Fuel Injector Recall Limited Kits

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hello All:
I went to my local Ford dealer to schedule the 22V859 fuel injector recall. The service manager asked me if I bought the vehicle at his dealership. I said no. His response was that he gets only 2 recall kits per week and that they are for vehicles bought at his dealership only!

Has anyone else experienced this? In my defense, when I bought my Bronco Sport I would have preferred to buy from his dealership, but they didn't have any. He was actually a bit rude about it. This is 2023. I can see a Ford dealership acting like this in 1960 when they had 25% market share, but times have changed. Very disappointing.
I had this happen in a more indirect way. I, like you, wanted to buy my BS at a particular dealership (dealership A) that didn't have any in stock, so I went to dealership B.

For the recall work, I wanted to go to dealership A, as it is roughly 20 to 25 minutes closer.

After calling dealership A in early 2023 and getting on a wait-list for repair work whenever the parts came in, a while back I was told: "We have no record of you calling / there is no repair wait-list and we don't know who told you there was one / you have to be lucky enough to call us on the day we get the parts in so we can put you on a wait-list to get it done "at some point in the future". (Notice the contradiction about the list?)

Point being, even if they shouldn't be allowed to say no, they can still "say no" in other ways 😄

That said, 2 recall kits per week does actually sound correct based on my experience calling other dealers, as well as seeing comments online.

Honestly, I would rather dealership A had told me "no" like yours did so I could have looked elsewhere to get ahead of the repair rush. I have no confidence that this recall work will get done this year (or even next year).

Based on current part allocation, let's just call it 100 vehicles a year (including any other models/years affected by the recall) can get repaired at dealership B that I am now in line at. I would be willing to wager that a few hundred people minimum called dealership B while I was waiting four months on dealership A. Thus, I assume I am looking at a multi-year wait to get this work done. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Recall isn’t on the injectors…It’s on if they leak, where does the fuel go???
The leaking fuel goes on the floor of your garage or into the ground, either way it's still a fire hazard or an environmental hazard. Nice (and cheap) fix Ford.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The leaking fuel goes on the floor of your garage or into the ground, either way it's still a fire hazard or an environmental hazard. Nice (and cheap) fix Ford.
What do you think Ford should do instead? Keep in mind the NHTSA has reviewed the data and agrees with Ford's solution. I'd be interested to hear a better idea.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
What do you think Ford should do instead? Keep in mind the NHTSA has reviewed the data and agrees with Ford's solution. I'd be interested to hear a better idea.
The NHTSA is only concerned with the possibility of a vehicle fire, would you accept duct tape as a reviewed and accepted solution? I just think Ford is obligated to fix a leaky injector not redirect the fuel somewhere else.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
The NHTSA is only concerned with the possibility of a vehicle fire, would you accept duct tape as a reviewed and accepted solution? I just think Ford is obligated to fix a leaky injector not redirect the fuel somewhere else.
IF the injectors actually leak, they will replace them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The NHTSA is only concerned with the possibility of a vehicle fire, would you accept duct tape as a reviewed and accepted solution?
This is a non sequitur. If your engine suffers a cracked injector (or other fuel leak) Ford will absolutely repair it--no recall is necessary for that to occur.

I just think Ford is obligated to fix a leaky injector not redirect the fuel somewhere else.
This recall is to prevent a fire between the time your engine develops a fuel leak and you notice it and have it repaired. Redirecting raw fuel away from a combustion source prevents fire. Yeah, spilling fuel on the ground is environmentally unsound, but so is all of the poisonous smoke that would be released into the atmosphere should your car catch fire and burn. How else should Ford handle this issue?

Wazzat

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Tell the dealer that Ford recalls and Ford warranty's are honored at any Ford dealership. If he/she continues to act that way, speak with the owner, or better, ask for the regional service rep's phone number. They have to give it to you.
So can the owner or the regional rep fix it any faster than Ford can?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
So can the owner or the regional rep fix it any faster than Ford can?
I was referring to the fact that a dealer wanted to refuse warranty work because the vehicle was not purchased from them.

However, in many cases, a call to a regional service rep will get the attention to a local shop. Next step would be to contact a lawyer, as you potentially have exhausted your resources.

Wazzat

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I was referring to the fact that a dealer wanted to refuse warranty work because the vehicle was not purchased from them.

However, in many cases, a call to a regional service rep will get the attention to a local shop. Next step would be to contact a lawyer, as you potentially have exhausted your resources.

Just saying for a friend - if the parts were more available, life wouId be better for Sport owners, dealership employees (that want to take care of their customers), and those that are both! (I am in the both).

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Just saying for a friend - if the parts were more available, life wouId be better for Sport owners, dealership employees (that want to take care of their customers), and those that are both! (I am in the both).
At my age, I have come to realize that life is not always easy. I make the best of it, change what I can, and work around what I can't.

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had a similar situation where I called multiple Ford's asking if I can get in for the recall. They all said I needed to go to the Ford I got my vehicle from. I talked to multiple people from the Ford i got my bs from who said they would contact me when parts arrived. Months go by and I haven't heard anything..At this point, I am about due for my 10k service in which I call Ford (about a month or 2 in advance) to schedule that and ask if they can do the recall the same day. (Keep in mind..I am 3 hours away from the closest Ford). I arrive to my scheduled appointment. The service admin person asks if I was aware of the eta when I made the appointment. I said no and she proceeds to tell me they need to keep my car overnight for the recall and will not provide a rental. I told her I would just reschedule the recall since I was not prepared to leave my vehicle overnight. I do a quick search for rentals and decide I'll just rent a car out of pocket and come back the following day. I go back into the office and tell her I changed my mind. At this point, a service worker is in the office who tells me he can get it all done (recall included) by 2 pm. Perfect, right?! Around 1:30 pm, I get a text stating they need to order parts for the recall for my bs, otherwise, it's ready to go. I am infuriated that I made this appointment months ago, almost rented a vehicle to find out they couldn't actually get the recall done. I call the service manager and explain to him what had happened..he told me they had to do an inspection prior to conducting the work and that Ford only gets a certain amount of parts and have some parts on hand, however, they conveniently don't have the one needed for mine. My question is..is this true or is this some bs excuse?
Sponsored