spin your wheel and it gets destroyed.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
That stinks!

I hope someone makes a plastic replacement. If your bumper gets slightly damaged the wheel liner will get loose. Spin your wheel and it gets destroyed.
I guess that I don't fully understand what you mean by "Spin your wheel and it gets destroyed"?

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
That stinks!

I guess that I don't fully understand what you mean by "Spin your wheel and it gets destroyed"?
Try to drive after it gets loose due to the bumper getting damaged ( in my case I drove on what I thought would be a puddle of water with a thin sheet of ice. Turned out it was 3ā€ thick ice . I broke thru the ice and damaged my bumper. My wheel well liner got loose. When I hit the gas the loose wheel well liner got destroyed.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Try to drive after it gets loose due to the bumper getting damaged ( in my case I drove on what I thought would be a puddle of water with a thin sheet of ice. Turned out it was 3ā€ thick ice . I broke thru the ice and damaged my bumper. My wheel well liner got loose. When I hit the gas the loose wheel well liner got destroyed.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, when my wife and I took BB out for a test drive yesterday, I noticed that the fabric line was somewhat soft and flexible. I still like the vehicle, but I hope that there will be a plastic wheel well solution. I just don't think that chunks of frozen snow or thick mud/rocks being slung up against it over time aren't going to damage the fabric.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Installing mud flaps today, I had exactly the same question as you. It seems weird to have fabric liners like that. Maybe they know something I don't but I'm not sure.

Kschaff83

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport, 2015 X6 50i
My 2015 X6 has fabric wheel liners had no issues and Iā€™ve lived in central Alberta and currently live in Kelowna British Columbia. It holds up well

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Add me to the list of surprised folks to find fabric in the wheel wells. For those of you installing mud flaps on the rear, when you pull the fabric out a bit, what's behind it doesn't instill a lot of confidence - I noticed some material on the rear drivers side (looked like cotton) protecting some parts between the wheel well and the bumper. I bet mice and other critters will have a blast making a nest.

Sosa

Base
First Name
Enoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah I didnā€™t even notice this til I went to try to get some of the ice out from under there and the fabric was inside the ice so was hard to get off without damaging the liner.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Yeah I didnā€™t even notice this til I went to try to get some of the ice out from under there and the fabric was inside the ice so was hard to get off without damaging the liner.
Living up here in Great Lakes "Lake Effect" snow country, that is one of my concerns. Like I said, with enough demand and production, I am hoping that there will be aftermarket companies making upgrade parts like plastic liners for the Bronco Sports. :please:

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ā€˜22 Explr ST ordered
I have fabric wheel liners on my '18 Jeep GC. It is for noise dampening. I have driven the vehicle in this lovely salt/snow/ice mix for a few winters and they have held up nicely. Unsure of Ford's product.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
'Textile' wheel well liners are not uncommon -- they perform the dual functions of shielding the inner workings and sound deadening. How well it does either or both might be debatable. Of course my F-150 had NO liners at the rear, my current VW has textile liners at all 4 corners. They get a lot harder over time as dirt and other contaminants well, contaminate them. Snow and ice clearance is a big issue -- except that with very little clearance to get in there on the VW, I can only poke at it around the edges, sometimes without much success -- it gets PACKED. Plastic liners IN ADDITION would be great to have, to shed that snow and ice. Increased sound deadening around the wheels, engine bay (? - note that only the BL and FE come with the underhood blanket, even though the cutouts for it underhood are there for all trims; this for the higher temps with the 2.0LT I suppose, though it should also dampen noise) and also for audio applications, is always an option at these interiors too.

OP
OP
Huntyeraws

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
'Textile' wheel well liners are not uncommon -- they perform the dual functions of shielding the inner workings and sound deadening. How well it does either or both might be debatable. Of course my F-150 had NO liners at the rear, my current VW has textile liners at all 4 corners. They get a lot harder over time as dirt and other contaminants well, contaminate them. Snow and ice clearance is a big issue -- except that with very little clearance to get in there on the VW, I can only poke at it around the edges, sometimes without much success -- it gets PACKED. Plastic liners IN ADDITION would be great to have, to shed that snow and ice. Increased sound deadening around the wheels, engine bay (? - note that only the BL and FE come with the underhood blanket, even though the cutouts for it underhood are there for all trims; this for the higher temps with the 2.0LT I suppose, though it should also dampen noise) and also for audio applications, is always an option at these interiors too.
When I get thick cornfield mud, snow, ice, and salt residue caked onto my inner plastic wells of my Jeep, a hose or pressure washer gets that all cleaned out nice and easy. Now, I am not sure how this fabric will hold up over time to a pressure washer.

I think the key here is just like that one word of advice that the guy said to Dustin Hoffman in the movie "The Graduate" - PLASTICS! ;)

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
My old Nissan Altima had fabric liners in the rear, they held up fine after 60k miles with New England winters. I expect Ford's liners to hold up just as well for daily driving, although off-roading could be a different story.
Sponsored