Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I’m really not minding the start/stop at stoplights, not quite as good as a hybrid, but not bad. Gets a little annoying in really bad freeway traffic though, since you only stop for a few seconds at a time. I’ve noticed if I turn the wheel at all it kicks the engine on. I usually do that if I need to punch it to make a turn.
Sponsored

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
Cool thing about that "defeat" module that plugs into the OBDII connector -- at least the one I saw -- it really just defaults the button to OFF on startup. It otherwise functions the same, you have access to auto start/stop enabled, then disabled anytime you want by pressing the button.
I watched the video on this and what it actually does is ‘remember’ what you had set it last. So if auto start was on when you turned the ignition off, that will be the setting on next start up. Same thing if it was off, it will remember that. The button works as normal otherwise, it just remembers your last setting. I’ll buy it at $100 bucks, I cannot seem to remember to turn it off every start up. Thanks for for the heads up thesavo!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I watched the video on this and what it actually does is ‘remember’ what you had set it last. So if auto start was on when you turned the ignition off, that will be the setting on next start up. Same thing if it was off, it will remember that. The button works as normal otherwise, it just remembers your last setting. I’ll buy it at $100 bucks, I cannot seem to remember to turn it off every start up. Thanks for for the heads up thesavo!
based on another vehicle we have with it, one option is just manually turn it off after starting the car. The other is learn to feather the brake JUST enough to keep it from shutting down the motor. I just wonder what the long term effect on the starter will be?

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
based on another vehicle we have with it, one option is just manually turn it off after starting the car. The other is learn to feather the brake JUST enough to keep it from shutting down the motor. I just wonder what the long term effect on the starter will be?
I know you can come to stop and when you see the light about to turn green let off the brake to start and back on again to stay put until ready to go. That technique works but like you I wonder the long term effect on the starter as well. I think a replacement starter might be more expensive than the gas I save. I just think the auto start is gimmicky and not needed. To each their own.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I know you can come to stop and when you see the light about to turn green let off the brake to start and back on again to stay put until ready to go. That technique works but like you I wonder the long term effect on the starter as well. I think a replacement starter might be more expensive than the gas I save. I just think the auto start is gimmicky and not needed. To each their own.
Agreed and my wife hates it in her vehicle. It's very distinct when it starts up and has a pedal lag on takeoff. She has a switch to disengage it after staring the car. I don't drive hers much so I don't notice it as much as she does.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did order the AutoStop Eliminator and will get it sometime next week. I will update this thread with some updates.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I did order the AutoStop Eliminator and will get it sometime next week. I will update this thread with some updates.
Got ours the other day and installed it today. If there was an extra 1/8 inch between where you unplug the OBD connector and harness in the kick panel/hood release it would have taken 20 seconds. A little tight so I ended up putting the driver seat all the way back and reclining it fully and laying on the seat hanging upside down. Good for a head rush in an old buy like me but it works great.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Ford beefed up the starter when they went to auto stop start. It’s purpose was to reduce vehicle emissions/pollution while idling in traffic. It’s true the savings for one vehicle is probably minimal but it’s probably a different matter when tens of thousands of autos using that tech... at least the EPA thinks so.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm sure the starter takes a bit of the abuse, the battery, any electrical module in your car, lights, screens, you name it. Nothing likes constant voltage spikes created by this so ours is bye bye.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got ours the other day and installed it today. If there was an extra 1/8 inch between where you unplug the OBD connector and harness in the kick panel/hood release it would have taken 20 seconds. A little tight so I ended up putting the driver seat all the way back and reclining it fully and laying on the seat hanging upside down. Good for a head rush in an old buy like me but it works great.
I finally installed my Autostop Eliminator this afternoon and it went relatively quick, about 5 minutes. I disconnected the loom from the OBD connector easily, I then clicked the Eliminator to the OBD but the hard part for me was trying to connect the loom to the Eliminator, it was tight to connect using one hand. I suggest doing it the other way around, connect to loom first. I did not do the head rush maneuver, I was on my knees outside the door. But it works great! Whatever you have it set to when stopping the engine, that is what mode it will be in on your next start. I little pricey but it does the job well.

Last edited:

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I have noticed that over the last couple of days my auto start/stop doesn't work from time to time (typically I'm in Normal mode and I switch over to Eco when I'm leaving for work). I have turned the switch on/off and there is no change (it stays running) then all of sudden yesterday it started working again and it was working this AM for a little bit, I pulled up to a stop light and it stayed running. I turned the switch off & on, no change.
Besides the load on the battery and AC the state of your battery charge makes a difference.

I have started to like the Auto start. I find it is off in the morning but works during my commute home .

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I‘m a little ambivalent about the auto start stop. There are a few places on my normal routine driving where it seems to make sense, a few stoplights where I’m there for a minute or longer. Other places it seems like it would stop for three seconds then restart. That seems like a waste in anyone’s book.

The gas savings really don’t seem to save any money when you consider the shortened battery life and the extra wear and tear on the engine and starter.

I’m not a tree hugger by any means, but I do like the thought of not spewing the exhaust at a long stoplight. And compared to my Wrangler, the auto start stop works much more smoothly.

So I guess I’ll just continue to turn it off if it won’t stay off for a minute or so.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I was one of the first to buy the eliminator module - the FB group was full of critics. 4000+ miles later and 3 months, not a single hiccup... and we have stopped hating the vehicle giving that "bump" every time it fires back up at every damn country road stop sign.

OBKriss

Outer Banks
First Name
Kriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport/2000 BMW Z3
I don't mind the auto start stop...except when I forget to disengage it at the drive thru car wash...?‍♀

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
My wife doesn't mind it , I shut it off the other day & she asked why I did that , I said ," I wanted see if it worked" , she gave me the stink eye , so I turned it back on . its her Truck & she was driving , got to let the Captain run the ship . She can only touch the Radio when we are in the SD , & only when I say its OK , so were even .:wink:
Sponsored