LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
Yakima recommends the 60" Jetstream Crossbars for the BS. If you buy the Yakima kit from Ford, you'll get the 60" bars. For what I carry, they were too big for me; I wanted the 50" bars. I asked Rack Attack (a Yakima Dealer) to install the 50" for me, but they couldn't because it was "not recommended" by the manufacturer. Not sure why... The Thule's are 53"?

For anyone thinking about getting the Yakima Timberline Towers and the 50" Jetstream bars, here's the measurements I came up with. This is with the Bars mounted directly over the screws on the inside of each of the siderails front and back:
  • The front bars have a 1.25 inch overhang on each side, when measured as shown.
  • The rear bars have a 3.25 inch overhang on each side.
Make some pencil marks where the T-Slot saddle rests, and put the bottom wind-strip in so it's up under the tower. Here's what the 50" Jetstream bars look like mounted, and with the Moonroof open... Hope this helps.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220924_114159

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220924_113713

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220925_085855

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220927_125409
Sponsored

JBOntario

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2015 Fusion
Yakima recommends the 60" Jetstream Crossbars for the BS. If you buy the Yakima kit from Ford, you'll get the 60" bars. For what I carry, they were too big for me; I wanted the 50" bars. I asked Rack Attack (a Yakima Dealer) to install the 50" for me, but they couldn't because it was "not recommended" by the manufacturer. Not sure why... The Thule's are 53"?

For anyone thinking about getting the Yakima Timberline Towers and the 50" Jetstream bars, here's the measurements I came up with. This is with the Bars mounted directly over the screws on the inside of each of the siderails front and back:
  • The front bars have a 1.25 inch overhang on each side, when measured as shown.
  • The rear bars have a 3.25 inch overhang on each side.
Make some pencil marks where the T-Slot saddle rests, and put the bottom wind-strip in so it's up under the tower. Here's what the 50" Jetstream bars look like mounted, and with the Moonroof open... Hope this helps.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220924_114159

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220924_113713

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220925_085855

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima 50" Jetstream Bar (Not Recommended) Install Measurements 20220927_125409
Hi.. How did these work out for you? Any problems yet? I've got the 50" Jetstream bars (for my 2015 Fusion) and was hoping to use them on my Bronco Sport and only buy new "towers". Yakima site says that they don't fit/not recommended (they say 60"), but when I measure I don't see why they wouldn't... Thnx

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi.. How did these work out for you? Any problems yet? I've got the 50" Jetstream bars (for my 2015 Fusion) and was hoping to use them on my Bronco Sport and only buy new "towers". Yakima site says that they don't fit/not recommended (they say 60"), but when I measure I don't see why they wouldn't... Thnx
I would imagine it is physics and dynamic weight. Just musing through the question.

think about holding a pole in your hand (rack on a tower). Is it easier to wrench it out of your hand holding just the end or if you are choked up on it a bit?

I went LockNLoad. So wouldn’t know by experience. Totally different load distribution.

OP
OP
LazyDirtFarmer

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
For me, the 50" bar work just fine... Most of my loads are 8x4' wood panels, drywall, and 2x4s, so I didn't need 60" bars... I hear some folks carry kayak and bike racks on their roof racks, some with cargo boxes or baskets along side. For this type of setup, the 60" bars would give you more space. But, 50" is plenty for me; The weight is still on the sidebars regardless... Any basket or platform I may get later are all only 48" wide and I won't need any overhang.... I guess it depends on what you plan to carry... Hope this helps.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Knowledge is power right !

JBOntario

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2015 Fusion
For me, the 50" bar work just fine... Most of my loads are 8x4' wood panels, drywall, and 2x4s, so I didn't need 60" bars... I hear some folks carry kayak and bike racks on their roof racks, some with cargo boxes or baskets along side. For this type of setup, the 60" bars would give you more space. But, 50" is plenty for me; The weight is still on the sidebars regardless... Any basket or platform I may get later are all only 48" wide and I won't need any overhang.... I guess it depends on what you plan to carry... Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying guys.. I just need to carry 2-3 snowboards (wife, mine, sons) so I don't think it would be "pushing it" (wind load). I bought my Bronco Sport with hitch, so hope to get a small utility trailer for odd time I need to go lumberyard or dump. (just borrow dad's truck for now..)

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I would imagine it is physics and dynamic weight. Just musing through the question.

think about holding a pole in your hand (rack on a tower). Is it easier to wrench it out of your hand holding just the end or if you are choked up on it a bit?

I went LockNLoad. So wouldn’t know by experience. Totally different load distribution.
Thats the one i like and been eyeballing. Any thoughts concerns or complaints on this? What size did you get? I like not needing the crossbars.
Sponsored

Last edited: