Help me understand 245/65 17s on stock wheel.

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I picked up my big bend the other day and came with the AT KO2 245/65 17s and they look amazing. 400 mile trip home highway and some backwoods, tight u turns at times cranked all the way, rain, rain, rain the things did amazing no issues, no rubbing.

My question is since the stock wheel which they sit on come at 225, I realize you can put a wider tire on a more narrow wheel up to a certain width correct? Or not correct. How does this work?

Also if I upgrade my wheels to an actual 245/65 17 how will this change my stance? More poke out out? Less poke out? (Offset). Will I lose height ?
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I picked up my big bend the other day and came with the AT KO2 245/65 17s and they look amazing. 400 mile trip home highway and some backwoods, tight u turns at times cranked all the way, rain, rain, rain the things did amazing no issues, no rubbing.

My question is since the stock wheel which they sit on come at 225, I realize you can put a wider tire on a more narrow wheel up to a certain width correct? Or not correct. How does this work?

Also if I upgrade my wheels to an actual 245/65 17 how will this change my stance? More poke out out? Less poke out? (Offset). Will I lose height ?
You are speaking about two different things. The factory rim width for all Bronco Sports is 7.0 inches, the rim diameter for most models is 17.0 inches except for the Outer Banks which has 18.0 inch diameter rims, wheel offset for all is 37.5 mm
All BS models come with 225 tires standard, the Badlands has an option for 235's and the First Edition has 235's standard as well as the HLE model.

If your goal is to have the tires stick out beyond the wheel wells, you would need an even larger tire like a 255 series or add wheel spacers behind the current rims which a number of people have done or purchase wider rims and or rims with a different offset that would make them stick out farther.

Your current setup with 245 tires on the stock rims is fine, you could have limited rubbing in certain situations.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You are speaking about two different things. The factory rim width for all Bronco Sports is 7.0 inches, the rim diameter for most models is 17.0 inches except for the Outer Banks which has 18.0 inch diameter rims, wheel offset for all is 37.5 mm
All BS models come with 225 tires standard, the Badlands has an option for 235's and the First Edition has 235's standard as well as the HLE model.

If your goal is to have the tires stick out beyond the wheel wells, you would need an even larger tire like a 255 series or add wheel spacers behind the current rims which a number of people have done or purchase wider rims and or rims with a different offset that would make them stick out farther.

Your current setup with 245 tires on the stock rims is fine, you could have limited rubbing in certain situations.
Thanks for the reply. I plan on purchasing new wheels anyways. I'm guessing I'd just want to figure what type of offset I'd want on them to get a bit of poke.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the reply. I plan on purchasing new wheels anyways. I'm guessing I'd just want to figure what type of offset I'd want on them to get a bit of poke.
You would need to move away (more negative) from the standard +37.5 mm offset, for example +25 mm.
As I previously mentioned, some people here have added wheel spacers on the order of 15 to 20 mm which makes the wheels stick out further. Depending on your finances and if you're happy with the look of the stock rims, spacers are definitely more cost effective.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
This post might help you make some sense of offset on the BS.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have the spacers RSH is discussing. Mine are 30mm, which means the +37.5 mm offset is reduced to +7.5. However, mine came with 235/65/17 tires and those spacers may be too much for 245’s.

But yes, I went that route because I like the wheels and this was a cheap way to push out the tires.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have been researching spacers and the wheel offsets. I think for now I plan on going with the new wheels with a negative offset. I'll discuss with the place I'm purchasing and installing from regarding where we want it sit out. Tbh the air they have now isnt bad. The last owner just added the brush guards which I've kinda fallen more in love with. So a offset to run flush with those or just out a bit more. We'll see what's do-able

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have the spacers RSH is discussing. Mine are 30mm, which means the +37.5 mm offset is reduced to +7.5. However, mine came with 235/65/17 tires and those spacers may be too much for 245’s.

But yes, I went that route because I like the wheels and this was a cheap way to push out the tires.
Thanks for this info. When you say "to much" would you be referring to rubbing or just to much pushing out last the fended? Mind you I have the bushcraft flairs with the fake bolts. Have you noticed any ride qualify issues ? I'll also be adding rough country's strut lift. Thank you

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks for this info. When you say "to much" would you be referring to rubbing or just to much pushing out last the fended? Mind you I have the bushcraft flairs with the fake bolts. Have you noticed any ride qualify issues ? I'll also be adding rough country's strut lift. Thank you
I just put in the caveat of 245’s because I have not tried it. But with the 1.25” and 235’s, it lines up with the outside of my bushwacker flairs, which is what I wanted. As for ride quality, I’d say it is a definite improvement. The stance is only slightly wider but it feels more grounded too me.
I suck at pictures but here you go.

Ford Bronco Sport Help me understand 245/65 17s on stock wheel. EEA209C9-0BF2-4484-91CA-5F052675A949

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just put in the caveat of 245’s because I have not tried it. But with the 1.25” and 235’s, it lines up with the outside of my bushwacker flairs, which is what I wanted. As for ride quality, I’d say it is a definite improvement. The stance is only slightly wider but it feels more grounded too me.
I suck at pictures but here you go.

Ford Bronco Sport Help me understand 245/65 17s on stock wheel. EEA209C9-0BF2-4484-91CA-5F052675A949
Oh so ride qualify improved ?? Awesome. Ive heard different things about spacers effecting it negatively but that could have been old tech. I still want new wheels so I will see what we can do with offset then look into spacers if I cannot achieve the stance I want. Cheers you've all been really helpful.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Oh so ride qualify improved ?? Awesome. Ive heard different things about spacers effecting it negatively but that could have been old tech. I still want new wheels so I will see what we can do with offset then look into spacers if I cannot achieve the stance I want. Cheers you've all been really helpful.
First, you have to like my posts if they help. Bronco Sport forum rules!

Second, when you read about spacers, remember that people talk about two different things. I’m talking about spacers for offset, which often improves ride quality, whereas, many talk about spacers in lifts, which many find that negative effect in ride quality.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
First, you have to like my posts if they help. Bronco Sport forum rules!

Second, when you read about spacers, remember that people talk about two different things. I’m talking about spacers for offset, which often improves ride quality, whereas, many talk about spacers in lifts, which many find that negative effect in ride quality.
Haha fair fair !

Yes I've read about both but again this was years and years ago. But that is exciting to hear now that the offset spacers improve ride qualify! I am opting for a strut lift over just the spacers for the 1.5in lift.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

After researching more and the weekend come by the stock wheels have grown on me I think I'm just going to get them powder coated matte black in this case I'll be going with some spacers I think. Do you by chance have a link to the ones you've installed ?

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Awesome, I actually found those through some postings here also the supreme suspension ones, they seem like the same product really. I pulled the trigger on these this morning

https://www.supremesuspensions.com/products/2021-2022-ford-bronco-sport-hub-centric-wheel-spacers-5-x-108mm-bolt-pattern-m12-x-1-5-studs-63-4mm-center-bore?_pos=1&_sid=7d74064ee&_ss=r&variant=42992116105467

I'm going with the 1.5in I want a bit of an aggressive looks and I think these with the 245's will hang out just a bit.
Sponsored

Last edited: