Got past the dreaded 1st scratch !

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
An armed society is a polite society.
We are very very polite when we get into fender benders or swap paint...always...
Our crime rates are very low here.
:flag:
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
By the way, I want to thank all involved in this conversation for being civil and keeping it polite. That isn’t always what happens as we all well know, and it is a delight to see that happen here.

We should be to talk about what unites us and what makes us different without becoming defensive about those differences.
100% agree (and disagree). I always stand behind the idea I am not right and you are not wrong, as is the case either way. It's a cultural thing without a doubt. Again, I am not in favor of guns, I respect anyone who carries or decides to. It's our constitutional right, and once those dominoes start to fall, chaos is next. You have a solid point, and having spent time in Ontario as a kid I know the rules and laws are managed very differently. My son and I just talked today on the drive home on how impossible it would be, though advantageous to convert the US to metrics instead of imperial measures. Flat out it's just easier. But it would cause SO much problem with how everything is done here it would never fly.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I deleted my original post. The moderators would not like it..
Osco you are absolutely free to state your view of it, the hard part is others respecting or simply walking away from it. Is what it is. Not my cup of tea, but I am sure many of my interests are not agreeable with others. No worries. I think you always bring experience and depth of knowledge.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
100% agree (and disagree). I always stand behind the idea I am not right and you are not wrong, as is the case either way. It's a cultural thing without a doubt. Again, I am not in favor of guns, I respect anyone who carries or decides to. It's our constitutional right, and once those dominoes start to fall, chaos is next. You have a solid point, and having spent time in Ontario as a kid I know the rules and laws are managed very differently. My son and I just talked today on the drive home on how impossible it would be, though advantageous to convert the US to metrics instead of imperial measures. Flat out it's just easier. But it would cause SO much problem with how everything is done here it would never fly.
I would love it if the USA converted to metric. It is SO much easier to use.

Pmus, since our economies are so closely tied together (inseparable actually at this point without causing serious hardship in both countries) it would make trade easier. Canada is stuck in this weird neverland where some things are metric and some imperial depending on what you are talking about. Body weight and height? Imperial. Speed and distance? Metric. Nuts and bolts? Metric. I actually have to have two sets of sockets because of this. Also, when I buy something made in the USA or for the USA, I throw out all the standard hardware and replace with Robertson or Allen keys as they are less likely to slip. I have boxes and boxes of screws and bolts for this purpose. Some days I want to smack Robertson as IF he had agreed to sell his idea to GM, everyone would be using it. GM went with Phillips and the rest is history.

cheers!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I would love it if the USA converted to metric. It is SO much easier to use.

Pmus, since our economies are so closely tied together (inseparable actually at this point without causing serious hardship in both countries) it would make trade easier. Canada is stuck in this weird neverland where some things are metric and some imperial depending on what you are talking about. Body weight and height? Imperial. Speed and distance? Metric. Nuts and bolts? Metric. I actually have to have two sets of sockets because of this. Also, when I buy something made in the USA or for the USA, I throw out all the standard hardware and replace with Robertson or Allen keys as they are less likely to slip. I have boxes and boxes of screws and bolts for this purpose. Some days I want to smack Robertson as IF he had agreed to sell his idea to GM, everyone would be using it. GM went with Phillips and the rest is history.

cheers!
I do a lot of precise measuring and detail for some race teams in all three major series. I use metric to measure and fit. It's far more accurate and easier to manipulate on my templates. Sorry trying to scale 7 & 3/32 is a pain. 33mm...easy...
But a liter of gas....come on man...though I like the idea of traveling 120+ on a highway ?

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do a lot of precise measuring and detail for some race teams in all three major series. I use metric to measure and fit. It's far more accurate and easier to manipulate on my templates. Sorry trying to scale 7 & 3/32 is a pain. 33mm...easy...
But a liter of gas....come on man...though I like the idea of traveling 120+ on a highway ?
MPG. We use imperial not USA gallons up here IF we use them. Mileage is in l/100km. I have no flipping clue what I get in my bronco sport without google to tell me. It is about 8.4l/100km with roof racks for bikes and A/T tyres mixed over 8000km. Best I got? 7.5l/100km.
??

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ok so I went 320grit wet sand to cut the rough edges and get a smooth surface after a thorough wash to ensure I wasn't grinding dirt into the plastic.
Ford Bronco Sport Got past the dreaded 1st scratch ! PXL_20210808_200811755

Used the heat gun had to set it to the high temp and it quicky started to smooth and draw out the oil and darken the plastic. Also took some time to smooth some rough patches.
Ford Bronco Sport Got past the dreaded 1st scratch ! PXL_20210808_202625696

Continued heat gun and applied ceramic
Ford Bronco Sport Got past the dreaded 1st scratch ! PXL_20210808_203258359

Plastic was getting hot so I stopped for today, going to try more heat later and some plastic restore. It will be better than it was and....it's a bronco now.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I went 320grit wet sand to cut the rough edges and get a smooth surface after a thorough wash to ensure I wasn't grinding dirt into the plastic.

Used the heat gun had to set it to the high temp and it quicky started to smooth and draw out the oil and darken the plastic. Also took some time to smooth some rough patches.

Plastic was getting hot so I stopped for today, going to try more heat later and some plastic restore. It will be better than it was and....it's a bronco now.
Looks awesome! I did a repair like that for my parent’s old Jeep once upon a time. It is why I am glad we don’t have painted bumpers.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad

Keep in mind I'm not a car guy... would you need to do that to the entire bumper or just to the scratched up area? Asking from the stand point of blending in whatever you plan on applying next.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Keep in mind I'm not a car guy... would you need to do that to the entire bumper or just to the scratched up area? Asking from the stand point of blending in whatever you plan on applying next.
Well from my perspective it was a huge area and some deep scratches. I'm trying to blend it and not looking for perfection...is what it is. Sucks but it's an off-road vehicle. I want it to look nice but someone decided to &$#@ me instead. Frustrating. I go out of my way to park as far from anyone as I can. Always someone who goes out of their way to be an A-hole.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

The first battle wound is always the worst ? especially when it's not YOUR fault ?‍♂ I got a quarter size dent in the rear quarter panel from my wife dropping her end of the roof top tent. I took it hard; was going to take it to the body shop but then said f it let it ride ??? another thing to distinguish its my bronco

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Well from my perspective it was a huge area and some deep scratches. I'm trying to blend it and not looking for perfection...is what it is. Sucks but it's an off-road vehicle. I want it to look nice but someone decided to &$#@ me instead. Frustrating. I go out of my way to park as far from anyone as I can. Always someone who goes out of their way to be an A-hole.
Yeah people do it out of spite/envy or they have nothing else to do. I always park away from everyone where I go and if the lot is big ill park in the middle of 2 spaces to eliminate some a@$hole from parking next to me. ?