First Edition Wheels, Are they More Delicate?

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
So I am contemplating purchasing the Ford Performance First Edition wheels for my BL.

I'm reading online black wheels like those are typically more fragile as they scratch/swirl/mar a whole lot easier than standard wheels. On my old Outer Banks I noticed the black on the wheels had swirl marks and surface scratches but am not sure if they were received from the dealer like that. Even if it was due to my cause, I didn't mind too much as they were the factory wheels and I didn't pay extra for them.

Now, if I purchased the FE wheels at $1k I would definitely be pissed if I scratched them up. Keep in mind, I do routinely use automated car washes.

Is that a recipe for screwing up the wheels and should I not bother or is there something I can do to mitigate any damage I may possibly cause by using those car washes?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Black wheels are purty, but they're much harder to keep clean, and show defects far better than lighter colors. Tis the way of things...

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Anything gloss black is going to show scratches and automatic car washes are a good place to get scratches. I’m talking about auto washes that are not “touch less”. If you are concerned about the scratches on your wheels, you might want to take a look at the body panels too. If you are not using a touch less wash, then you’re entire vehicle is covered in scratches at this point.

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Edge ST Line, 22 BS Badlands
Ceramic coating is of great benefit on black wheels…I use CQuartz…also great for the piano plastic.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Anything gloss black is going to show scratches and automatic car washes are a good place to get scratches. I’m talking about auto washes that are not “touch less”. If you are concerned about the scratches on your wheels, you might want to take a look at the body panels too. If you are not using a touch less wash, then you’re entire vehicle is covered in scratches at this point.
I hear you, but like on my older OB, I'm not TOO concerned about swirls on the body panels as I can polish/wax them off. Not sure that can be done/worth it to the wheels as well.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Ceramic coating is of great benefit on black wheels…I use CQuartz…also great for the piano plastic.
Is that the one in a kit that's like $70-ish?

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D-Lux for the wheels and plastic trim
3.0 for the body

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You Tube man!

In all seriousness it’s easy to use on wheels…even easier if you take them off and have them on a table…the “workable” area on a wheel is relatively small and that product is forgiving.

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I had black wheels on my JCW Mini. Lots of chips, etc. Not a big fan.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I had black wheels on my JCW Mini. Lots of chips, etc. Not a big fan.
Yeah, that what I fear with the FE wheels. They look great AND include a new set of TPMS for $900 but if they are as fragile as my black-trimmed OB wheels were I feel they will have swirls/scratches/damage very quickly.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Okay, rant warning, this is entirely my opinion on black wheels.

Like a black car, the wheel itself only looks “good” when it has just been cleaned. As you are concerned about, they also show any and all scratches.

That being said, black wheels hide all the details of a wheel, which to me is terrible. They just turn into “black holes” that have no style to them. Unless you are up close to them, they are just a blank.

Now, mount a tire on that shiny black wheel. Now you have competing colors because black is more than just black. The only time it sort of looks okay is again when the wheels are clean and the tires have some “AmourAll” on them. A couple of days later the pair looks like crap again because the tire is dull/dirty and you have something that is kind of black against something that is shiny black.

God forbid you do all of this on a black car. Then you have 3 different blacks all competing.

Rant off

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
I concur with @Meanderthal on this. Also $1000 bucks? Nope. I would personally take my stockers to our local wheel powder coater folks. Have them done black in any sheen you like for $400 bucks. I would do a satin powder coat myself. But to each their own.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Okay, rant warning, this is entirely my opinion on black wheels.

Like a black car, the wheel itself only looks “good” when it has just been cleaned. As you are concerned about, they also show any and all scratches.

That being said, black wheels hide all the details of a wheel, which to me is terrible. They just turn into “black holes” that have no style to them. Unless you are up close to them, they are just a blank.

Now, mount a tire on that shiny black wheel. Now you have competing colors because black is more than just black. The only time it sort of looks okay is again when the wheels are clean and the tires have some “AmourAll” on them. A couple of days later the pair looks like crap again because the tire is dull/dirty and you have something that is kind of black against something that is shiny black.

God forbid you do all of this on a black car. Then you have 3 different blacks all competing.

Rant off
very good points. Very good.
I concur with @Meanderthal on this. Also $1000 bucks? Nope. I would personally take my stockers to our local wheel powder coater folks. Have them done black in any sheen you like for $400 bucks. I would do a satin powder coat myself. But to each their own.
Unfortunately, in my area it would cost $800.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Had a Lexus with machined and black painted wheels. The black painted parts were just like a black car, always showing swirls.
Sponsored