Disconnecting Battery - computer issues?

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hello all,
I know this is not exactly a Bronco specific question, but
with the purchase of my Outer Banks I'm only now, for the first time, concerned about effects of disconnecting the battery and possible computer issues.

e.g. if I want to do an engine bay cleaning/detailing with moderate/low pressure water rinse, I heard talk about disconnecting the battery to avoid possible shorts at electrical connectors.

However, others say that disconnecting the battery erases all memory/settings/learned data from the on-board computer.

So - is it better to leave the battery connected and just cover/tape critical connectors/sensors and be careful?
I know that modern engines are pretty much water proofed...?
(I have to mention that I received my engine cover later and it is still off/not installed, so all is in the open)

What is the proper way of approaching this?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored

Kritas

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've never disconnected a battery to clean an engine. In my experience, most data is stored in programmable chips and won't be lost if the engine is disconnected. The clock is often an exception.

Mind that you don't spray cold water on a hot engine, but I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
However, others say that disconnecting the battery erases all memory/settings/learned data from the on-board computer.
Yes, you will likely lose the learned data from the powertrain control module (PCM). I believe the data is retained for a short period--15 minutes comes to mind--but even if you lose the learned data it's not really anything to be concerned about.

The PCM controls (among other things) the engine based on engine sensor readings and stored data. If there is no stored data it starts from a base map. The base map uses very conservative numbers to start with, but as you drive the car the PCM stores new data to work from fairly rapidly. Because you are starting from a conservative base map, if you are an aggressive driver (like to step on the gas hard) you may notice a slight reduction in power output for the first 50-100 miles as the PCM writes new data. If you aren't an aggressive driver you may not notice any difference at all.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Try to avoid heavy spraying around or directly on the alternator.
Because your engine cover isn't installed, avoid heavy spraying around the COP's (coil on plug) it can lead to misfire.
Don't directly spray around the back of the headlights, moisture can get in there as well.
I don't know if you have a leaf blower, but they are useful in helping to dry out the engine compartment, I also use it to dry the BS after washing.

OP
OP
BroncMan

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks All, for the tips!
I'll take all in consideration and be very easy on everything. It'll be in the spring after Broncito's first winter - so no heavy dirt anyways.
Reg. battery disconnection - I'll stay away from it / leave connected. If ever a disconnection / new battery is needed I'll use a memory saver device / battery backup of some sort.

Thanks
Sponsored