ohiooutdoors

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This is the Spring Rate calculator I used. https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-rate-calculator.html

I used calipers, to measure the springs wire diameter, counted the number of coils and measured the outside diameter. For my Badlands the calculator said 160lbs for the fronts and 253.8lbs for the rear. So, my reasoning for a stiffer rear spring is, you have raised the front rates but not the rears. As I understand your post, you have now switched to a 14" front spring, for the Badlands? If so, I think that is an excellent choice. In looking at my OEM fronts again, the mounted length, still on the strut but off the car is 11" but of course it's compressed, on the strut and I don't actually know its free length and it may well be 14" as well. The Badlands OEM rear springs are definitely 13"!

I'm not sure what the motion ratio of the rear suspension is and I haven't attempted to calculate it yet but it's very different than the front struts, so my suggestion of a 200lbs front and a 275lbs rear may well be an underestimate of what the rear rate should be, if the OEM handling balance is to be considered. Of course we aren't running these on a race track and if a customer doesn't mind the probable increase in understeer, due to a 50lbs difference, in front to rear spring rates, instead of the OEM 90lbs but instead wants to maximize the comfort aspect, of a minimally loaded rear suspension, then a 250lbs rear spring is a good choice. I can't say the 52lbs increase (160 to 212) in the front of my Badlands has resulted in any increase in ride harshness, so I'm thinking a 25-50lbs increase in the rear would be much the same and would reduce rear sag with an increased load and improve handling, a little.

If I remember correctly your shocks are rated for 200-350lbs? What rates are you suggesting for the overload springs?
Thanks for posting!

I was looking at this kit once my factory shocks go out with the leveling kit.

I have had bc coilovers for other coils and I am even considering these for my FRS track car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Just got some new additions for my coil overs! The Landrum springs (LPS) are from Flatout’s supplier and are darkish gray or maybe a brownish gray and as good a finish as I’ve seen, on a spring. Top left is a 13” 250lbs spring, to replace the 12” Hyperco’s I have on the rear now. OEM rears, on the Badlands, are 13” but FO specs 12’s.
Top right, is a 15”, 200lbs spring and the bottom is a 16”, 200lbs Hyperco. I’ll be putting one of those pairs, on the front. My decision will be based on how much weight I have on the front tires but if it’s the 16’s I’ll need shorter end links, as I’ll have to run all the spring perches down to the lowest possible height, in order to keep my lift to less than 2.5”. I’m waiting for @Flatout Suspension to tell me what the stud size and pitch are going into the turnbuckle of the end link is, so I don’t have to replace the whole end link, if possible. I’ll need something ~3/4” shorter. The reason for the replacements is to increase my available bump travel. The 15” spring would be a small improvement but the 16 would be huge.
I was pleased to find LPS had the very unusual 15 and 13” springs and they come with a spec sheet. They had 92 of the 15’s in stock, so I requested something at the high end of their +/- 2% of their ratings and got 201.63 and 202.27. In the rear, they sent me 254.32 and 255.36lbs.
By my measurements the Hyperco’s and 13” LPS came up short, compared to their deflection specs but the 15”LPS came out ahead, which will be the most important to me, if I use them. The Hyperco 16’s will be overkill at any lift height. I want to keep it to not more than 2.125”.

Ford Bronco Sport FlatOut Suspension ordered & Installed A1A8A941-5608-4B06-BB30-50C395D64DAC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
After getting a weight on the front end of the car, using the "Known Spring Rate" method, which is to measure the droop, of the wheels, with the front end off the ground, i.e. droop x spring rate = the sprung weight, on that wheel, which I had previously estimated at 865lbs, turned out to be an avg of 907.6lbs
After some discussion, with another member here and finding out he seems to have received a different front strut from Flatout, than I did. One of those changes, a 14," 175lbs front spring, had me second guessing my new front spring ideas, so I left my 14" 212lbs Hyperco's on and just raised the front another 3/8", to an even 2", after getting the weights, partially because Flatout says they shoot for a 45%/55%, compression to Bump ratio and my compression under load was an ~average of 4.25", of the shocks 8" of travel. A softer spring would just increase that, 4.25", number, unless there is some other limiting factor, in the suspension. Now one of the things I don't know is, if this is a general recommendation, of theirs or an off road vehicle or Bronco Sport specific recommendation.

In the rear, after a close look at how my spring was sitting on Flatout's spring adjuster, at full droop and knowing I wanted to raise the rear another ~1.25", I decided the 13" LPS spring made more sense and now recommend that 13", 250lbs spring, for any rear lift more than my previous 1.25" and not the 12" they normally supply. OEM rear spring, on the Badlands, is 13". You could get to a 2" lift, I think, with the 12" spring but it would be very near the end of the adjuster and under full droop the spring would bow more because of the relative angle difference.

Dirty from latest trip, to Upper Shoe Creek and near by areas but with the 2" lift. Numerous YouTube videos of Upper and lower Shoe Creek, now we've done both. We may get one up.

OEM front spring is 15" Flatout front strut is ~ 1.5" longer than OEM

A further inspection, of the rear springs shows that a 14", 250lbs will fit in the rear, if you want a 2' lift, with maybe 1/8" to spare but you would either need to install the springs, while compressed, which is what my guy did this time or maybe use HRG's rear brake line relocation parts and maybe both would be helpful.
I now have 11" of clearance down the middle ~1/3 of the car, front to rear, even with my HRG front skid plate and 12.625" at the bottom of the front jack point and 13.5" at the rear. On another note, related to my ground clearance, I do not have Flatout's 1.5" rear subframe drop but I do have the Ford Ranger Lifts 1" drop, which probably gives me an extra 1/2" clearance, in the rear but I do recommend the Flatout, if you are going up to 2.5".
Ford Bronco Sport FlatOut Suspension ordered & Installed 62F8130D-C0D8-4EB1-BC84-CF39036946E7
Ford Bronco Sport FlatOut Suspension ordered & Installed F2ECB81E-F408-405A-968F-1185810FC1C9
Sponsored

Last edited: