FYI - Just revealed/introduced - Ford Explorer 2021 Timberline

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
In-depth Timberline reviews are out, e.g.,

The dark green looks sharp, and I'd consider one if I needed more 'hauling' capabilities. The Timberline strikes me as a sort of "Big Bronco Sport": AWD, skid plates, decent ground clearance, creature comforts, more space and seating room, excellent styling, but obviously not a rock crawler like the Bronco.

The center console looks pretty bad, though. Layout is off, glossy black plastic, and general cheapness for a $50k price tag. Speaking of which, at least there's no black plastic on the exterior pillars!

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Interesting. I think if someone is looking for a larger more passenger (7) vehicle with a decent towing capacity that is going to take some dirt roads to the camping site with a decent size trailer, the Explorer Timberline works. 5300 pounds is a good tow. Course nowhere near a F250 tow. But some people have more passengers than fit in a crew cab comfortably.

Ford is working harder to make their vehicles have more utility than just a highway driver.

Does not have the rear diff locks, 4x4 locks, trail crawl etc. like Bronco Sport so two different animals For two different purposes. The BS can grab a small offroad trailer for two and go places the timberline will never see.

All in what a buyer needs. Kudos to Ford for making more vehciles with more expansion.

Course no one will beat the wonderful body and face of a Bronco family vehicle. That is one thing I love about our FJ Cruiser. It is never mistaken for any other vehicle. It is a beast and tank. That is why we are going to part with our BMW for the Bronco Sport. We will have Beauty (BS BL) and the Beast (FJ CRuiser)! :clap:

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Does not have the rear diff locks, 4x4 locks, trail crawl etc. like Bronco Sport so two different animals
Agreed, but for the 1.5L trims, the Timberline is probably more capable for dirt roads and camping trips, except maybe on narrow trails.

I know a few folks who like the Sport but passed because it's not big enough for their families. If they can spare the extra $ and want an 'outdoorsy' but comfortable Ford, the Timberline is worth a look. Smart move on Ford's part: I didn't pay attention to the Explorer until this trim was announced.
Sponsored