How much weight/torque do the tow hooks sustain on the frame?

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I got stuck today in deep snow on one side of the car and had to get pulled out by one of the tow hooks. In the heat of the moment I realized I accidentally put the car back in Park after the first two tries failed. The third attempt jarred the car hard. Nothing seems damaged. Does anyone know how much weight/torque the tow hooks sustain on the frame?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Does anyone know how much weight/torque the tow hooks sustain on the frame?
These are intended for use during an off-road recovery, so they should be able to hold some multiple of the vehicle's weight. I'm not aware of any weight limits published by Ford.

NOTE: The above would apply only to a Badlands or First Edition with factory-installed tow hooks. A portion of the tow hook bracketry for BL & FE trims is welded to the unibody structure. Other trims do not come with factory-installed tow hooks. Tow hooks can be installed, but the factory-welded bracketry is not included, so weight limits on those would be anyone's guess.

OP
OP

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
These are intended for use during an off-road recovery, so they should be able to hold some multiple of the vehicle's weight. I'm not aware of any weight limits published by Ford.

NOTE: The above would apply only to a Badlands or First Edition with factory-installed tow hooks. A portion of the tow hook bracketry for BL & FE trims is welded to the unibody structure. Other trims do not come with factory-installed tow hooks. Tow hooks can be installed, but the factory-welded bracketry is not included, so weight limits on those would be anyone's guess.
I do have the Badlands model. The tow truck pulled hard on one side while it was still in park. Hopefully no damage is done. He did eventually get the car out. Thanks for the info.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
The tow hooks have substantial structure attaching rear of hook to the front frame rail on Badlands. So I would have confidence they can with stand a hard yank.
Ford Bronco Sport How much weight/torque do the tow hooks sustain on the frame? Tow Hook Bracket Annotated

OP
OP

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
The tow hooks have substantial structure attaching rear of hook to the front frame rail on Badlands. So I would have confidence they can with stand a hard yank.
Ford Bronco Sport How much weight/torque do the tow hooks sustain on the frame? Tow Hook Bracket Annotated
Everything seems to be ok. I’ve just never been stuck so badly. Need better tires. Thanks for proving the info.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD

You’d use grade eight bolts of the correct size. Two per side I would assume.
Look at the tech data for the bolts. They should list a shear and load limit for a single bolt.
Then it’s simple math.
Note if it’s made over seas I’d want to find and spec my own bolts. Oriental metals are high in silica content. I would not trust them for this application.
I bet that’s why Ford added some welding.
Knowledge is power so when in doubt I’d over build/spec these recovery hooks.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl