Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
  • Banned
Dog jumped up against my door yesterday looking to get his ears rubbed and see if I had a dog treat.
Them toe nails left a few marks ...
Now I can go out on the trails without worry :'P
Sponsored

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yep, the first one always hurts. Back in the day I had a '72 MGB that needed a fresh coat of paint. Brought it home from the body shop and was admiring how great it looked. My Dad called our labrador retriever (he was hanging out in the yard) to come into the house and the dog decided to take a short cut across the hood of the freshly painted MGB. Cried for days, LOL.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
On vacation, not sure when which makes it more frustrating. I park in Ethiopia intentionally...someone scraped my bumper hard enough they KNEW they did it. Scuff is approximately a foot and s half on a diagonal from the front driver side corner to the back half. I can likely sand it out and none of the metal is affected and seams line up, but someone did it and did not own it. Probably lucky for them and good for me. Rage would have been an understatement.

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
  • Banned
On vacation, not sure when which makes it more frustrating. I park in Ethiopia intentionally...someone scraped my bumper hard enough they KNEW they did it. Scuff is approximately a foot and s half on a diagonal from the front driver side corner to the back half. I can likely sand it out and none of the metal is affected and seams line up, but someone did it and did not own it. Probably lucky for them and good for me. Rage would have been an understatement.
I learned to control myself after getting an Aggravated Battery charge some years back.
The two Idiots who attacked me had no idea. An attorney advised them that if they wanted their hospital bills paid they should drop the charges on me and sue the store property owner for safety issues.
Careful with that rage son.
You might get shot, leave your child fatherless....
Just sayin

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I learned to control myself after getting an Aggravated Battery charge some years back.
The two Idiots who attacked me had no idea. An attorney advised them that if they wanted their hospital bills paid they should drop the charges on me and sue the store property owner for safety issues.
Careful with that rage son.
You might get shot, leave your child fatherless....
Just sayin
In the moment easier said than done but yeah in today's world you aren't joking. I threw shot and discus as a college athlete, more often than not most will run instead of confront the situation. I rarely get more than "you @##hole". I thought I was going to have a bad day at a outdoor mall. Schlumpy moron shoved his cart away and hit my door. I picked up the cart and tossed it a few parking spots onto his hood. He took a second to get out...deep breath thinking well that was a bad plan...held my ground and he simply moved the cart and flashed an undignified flying bird got in his car and left. Thoughts of a gun in his glovebox raced... I've tried to remain more level headed. I spent years kicking on that switch and admittedly it's still deeply ingrained.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Not to sound like a dick, but I am so glad that I live in a place where a gun in the glovebox gets you years in jail.

That said, I am glad you are ok and didn't give into primal urges! It is hard sometimes!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not to sound like a dick, but I am so glad that I live in a place where a gun in the glovebox gets you years in jail.

That said, I am glad you are ok and didn't give into primal urges! It is hard sometimes!
Oh don't get me wrong. I don't own guns, never have never will. Just not my thing. Don't like em and believe it or not I don't typically go looking for a situation where one might get involved. I can read situations fairly well. I spent some time bouncing in college and knew when someone needed a talk and a walk and when it was just time to go. Life happens but it seems more and more folks are headed that direction can't trust anything anymore when road rage turns into three wounded from shots fired.
Similarly this isn't being a dick or about you...if you think the law prevents a person from carrying a gun in the glovebox...be extra cautious ;) the good people follow the law. The ones making irrational decisions don't respect any law.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh don't get me wrong. I don't own guns, never have never will. Just not my thing. Don't like em and believe it or not I don't typically go looking for a situation where one might get involved. I can read situations fairly well. I spent some time bouncing in college and knew when someone needed a talk and a walk and when it was just time to go. Life happens but it seems more and more folks are headed that direction can't trust anything anymore when road rage turns into three wounded from shots fired.
Similarly this isn't being a dick or about you...if you think the law prevents a person from carrying a gun in the glovebox...be extra cautious ;) the good people follow the law. The ones making irrational decisions don't respect any law.
Fair, but even getting a gun in Canada is tricky without them being smuggled in from the USA (not joking...)
There are a lot of super stressed out people these days and it is getting worse the more polarized our collective cultures become. The internet has not helped with that. Social media in particular has been more harmful than helpful I think as it creates echo chambers which can reenforce negative things and create situations where bias is so reenforced that rational thought, as much as it ever existed, goes right out the window. It is a real pity.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right? I remember driving through Virginia with a buddy back in the early 1990s. We were on our way down to the southern part of North Carolina to visit friends.
Anyhow, we passed a billboard on a hill advertising all the guns available to by from full on assault rifles to hand guns. That, and the insane amount of litter in the ditch compared to home, were huge culture shock moments for me.
Watch Highway 61 sometime. It is a truly hilarious movie from 1991 which demonstrates what a lot of Canadians notice about travel in the USA. It is a bit dated, but every single "What the hell?!?" moment for the main character is one that I experienced as a first time traveller into the south :) Everyone takes it in the ear in that one :)
Don't get me wrong - we are far from perfect up here. We do weird in our own very special ways ;p

