How the heck do you choose a roof rack

Gestalt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands, Subaru Legacy
Inspired by the post about crossbars, I am wondering how people choose their roof racks?

I have installed the Thule Crossbars from Ford and have been looking at racks to try and figure out which one would be the most suitable for my needs. I've looked at the posts others have given, and they certainly look cool! But I am wondering just what is the difference that justifies the wide range of costs (I've seen anywhere from $100 - $600)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
A lot of the pricing has to do with quality and functionality. It really depends on what you want to put up there and how you want it stored/protected from the elements. It can be a little challenging just to look but if you figure out how often you plan to use it and if you want it to easily remove and go back up. Once you figure out those 2 things, it may eliminate most of the options.

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
For serious crossbars, the main players seem to be Thule, Yakima, and Rhino Rack. Their overhang bar options all include aerodynamic choices, which minimize wind noise if you plan to leave them on all the time. They are all in the $500 to $600 range. I went with Yakima because I'm a "buy American" kind of guy. Plus, If I want to upgrade to a platform system, their Lock-and-Load platform is the one that Ford offers as a DIO. RhinoRack has a add-on platform as well... Thule does not.

Another thing about the Yakima is, you don't have to trim the weatherstrip to add T-Slot accessories. I think the Thule is the same (not sure). On the Rhino Rack you do have to trim around, so if you change attachments, you'll end up with different weatherstrip configurations you have to keep around.

I posted my Yakima install here: Yakima 50" Jetstream Bars (Not Recommended) Install Measurements... Hope this helps.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
Is your question about the roof basket?

you already got the Thule ā€œroof racksā€ which is the cross bars and foot that goes on the factory roof rail.

there are certainly variety of load basket and platforms out there. I think most of them are interchangeable for any roof basket and platforms. I mean a Yakima platforms will go on a Thule crossbars. These racks system can mix brands to a certain degree. Various of carrying capacity and mix of add ons. Some may not be mixed with different brands which present an issue. Not all brands has all the different attachments.

I threw on my 25 yrs old Yakima basket with the Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars. It is meant to able to carry anything large wonā€™t fit in the trunk well or just dirty stuff. Maybe the recovery boards, some camp fire wood l, tie on a shovel if needed, maybe even an additional spare tire.

Iā€™m hoping someone will make a load platform that converts to the roof top tent platform. It is not like I camp with the car a lot but more like making it a outingā€™s base camp for the day.

I like the C6 outdoor RTT design being modular. Iā€™ve asked them maybe they can convert that tent platform into a loading platform when we leave that on the car all the time. Maybe a quick pop up shelter sits on top and since most of time a more structural tent is not necessary. They said something is in the worksā€¦ so Iā€™m waiting. For now, the old basket does the job.
Ford Bronco Sport How the heck do you choose a roof rack CA31E876-ABFB-4DD9-AE0C-812040442FCB

It does add a little wind noise. Some basket comes with a fairing to try to minimize that issue.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Inspired by the post about crossbars, I am wondering how people choose their roof racks?

I have installed the Thule Crossbars from Ford and have been looking at racks to try and figure out which one would be the most suitable for my needs. I've looked at the posts others have given, and they certainly look cool! But I am wondering just what is the difference that justifies the wide range of costs (I've seen anywhere from $100 - $600)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Im all about flexibility, so I wanted something super modular and with minimal height. Itā€™s why I went with the Yakima racks. No need for crossbar, tslots on almost every surface and a good reputation.

I went lock n load B with perimeter rails, awning, and a few other gadgets to start with.

the options are almost endless with tslots. One could even make their own stuff if they were so inclined. Everything can be moved around, taken on and off etc. notice how one of my perimeter rails sits appx 6in in. That is so I can easily put on and off the awning. Takes like 5min to do.

Ford Bronco Sport How the heck do you choose a roof rack A2E874DB-96AE-4C18-AB4F-79845B5C546F
Ford Bronco Sport How the heck do you choose a roof rack C0D497F5-573E-4FED-BA03-0F65731AF44F

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I bought one on discountramps.com. Great price, and it looks to be the same as a much more expensive one from a major brand. A search will find my post. If you can't find it, I'll post tomorrow.

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I was gonna go with OEM crossbars until they gave me the quote. šŸ˜³

I opted for crossbars from Amazon. They were easy to install, have the same load carrying capacity and, because the box was damaged, I got ā€˜em for $25.00 CDN. Another $50 and Iā€™ll have the kayak carrier. Snap!
Sponsored