Diagnostic Communications Issue?

cubedtothex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I own a 2021 and I just moved from Florida to California. I'm trying to complete my registration within the 20 day period. Although my Badlands is less than a year old, a smog test is required. I already have an appointment with the DMV, however, when I went to get what I thought was going to be a simple walk-in smog test, the mechanic told me that the vehicle diagnostic/emissions software wasn't communicating with their equipment. He said I could either take it to another shop or would most likely need to go to a dealer for the fix. A quick google search revealed this: https://diag.net/msg/m3tgycdj9sc1j92kohktfl102y

I ended up calling two dealers before I got a service rep on the line. No appointments are available for weeks, but they say I can do a walk in in the afternoon. I'm really hoping they can get this done quickly. It's already been Murphy's law with this cross country move and I guess it's far from over.

Anyone else encounter this diagnostic communications issue?
Sponsored

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
If you pay the registration fee now there shouldn’t be a penalty if the smog test is delayed. Then I would schedule with a Ford dealer to perform the smog test and fix the comm issue.

OP
OP
cubedtothex

cubedtothex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If you pay the registration fee now there shouldn’t be a penalty if the smog test is delayed. Then I would schedule with a Ford dealer to perform the smog test and fix the comm issue.
This is for my initial registration with the state and unfortunately not a renewal. The smog is required to register with the state. I’m at a dealer now and they say they just have to unplug and plug a module back in and can do the test. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
cubedtothex

cubedtothex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Update, they did whatever they needed to do and did the smog test too. Thankfully I’m all set! The dealer says the shop I went too need to update their equipment/software, etc. Either way it’s done.

OP
OP
cubedtothex

cubedtothex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Annnnnd registered! Luckily we decided to go down to one car!
Sponsored