Front Pads Replaced Under Recall - "Creaking" Sound Now

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello all:

The front brake pads on my BS Base were replaced last week under the recall. The new pads make a momentary "creaking" sound at just about a full stop (less than 1 mph), and momentarily creaking sound when the brakes are released upon acceleration. Other than this, there are no squeals, vibrations, drag, etc. in normal braking....in fact...the vehicle stops better than previously.

I live in south FL where the heat is +88 degrees most days now with 80%-90% humidity most days. Could weather conditions be causing this based upon a more susceptible (i.e., high humidity) brake pad material?
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I live in south FL where the heat is +88 degrees most days now with 80%-90% humidity most days. Could weather conditions be causing this based upon a more susceptible (i.e., high humidity) brake pad material?
Yep. I live in AZ but I'm on a work assignment in NC where the humidity has been nuts lately. Same creaking you described occurs here in NC but never did in AZ. Pretty sure it's just moisture related.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Could be a great many things with all the mechanical components interacting.

How far have you driven it since the new pads? Try driving like it is new again. Avoid hard stops. Use firm even pressure. Something may settle into place that was causing the sound. But by all means, if you think they did something wrong, which is entirely possible, you could take it back and show them. I'd give the work a chance first.

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
When mine were replaced, the dealership didn't put anti squeal grease on the pads. I did it myself after the fact. I would have much rather done the whole job myself, but the pads were "free" from Ford.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is this the sound you're hearing?

Let's get specific:
  • You hear this when the car is moving very slowly while you are applying very light pressure on the brake pedal.
  • You can recreate this noise by bringing the car to a stop, then slowly releasing the brakes until the car just barely moves while hold very light brake pedal pressure.
If so, this is fairly common following installation of new brake pads without also changing or resurfacing the rotor. The surfaces of neither the new brake pads nor the used rotor are perfectly flat—there are peaks and valleys on both and it's almost certain they do not line up. That means only portions of the pads/rotors are touching each other. It will take some time to wear enough material off of both surfaces before they mate up perfectly. This is called "bedding" the brakes. It will happen naturally over time, or you can accelerate the process with a specific procedure. You have to be careful if you decide to accelerate the bedding process; get the brakes too hot and you can glaze the rotors which can result in pulsation.

Your best bet is to just follow the owner's manual guidance as Tim suggested, and avoid heavy braking for a few hundred miles. If it doesn't get better, you feel brake pulsation, or the brakes start making other noises (squeals, squeaks, etc.) then you may have already glazed the rotors before the new pads were fully bedded in. In that case, you'll have to scuff up the rotors and go through the bedding process again.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
When mine were replaced, the dealership didn't put anti squeal grease on the pads. I did it myself after the fact. I would have much rather done the whole job myself, but the pads were "free" from Ford.
Sometimes free costs .

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Had my Bronco Sport in for the 3 unrepaired recalls yesterday. Fuel delivery module replaced, oil separator inspection complete (no issues) and pictures of the front braking system for Ford to review. Service counselor told me Ford is looking at more than just the pads to see if there are other components needing replacement to reduce wear. I'd love to find some ceramic pads to reduce dust.

OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had my Bronco Sport in for the 3 unrepaired recalls yesterday. Fuel delivery module replaced, oil separator inspection complete (no issues) and pictures of the front braking system for Ford to review. Service counselor told me Ford is looking at more than just the pads to see if there are other components needing replacement to reduce wear. I'd love to find some ceramic pads to reduce dust.
Thanks for all the input. I think that the issue is likely the combination of the humidity and rain here (6" in the past day) and that the brakes are new and have to wear-in a little. I recall that I had a similar noise on a 2013 Mazda CX-5 after a front brake pad replacement. It's not a huge problem, just a slight annoyance. I guess my OCD is just getting the best of me!

DylHSFD21

Big Bend
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had my recall on the brakes completed as well. My Lord the amount of brake dust they throw is nuts. Miss the factory pads. Never had an issue with the factory pads and wheels were hardly dirty by the end of the week. The new pads make my wheels look 20 shades darker lol.
Ford Bronco Sport Front Pads Replaced Under Recall - "Creaking" Sound Now 859BCBBB-1373-49DB-B5BC-C2CFA3BDF7C1
Ford Bronco Sport Front Pads Replaced Under Recall - "Creaking" Sound Now 03CE29F4-1E07-45FC-AD58-79A4F9391434

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I had my recall on the brakes completed as well. My Lord the amount of brake dust they throw is nuts. Miss the factory pads. Never had an issue with the factory pads and wheels were hardly dirty by the end of the week. The new pads make my wheels look 20 shades darker lol. [
It’s your car; put whatever pads you want on it. Replacing the pads is a fairly easy job. A local shop should be able to do it for less than $100.

Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport
I agree on the dust, it is ridiculous. If it would just rinse off, it would not be so bad, but it clings tenaciously and has to be scrubbed off.
Sponsored