Dealer-mark up on existing customer orders

ODucksfan17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB
Just talked to ATL dealer with 2 OB's on the lot. +$5,000 over MSRP. They can kiss my butt.
I had to order mine out of state because I couldn't find a dealership from Atlanta east to Augusta that would honor x-plan.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Warren505

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
How, exactly, do you know this is a statement of fact?
Hi I was told by the dealer it was a nothing he could do it ā€˜came from fordā€™ and would be same at all dealer.
Since I have a window sticker with a price Iā€™m going to assume that the price until it finally arrives. But Iā€™m not paying a premium on something thatā€™s been on back order for 6 months!

OP
OP
Warren505

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The dealer I ordered my 2021 BB from has a no option OB with a $6k mark up.

My BB is one of the June builds waiting on a chip so I gave up and I'm ordering a 2022 from a different dealer. I didn't really want to buy from the aforementioned dealer anyway, especially if they're marking up units that aren't even special.
Hi whatā€™s the pricing ( more ? Same? Less??) and lead time quote on the 2022?
I could still go that route ā€¦ā€¦

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So here is the window sticker and also price quote from dealer with $5000 markup or premiums
Ford Bronco Sport Dealer-mark up on existing customer orders 126D83A5-9D69-4C1F-8AE9-4B912DCCAC90
That is crazy. Ordering is better. That way if dealers throw markups on orders causing people to cancel, people could sue them and sue FORD for bad faith. Bad faithā€¦ misleading another, entering into an agreement without the intention or means to fulfill it, or violating basic standards of honesty in dealing with others.

OP
OP
Warren505

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That is crazy. Ordering is better. That way if dealers throw markups on orders causing people to cancel, people could sue them and sue FORD for bad faith. Bad faithā€¦ misleading another, entering into an agreement without the intention or means to fulfill it, or violating basic standards of honesty in dealing with others.
Yup
100% agree , on not paying a premium on an agreed price!

DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
If my June build finally comes in (in probably 2 years when they fucking get around to installing RCMs in them) and the dealer tries to mark up, I'm telling them to eat dicks. My patience is waning on this vehicle and I won't stand for any more fuckery.

Edit: Just called up my dealer and flat out asked if they're charging over MSRP on customer orders. They were adamant that it would not happen at their dealership. One on their lot, or a custom order that someone canceled and I wanted to snag would be a different story, but that they will not charge over MSRP on a customers ordered vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Warren505

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If my June build finally comes in (in probably 2 years when they fucking get around to installing RCMs in them) and the dealer tries to mark up, I'm telling them to eat dicks. My patience is waning on this vehicle and I won't stand for any more fuckery.

Edit: Just called up my dealer and flat out asked if they're charging over MSRP on customer orders. They were adamant that it would not happen at their dealership. One on their lot, or a custom order that someone canceled and I wanted to snag would be a different story, but that they will not charge over MSRP on a customers ordered vehicle.
Thatā€™s good to hear they will honor the price agreeded to. Itā€™s bad enough to charge over MSRP but itā€™s total bullshit to charge over MSRP when the reason for the shortage is not from high demand but inability to supply from a parts shortage they should have planned for and anticipated. Itā€™s about time they stopped all this ā€˜just I timeā€™ delivery hull crap and started stocking parts. A large corporation like Ford should be able to do a better job. Yeah I know itā€™s a global , yada, yada ā€¦..
They have defiantly spoiling the ā€˜thrillā€™ of being one of the first to have the new model on the block that is not a lookalike suvā€¦..

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
So here is the window sticker and also price quote from dealer with $5000 markup or premiums
Ford Bronco Sport Dealer-mark up on existing customer orders 126D83A5-9D69-4C1F-8AE9-4B912DCCAC90
I am amused how this dealer is charging for what is already indicated as "included" on the window sticker. Its rather shady that these dealers are doing this, especially to people who pre-ordered their BS's. They wouldn't get this car without you the customer ordering it and thus whith the "surprise" markup, it is stealing your order so they can make money.

Raise a stink at Ford Corporate. ultimately it will not get you your car, but maybe FORD can change the way dealers do business. They already are not getting along with them with these issues. There's been a few mainstream articles out there in the news media how a rift is forming between the dealers and Ford because of these issues and others with how ford is wanting to change the way they do business moving more to "build to order".

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
One of the things I like about the X-plan is how many rules both you as the purchaser as well as the dealer have to follow. Pricing is one thing the X-plan is very clear on. In particular is the paragraph that says :
  • The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced.
In my case the dealer doesn't have an invoice price, based on my limited understanding of such things because they don't get an invoice until the vehicle is shipped from the factory. That makes sense to me and still allows the dealer some wiggle room on boosting the price except for the fact that :
  • X-Plan is a pre-determined price based on dealer invoice or A-Plan price depending on brand. The X-Plan price is noted on the dealer invoice.
The formula for that is : Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee - the fee being just 275 dollars.