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Fair, but even getting a gun in Canada is tricky without them being smuggled in from the USA (not joking...)
There are a lot of super stressed out people these days and it is getting worse the more polarized our collective cultures become. The internet has not helped with that. Social media in particular has been more harmful than helpful I think as it creates echo chambers which can reenforce negative things and create situations where bias is so reenforced that rational thought, as much as it ever existed, goes right out the window. It is a real pity.
worst part about social media, and this blog is no different. If ten people have torch and pitchfork ready...OH SNAP...it's a revolt and stuff must be done NOW...I try to keep that in constant perspective and remind my dad who gets all bothered about crap going on in the community. One of the reasons I do not have tweeters or fakebooks. Ten people ranting on makes it look like a scene. Ten out of 36,000 residents isn't worth the time of day in perspective. Likewise, yes it is horrible when ten people have problem X with the sport...but in perspective that's ten out of 50,000 produced. I'm not worried.
As for securing guns, that's my biggest issue with 'gun control'. Yes the law-abiding citizen will follow the rules. The people most likely to maliciously use a gun on someone will not, do not, and won't be stopped. The adage so long as you believe or know I might be packing, the less likely you are to be ignorant and make a poor decision. A local businessman was robbed at gunpoint. He open carried every day after. Now was it just one bad day and the gun was insignificant or was it, walk-in, see a dude with a thigh holster and decide...nahh I will rob someone else.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
worst part about social media, and this blog is no different. If ten people have torch and pitchfork ready...OH SNAP...it's a revolt and stuff must be done NOW...I try to keep that in constant perspective and remind my dad who gets all bothered about crap going on in the community. One of the reasons I do not have tweeters or fakebooks. Ten people ranting on makes it look like a scene. Ten out of 36,000 residents isn't worth the time of day in perspective. Likewise, yes it is horrible when ten people have problem X with the sport...but in perspective that's ten out of 50,000 produced. I'm not worried.
As for securing guns, that's my biggest issue with 'gun control'. Yes the law-abiding citizen will follow the rules. The people most likely to maliciously use a gun on someone will not, do not, and won't be stopped. The adage so long as you believe or know I might be packing, the less likely you are to be ignorant and make a poor decision. A local businessman was robbed at gunpoint. He open carried every day after. Now was it just one bad day and the gun was insignificant or was it, walk-in, see a dude with a thigh holster and decide...nahh I will rob someone else.
Agreed. Regarding the signal boost on the internet for problems with trucks and the like. People love to complain when things go south (like me and my joke about bits falling off the Sport) which makes problems seem worse than they are. More will go on about that than they will about the good stuff without ever being accused of being a shill for the competition.
Regarding guns and gun crime, we may have to agree to disagree on that one ?. While I understand the logic you espouse above, where it falls apart is it takes as a given that guns are easy to get and all over the place. Here, they are not. To be honest, we would have far fewer of them if we didn’t share a land border with the USA since our border leaks like a sieve. The two countries have very different laws and cultures around guns and as long as we get that, all is good!
Hilarious aside: a pair of American bounty hunters in the late 1990s (I think) crossed into Ontario after someone armed to the teeth. They got through the border (harder to do post 911) and got their person up near Oakville someplace. They got pulled over for speeding on the QEW bound for Niagara by the OPP who heard thumping in the trunk while talking to them. Curious, the officer had them open the trunk. Seeing a bound and gagged person, he demanded to know wtf was going on. Thinking themselves sure in their rights, the bounty hunters explained and produced their licences whereupon the cop called in back up and arrested them both: multiple weapons offences to do with illegal storage, handling, usage, and importation, kidnapping, forceable confinement, and assault with a deadly weapon. They might have gotten out of Kingston pen by now. If I recall, the captured person may have been let go or held to see if there was an extradition request or international warrant issued. We live in very different places ?

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way, I want to thank all involved in this conversation for being civil and keeping it polite. That isn’t always what happens as we all well know, and it is a delight to see that happen here.

We should be able to talk about what unites us and what makes us different without becoming defensive about those differences.