I have never used the x-plan before so I have to admit I am not sure that it prohibits dealer mark ups of say 5000 because the vehicle is in high demand, but everything about the language involved seems to indicate you get the x plan price itself, not the x-plan price + whatever the dealer wants to tack on because they feel like it.

Gilstein21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I was worried my dealer would try marking up since we never signed anything official in Feb. I recently obtained a pin for xplan and they said they will accept it. Also said Iā€™d get better of rebate/incentives time of order vs purchase date. Time of order was $500 rebate with 0% financing.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
An order doesn't mean the vehicle is yours. It's not your vehicle until you do the paperwork. Dealerships won't do bill of sale, finance agreement, etc ahead of time due to liability. I tried to do the paperwork ahead of time before a Ford I ordered arrived because I was going to be out of town for weeks. The dealership said they can't because of liability if something were to happen to the vehicle in transit.
I ordered two Bronco Sports with $100 deposit to each dealer. So if one dealer does their usual nonsense I go to the other dealer. Right now Iā€™m leaning on Galpin motors. Iā€™ve done a bunch of deals with them in the past And I still donā€™t trust them? I sold cars before so I know how the dealers think $$$ and how the system works. By no means am I an expert. Just a well informed consumer. Galpin Ford is about to loose my reservation and the sale to another dealer. I told them I want the x-plan in writing and signed by the general manager. I have a lightning on reservation also, plus I asked them about the $1000 rebate eligibility. No rebate in Southern California Iā€™ll buy in Northern California?

Galpin has a brand new Bronco Sport Badlands Area 51 in stock. I offered to buy it for MSRP and the sales guy said $5000 over sticker. I told him sticker or no deal ?ā€ā™‚ he said he couldnā€™t do it. So basically, I already tried to make the deal and got turned down. So I have zero commitment to the dealership at this point in continuing forward on the sales process. South Bay Ford in LA does MSRP pricing, so they say, not sure what other baloney they conjure up once youre in F&i.

So in my viewpoint I already tried to buy the car, wether I was sitting in the office or getting pressured from a TO (turn-over) sales manager. Galpin is a straight sell. Cal Worthington is the other dealer Iā€™ve got the deposit on. I already told the manager he can keep the car if I decide not to buy it, since Im x-plan.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
I was worried my dealer would try marking up since we never signed anything official in Feb. I recently obtained a pin for xplan and they said they will accept it. Also said Iā€™d get better of rebate/incentives time of order vs purchase date. Time of order was $500 rebate with 0% financing.
The dealer also said that he needs the pin to give me x-plan pricing. Not sure what other fees they will try to roll in.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
When purchasing the BS on an X Plan, do you have to keep your MCA membership until the car is paid off?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Some dealerships ARE marking up the Bronco Sport--a lot. I spoke with a Midwest dealership yesterday about a Badlands ($35K sticker) that's currently in transit. I called to ask if it was already spoken for. The salesman said he would go check and asked for my number; I said I'd hold. He came back about 3 minutes later and said the car was not spoken for yet, and that the dealer would be selling it for $45K. I asked, "So you're marking it up ten thousand dollars?"

Salesman said, "Yes."

I said, "Ok, thanks." Click.

Two other local dealers are marking up between $3K & $5K.

What's odd (sketchy?) about all of these is they post MSRP on sites like Autotrader, and even their own websites, and you won't find about the markup until you call.

I'm all in for the free market; Ford should sell these for whatever it can get for them. But it's pretty clear to me Ford needs to make some adjustments if it wants to avoid negative backlash.

First, if the market will bear selling the Bronco Sport for $5K+ higher than the current sticker price then Ford needs to just make that the new MSRP. That's what it did with the F-150 series--new ones go for $50K-$70K!--and other popular models, and everyone accepts that without batting an eye. Dealer markups, on the other hand, look scummy.

Second, if Ford is not going to increase MSRP then it needs to communicate with potential customers exactly what's going on, i.e. that markups are not directed by Ford, and that Ford indeed permits dealers to sell cars at whatever price they choose. That would give people incentive to shop around. The market is a two-way street, and people have made it clear they are more than willing to travel to get a deal. Further, most dealerships will ship new cars anywhere customers like. That should take care of markups for everyone except those who just have to have a car RIGHT NOW.

Third, Ford needs to hammer dealers who add markups to customer orders. Reports suggest that Ford is moving to an order-based sales model rather than the lot-browsing model we are used to. If that's the case, then Ford needs to either come up with a standardized ordering process, or if it's going to allow each dealership to design their own ordering process it has to force dealers to stick to their agreements. Dealers who renege reflect badly on Ford, not just on themselves.

The internet makes it far too easy for people to get the word out on scummy behavior, and Ford needs to get a handle on it. The Bronco Sport has the potential to be a very big money maker for Ford, but not if people can't buy one without feeling like they're getting screwed.
Sponsored